Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gig's

Gig's

We're talking musical gigs people.

Spurred by my second real musical concert last night I thought it'd be a nice addition to UCP to have a dedicated thead to discuss musical events and experiences at gigs.

Last night I went and saw Goldfrapp live at the opera house with reginald (IB4R). It was a top show, and the opera house is really pretty at night.

Happiness, strict machine, black cherry and a few other songs totaly went off. And We're pretty sure IB4R was sitting next to Hugo Weaving.

What gigs/festivals/boobs are you guys fans of?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

as a highschool and college student, i was into the local music scenes and frequently went to small shows. those are still the best ones to me... when the main act is standing next to you drinking the beers they paid for, watching and singing along to the opening acts. thats a great show. (typically it is, ive seen some really bad bands that way.)

unfortunately with my carreer i move around a lot, and most of the places i havent had a good grip on the local music scene, and that depresses me.

to me the worst concerts are the big festivals where there are 25+ bands that play a very sterilized set. been to a lot of those, and they are typically a waste of money.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I went and saw Sneaky Sound System when they were on at the Enmore with some friends.. they put on a great show, but the crowd was full of irritating teen types.

Git off me lawn!
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

When I was working for telstra I went to the Nokia 6120 classic launch on the harbour in sydney, Sneaky sound played live at the event, was pretty damned epic
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

saw metallica a couple years ago. they were ok. That's the only real concert I've been to.
    A lot of the kids at my school go to the Coachella festival every year, I would liek to go to that, but the people who go are assholes and I only would like a few of the bands
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I've seen the Australian Pink Floyd, a friend's band many times, Roger Waters, The Musical Box (a Genesis tribute), Van Halen. I missed David Gilmour, Genesis, The Police, and Carl Palmer for various reasons but wanted to go to all of them - and in fact I deeply regret missing all of them.

One of my first concerts was one of the largest ever held - Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto in 2004 I believe which was initiated by the Rolling Stones as a revitalization concert for Toronto after the SARS crisis and as to say thank you to a city that has been kind to them over the years. Included in that show was The Stones of course, AC/DC, Rush, The Guess Who, Sam Roberts, The Isley Brothers, Tea Party, The Flaming Lips and many more. So I rocked out with about 450,000 other people in one of the more astounding experiences of my life. When making the epic trek to the john, we even ran into some people from our high school - what are the chances of that? I ended up walking outta Downsview Park feeling more sore than I ever had after having been cooking in the sun and standing for a large part of the day - I remember my feet absolutely killing me and falling asleep while watching Shanghai Noon with my friends at my home - they just crashed at my place.

I go to gigs all time, usually for free In the next 2 months there's 3 big festivals in the 'Berra, Stonefest (40th anniversary as well this year) which has The Dandy Warhols (!) headlining with Grinspoon (and I've been promised a media pass for it) Trackside which has The Living End headlning which is gonna rock, and then Foreshore for the fluro-wearing types.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Are classical musicians welcome here?

im going to see The Roots and Gym Class Heroes on tuesday, but my favorite shows have been Dave Matthews, OAR and Lil' Wayne, I also saw The Format at the last show they played before breaking up in January which was amazing, me and my friend me got to speak to them for a few minutes and snap a couple photos before they went on, i wish i had known it would be their last show
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

A year or so ago i used to follow my friends band Koopa around as they Gig'd. I have seen them play with hundreds of bands and in many different locations. A few places include the Astoria in London, Some place in Holland and the Electric Ballroom in Camden. The last one being the most memorable because they had made friends with Bowling for Soup so when they toured the UK a while back they asked Koopa to support them.
    Among the vast list of bands i have seen live the ones you guys may have heard of are Yellowcard and [Spunge].
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Going to gigs is one of my main hobbies. I've been to Donington Download festival 3 times and seen some awesome bands there including a few of my all time favourite performances including Black Sabbath (with Ozzy of course), Metallica without Lars Ulrich (always good because the man's a tool) and every single Machine Head have played there.

Judas Priest put on an amazing show a few years back on the reunion tour aswell as Heaven and Hell and the Australian Pink Floyd Show were both amazing too. I've seen Iron Maiden 4 times and they're always on top form when they perform live.

One of the most annoying things is that I never got to see Pantera live but I did, very luckily, get to see Dimebag Darrell with Damageplan and I have seen the other two members with Down in Birmingham twice.

I'm hoping and praying that AC/DC are coming to the UK next year because they're one of the few bands left on my wish list.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Dantera22B View Post
    Going to gigs is one of my main hobbies. I've been to Donington Download festival 3 times and seen some awesome bands there including a few of my all time favourite performances including Black Sabbath (with Ozzy of course), Metallica without Lars Ulrich (always good because the man's a tool) and every single Machine Head have played there.

Judas Priest put on an amazing show a few years back on the reunion tour aswell as Heaven and Hell and the Australian Pink Floyd Show were both amazing too. I've seen Iron Maiden 4 times and they're always on top form when they perform live.

One of the most annoying things is that I never got to see Pantera live but I did, very luckily, get to see Dimebag Darrell with Damageplan and I have seen the other two members with Down in Birmingham twice.

I'm hoping and praying that AC/DC are coming to the UK next year because they're one of the few bands left on my wish list.
    Did you ever see Pantera while they were stil together, ot was that before your time?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Going to see the Errors next saturday in moshulu, great band, average venue. can't wait
    May the downforce be with you

Seen a lot of little bands and quite a few medium sized ones. I agree with the guy who said small bands in small venues are great- one of my favorite bands is only locally known, but they're talented and great to watch.

The show I haven't made it too but can't wait to see is Dream Theater - look up a little about them, they'll do something like cover an entire album after a complete set, and never play the same song twice in the same venue... amazing

Should be attending Stonefest - I have a Studio I can sleep my hangover off in

Goldfrapp was epic. Imagine the Sydney Opera house reverberating with Allison Goldfrapp in full wail. Magic.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information