Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Car Awards

Star Car Awards

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Territory is tops
    Paul Gover
    28jan05

THE new Falcon-based family fighter has just won the most prestigious award in Australian motoring, the News Limited Star Car contest.

The family wagon has topped the national poll of motoring editors at Australia's leading daily newspapers, with four first-place votes and a strong show of high places.
    It finished well ahead of the second-placed Subaru Liberty, with the tightly focused Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII trailing in third. It is Ford's second victory in the eight years of the Star Car award, following success for the born-again BA Falcon in 2002.

The Star Car judging was open to all new models launched in Australia in 2004, from bargain-basement city cars to high-priced sports cars and exotics.

Judges rank their top six cars, with points awarded on a 10-6-4-3-2-1 scale, based on design, engineering, safety, value and how they compete against their showroom rivals.

They rated the Ford Territory clearly ahead for 2004, both for its breakthrough place in the motoring world and its success with its target customers.

"Ford took a $500 million punt during the depths of its AU-induced troubles. The result is the Territory, a brilliant concept that's been developed into a crossover so relevant for its time. It really does drive like a car," Mike Duffy, of The Advertiser in Adelaide, says.

"Ford's Territory – all-wheel drive or rear-drive – is not only a competent, all-Australian wagon but also a credit to Ford Australia's design and engineering skills," Bruce McMahon, motoring writer at The Courier-Mail in Brisbane, and one of Australia's leading four-wheel-drive testers, says. "This is a highly versatile, stylish and dynamic Australian wagon with widespread appeal."

James Stanford of the Herald Sun is also a fan: "The Ford Territory is the right car at the right time. It's an affordable big crossover wagon with tons of torque that is fun to drive – Ford showed it could be done. It uses more fuel than a Falcon, but most owners are willing to make that sacrifice," he says.

But the voters were also enthusiastic about the Subaru Liberty, particularly the oddly named 3.0R B-Spec six-cylinder hero car at the top of the range. Two voters went for it and another added the turbocharged Liberty to the top of their voting cards.

Keith Didham, of The Mercury in Hobart, says: "The real surprise was the Liberty 3.0R B-Spec, proving, finally, that the Japanese can take on the Europeans and beat them in designing a true driver's car. Terrific 3-litre six, superb handling and well packaged with equipment for under 55 grand. Only fault is a lack of stand-out styling to differentiate it from the Liberty."

Kevin Hepworth, of The Daily Telegraph in Sydney, says: "How does Subaru do it for the money? The Liberty Spec B looks great, goes better and provides an extremely practical family option."

It wasn't just the Territory and Liberty that won votes. The judging panel scored points for everything from the giant Land Rover Discovery and BMW X5 turbo-diesel four-wheel-drives, to the baby Mazda3 and stylish new Peugeot 407.

The Lancer Evo and Porsche 911 were obvious choices for driving enjoyment.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAY

Paul Gover
    THE Territory is the most significant car of the year, as well as a great drive and an ideal design for Australian families and roads.

It is a tribute to the tenacity of Geoff Polites in driving the $500 million project through head office in Detroit.

Personally, I also enjoyed the all-new Porsche 911 and was surprised by the all-round strengths of the baby BMW 1-Series, particularly with a sub-$50,000 starting price.

James Stanford
    THE Ford Territory is the right car at the right time. It's an affordable big crossover wagon with tonnes of torque that is fun to drive. It uses more fuel than a Falcon, but most owners are willing to make that sacrifice.

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII takes road-holding to a new level using technology straight of a high-speed rally stage.

The new Odyssey looks cool, carries seven people, rides well and has great build quality and an excellent price (from $38,990).

Kevin Hepworth
    HOW does Subaru do it for the money? The Liberty Spec B looks great, goes better and provides an extremely practical family option.

The Lancer Evo is hard to beat in the bang-for-your buck stakes. It's superb fun at a price that will not make you choke...and space for four.

If money is no object it is hard to go past the Porsche 911 Carrera S Tiptronic for sheer driving enjoyment.

Mike Duffy
    FORD took a $500 million punt during the depths of its AU-induced troubles. The result is the Territory, a brilliant concept which has been developed into a crossover so relevant for its time.

It really does drive like a car.

When kitted out with seven seats it matches the carrying capacity of a people mover, and with all-wheel-drive drive train fitted it is a true adventure vehicle for the family on the move. And model for model, the price is right.

