View Poll Results: Which is the finest achievement?...

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bugatti Veyron

6 22.22%
  • Mclaren F1

21 77.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is the finer achievement?...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^ whilst that's persuasive the problem I have is the Veyron FAILED at so many attempts to meet it's targets and took the pouring of money to achieve it. IF they'd designed and then built I'd put it up there with the F1, but because it tried/failed, tried/failed and then completely failed on profits I cant see it.

It's like Schwarzenegar becoming a governor or GWB becoming president
    Nice analogy! And yes, it did fail over and over to meet its targets and then was a failure as far as profits are concerned, but 1) It did eventually meet its targets (and they were LOFTY!), and very few in the general populace will remember those failures but every carnut ages 6 and up knows what the Veyron is and what it can do, and 2) it was, as previously stated, an excercise in engineering (this is what we can do when given a seemingly impossible target and unlimited resources) and a publicity coup that lasted for years for its parent company. Every time there was a new unveiling of a preproduction car or news of progress on this awesome project, it took over the automotive press and took control of our attention and imaginations, even if only for a moment. That makes it one heck of a commercial achievement regardless of recovering the money invested from that specific project.
    I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas, I want him to **** his pants! - il Commendatore

Well, the F1's top speed record certainly lasted quite a bit longer.

They're both incredible achievements but in different automotive strata. It's like asking what the better drink is: a fine martini or a well-crafted microbrew.

The McLaren F1 is the ultimate supercar in the rawest sense of the term. The Veyron is also the ultimate supercar, but can be driven by just about anyone with luxury to boot.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    Well, the F1's top speed record certainly lasted quite a bit longer.
    Yeah, just a week or two longer... give or take a decade...
    I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas, I want him to **** his pants! - il Commendatore

Both are incredible achievements and it is hard to pick just one, but I am leaning towards the Bugatti, but as I typed that I realized maybe I should say the McLaren....ugh I don't know it's tough.

I think the McLaren. It set the benchmark for supercars, it was meticulously developed and it broke the mold with it's technology and carbon fiber build. You could argue that without the McLaren the Bugatti may never have seen the light of day.

mclaren f1 can still beat a bugatti in a 1/4 mile drag race, and i adore the center seat racing position. its still my favorite car.

The Veyron is actually a bit faster according to some tests, by some 0.3 tenths. Not that it particularly matters to me.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The Veyron is actually a bit faster according to some tests, by some 0.3 tenths. Not that it particularly matters to me.
    According to the Top Gear drag race in Dubai, the Heavier Veyron won out in the 1 mile drag race, but the lighter mclaren was in the lead until about half way. I just like the center driving position, and I like the way the Mclaren looks and sounds better. it is a raw racing machine1

I don't remember last time I considered TG valuable for automotive facts.
    Anyway, the McLaren official time is 11.1 secs, the Veyron was clocked at 10.8 secs.

I still think the Veyron would be much less satisfying to own, but those are the figures you can find all over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I don't remember last time I considered TG valuable for automotive facts.
    Anyway, the McLaren official time is 11.1 secs, the Veyron was clocked at 10.8 secs.

I still think the Veyron would be much less satisfying to own, but those are the figures you can find all over the internet.
    is that the veyron SS or the original 1001 hp veyron?

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    is that the veyron SS or the original 1001 hp veyron?
    The standard Veyron, as the one discussed here or tested in TG.

oh ok. yeah i see on one site it says the Mclaren F1 did 1/4 in 10.8 and the Veyron 16.4 did it in 9.9. maybe it was the half mile that the Mclaren was quicker in, but it doesnt have a half mile time on that site for the mclaren, only the veyron.

Thread Information