Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG (C197) 2010-

If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I'm not sure. I'd rather have something than nothing, like what Honda did- cancel everything cool for the time being. I mean, why bother then?

Sure, the modern SLs may be missing out on the Sport and the Light part, but at least they sure as hell sell. And the AMG versions are a hoot.
    I don't know, I think all SLs (road cars) have always been pretty heavy, and they moved away from the "sport" since...second gen perhaps?
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

How long before we see official pictures without that camouflage on it? Oh and isn't this now the most powerful n/a v8?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkzzter View Post
    How long before we see official pictures without that camouflage on it? Oh and isn't this now the most powerful n/a v8?
    The car will be unveiled at Frankfurt, maybe a bit earlier on the web.
    I believe the most powerful naturally aspirated engine right now is or the new 4.5 from Ferrari, I don't recall other V8 engines so powerful but naturally aspirated too. The Saleen S7 V8 is a bit less powerful iirc.

S7 debuted with 550bhp I think, so yeah the new Ferrari is more powerful....

Its quite crazy actually, S7 is what I would consider at the time as a "supercar" or even "hypercar" while the 360-430-458 Ferrari not I'd consider as such, but the level have moved on considerably....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Yes eh, I talk to hellcat about this and he contends that the F430 is a supercar (if memory serves) and I said it isn't. The McLaren F1 was a supercar and has less horsepower than the 458, am I right? I suppose I would still call the 458 a sportscar but it is a really freaking fast sportscar. Ferrari though seem to reserve another special spot above for really heavy hitter that's a supercar.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    You *shouldn't* need more than 500hp...
    Excellently said.

No, the F458 puts out 562hp vs the McLaren's 627hp.

I sort of refer to the McLaren as being the first hypercar, but I'm probably way off. To me it's just more than "merely" a supercar.

The Saleen 427 was loosely based on Ford's NASCAR motor, but with the block done in aluminum instead of iron. If I remember correctly they did it mainly for the weight saving; 150'ish lbs.
    Turning money into memories.

Weird, I was gonna check the McLaren F1's horsepower but for some reason thought it was in the 500s. That is poor quality by me.

I'd like to see the F1 on Top Gear's test track...

I was conisdering asking if the McLaren F1 would get tested by the 458 then I saw that it weighed around 700 pounds less.

Long live The King.

The McLaren F1 engines is a V12 though, while we were talking about V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Weird, I was gonna check the McLaren F1's horsepower but for some reason thought it was in the 500s. That is poor quality by me.

I'd like to see the F1 on Top Gear's test track...

I was conisdering asking if the McLaren F1 would get tested by the 458 then I saw that it weighed around 700 pounds less.

Long live The King.
    The suspension and tire technology have moved on considerably though, and McLaren's road car oriented suspension isn't very "sporty" per se.....the switchable damping and such have allowed for much less compromise, and stuff like electronic diff have made utilize big power effectively more managable....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Mercedes SLS AMG

New SLS pics. Don't have much to say really apart from.. FINALLY! I get to see the pics. I've been waiting for this all year. And I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And a few more pics

2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG - Images, Specifications and Information

Some stuff and more pics here. Can't really be bothered with the info... too busy drooling over the looks.
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 09-10-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG: fascination and high tech: The new 'Gullwing' from Mercedes-Benz

Stuttgart/Affalterbach – The new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, which is about to celebrate its world premiere on 15 September 2009 at the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt/Main, embodies a blend of consummate automotive fascination and high tech. The super sports car delivers a compelling mix of purist styling, consistent lightweight design and superior driving dynamics. At the same time, the SLS fully lives up to all the expectations of hallmark Mercedes everyday practicality and optimum safety. In essence, the new 'Gullwing' offers the ideal synthesis of the strengths of Mercedes-Benz and AMG.

The new super sports car from Mercedes-Benz and AMG makes for an alluring proposition with its unrivalled technology package: aluminium spaceframe body with gullwing doors, AMG 6.3-litre V8 front-mid engine developing 420 kW/ 571 hp peak output, 650 Nm of torque and dry sump lubrication, seven-speed dual-clutch transmission in a transaxle configuration, sports suspension with aluminium double wishbones and a kerb weight of 1620 kilograms based on the DINstandard – this superlative combination guarantees driving dynamics of the highest order. The ideal front/rear weight distribution of 47 to 53 percent and the vehicle's low centre of gravity are testimony to the uncompromising sports car concept. The 'Gullwing' accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.8 seconds, before going on to a top speed of 317 km/h (electronically limited). The fuel consumption of 13.2 litres per 100 kilometres (combined) puts it at the front of the competitive field (all figures provisional).

"Mercedes-Benz is presenting an exhilarating super sports car in the guise of the new SLS AMG, which is bound to set the pulses of all car enthusiasts racing that extra bit faster. The brands Mercedes-Benz and AMG have joined forces to create the SLS AMG– which is set to become one of the most alluring sports cars of all time", says Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars.

"Our customers will experience with the SLS AMG the expertise of Mercedes-AMG, built up over 40 years of motor racing. The unrivalled technology package delivers outstanding driving dynamics coupled with moderate fuel consumption figures – part and parcel of the modern-day AMG," says Volker Mornhinweg, Chairman of Mercedes-AMG GmbH.

"The styling of the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG is not only very special because of the exclusive gullwing doors. Our aspiration is to utilise this interpretation to create the classic of tomorrow and roll out the most alluring sports car of the 21st century. Our aim is also to create a new design icon, which shapes the incomparable legend of our brand, alongside Mercedes models like the CLS or the SL. At the same time, the new SLSpaves the way for the design philosophy of forthcoming Mercedes-Benz sports cars", says Gorden Wagener, Head of Design at Mercedes-Benz Cars.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Thread Information