Bruce McMahon
    THE Territory is a credit to Australia's design and engineering skills. This is a versatile, stylish and dynamic wagon with widespread appeal.

Land Rover has moved the goal posts further down the track with the handsome Discovery, a competent, seven-seat four-wheel-drive.

The Liberty GT is a real alternative to higher-priced European sports sedans and wagons; a smooth and symmetrical approach to prestige motoring with punch.

Keith Didham
    THE surprise package was the Liberty 3.0R B-Spec, proving that the Japanese can beat the Europeans in designing a true driver's car.

Terrific 3-litre six, superb handling and well packaged with equipment for less than $55,000.

Ford deserves praise for developing the innovative Territory from the ground up. Handicapped by a thirst for fuel.

Clear winner in the small-car class is the Mazda3, which has given the brand the edge it lost in recent years. Fine handling and performance.

Neil Dowling
    JAPAN takes on the Euros with the Subaru Liberty GT, a rapid sports machine with stunning turbocharged performance and cabin versatility. Beautiful quality and a five-star safety rating trounces European rivals that cost twice the price.

The Ford Territory is a great concept that comes at an affordable price, while the Peugeot 407 is a delightful French drive with superb comfort and a willing V6 engine.

HOW WE VOTED
    Paul Gover, CARSguide Melbourne

Ford Territory
    BMW 1-Series
    Honda Odyssey
    Porsche 911
    Mazda3
    Subaru Liberty 3.0R B-Spec
    James Stanford, CARSguide Melbourne

Ford Territory
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII
    Honda Odyssey
    Ford Fiesta
    Mazda3
    Mercedes-Benz SLK
    Kevin Hepworth, CARSguide Sydney

Porsche 911
    Volvo S40 T5
    BMW 530i Sport
    Ford Territory
    Mike Duffy, CARSguide Adelaide

Ford Territory
    Peugeot 407
    Mercedes-Benz SLK
    Volkswagen Golf V
    Bruce McMahon/Gordon Lomas, CARSguide Brisbane

Ford Territory
    Land Rover Discovery
    Subaru Liberty GT
    BMW X5 Turbo Diesel
    Ford Falcon GT MkII
    Holden Monaro VZ
    Keith Didham, CARSguide Hobart

Ford Territory
    Mazda3
    Peugeot 407
    Honda Odyssey
    Honda Integra
    Neil Dowling, CARSguide Perth

Subaru Liberty GT
    Ford Territory
    Peugeot 407
    Mazda3
    Audi A3
    I am the Stig

Mein got! The Plagerists themselves! well done to ford for paying the right amount to some of the judges!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

i dont rate any of the newspaper motoring editors at all, especially CARSguide, they just seem to miss the point completely sometimes
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Cars guide talked about car badges, and missed the entire reasoning behind why honda uses an H..... BECAUSE THE HONDA NAMES STARTS WITH ONE YOU TWIT!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I guess when it comes to the journo's, they reckon everyone with an opinion of the best car deserves to spread it around.
    I am the Stig

How come i have never herd of this awards before? Where have i been
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Well from the above opinions, it seems you havent missed much Slick WCOTY, PCOTY and BFYB are the main ones anyway. If only Wheels done their mega speed test every year rather than every 5 years or so
    I am the Stig

Yay Ford won again, i hope the tezza wins COTY, then that will shut all u ppl who say they ford pay the judges off
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Who the **** has said that lol

Maybe its just the lack of competition from groundbreaking cars.
    I am the Stig

I wonder will the terra get to the UK ?

Did you watch 5th gear last night?? RX-8

Nah i missed it....

Its a possibility it could go to the UK, but i think theyre direct market might be China with the LWB models cause when they showed them at the Beijing Motor Show, they liked them. UK is a possible market still though, dont know how it would go alonside Land Rover though
    I am the Stig

Good Day,

Just wondered if you might of heard of the Shu-Roo company and their products. Seems they are preventing collisions with kangaroos in your country (Australia) and could possibly help to prevent accidents with other types of animals.

Any comments concerning its effectiveness would be appreciated if you are aware of any possible users of this equipment.

As for Peugeot, is it a good seller in Australia? The 407 rates well in looks, however, what about economy?

Thanks

Peugeotnut

Sorry never herd of it. But we have a thing called a roo-bar that helps stop roo's out of control Jimmy Richards needed one lol

shu roos work fine but people never turn them off and i can hear them, plus this sounds like advertising so watch, it will not be tolerated by the mods
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information