Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawsuit against NASCAR?

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Smithman, when it comes to LeMans or F1 or WRC like they have many times, it's because each rally or track has a certain feature that makes it special. Like in F1, the Monaco GP has a charisma which, as technically brilliant as it is, the Bahrain cannot capture, but in turn it IS technically brilliant. WRC Monte Carlo has the same which another tarmac rallye like France wouldn't be able to replace, but then again in turn with France spectators get to see the cars tackle a billion corners one after another. Many of us just cannot imagine how much difference a NASCAR track makes because it is all a big oval anyway, whereever you go. What makes one so different? The paint colour? The smell? The grass? Hope you catch my point.

I see what you're saying, but as someone who's gotten into NASCAR, I have to say that not all tracks are as similar as one might think. Look at Talladega, for instance--it's the longest track on the Nextel circuit, and the fact that the finish line is after the pit exit is unique and has made for some interesting finishes in the past. Talladega's also the fastest track in the circuit. So while I can see how to an outsider it looks the same as all the rest, it's simply not.

With that in mind, I just can't imagine how NASCAR would let some rich guy's lawyer push them around and make them cancel races on the tracks with so much history, like Talladega, for some guy's fancy new track that he thinks should be a part of the circuit instead.

Just wanted to bump this thread--noticed that these folks have a MySpace page set up now against the lawsuit.

http://www.myspace.com/thetracksuit

It's a shame it all ended up at the court...

Just skimmed the lawsuit and if they manage to prove that NASCAR and ISC have been exploiting their position to race at "their" tracks and exclude others, they could have a point; but then again this is franchise and the owners might as well do what they want with their race series and their tracks. I don't get it though, they are already running craftsman trucks and busch, so they are only missing the Nextel cup. It could be said that NASCAR is NOT exlcuding them from their races already, but only time will tell!
    Last edited by magracer; 07-31-2006 at 11:51 AM.
    Zag when they Zig

i'm not a big fan of NASCAR... although i do watch it from time to time, i just cant get interested in the sport. I have a friend who really enjoys it so i bet he's mad. I'll have to ask him if he know's anything on the lawsuit
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    It's a shame it all ended up at the court...

I don't get it though, they are already running craftsman trucks and busch, so they are only missing the Nextel cup. It could be said that NASCAR is NOT exlcuding them from their races already, but only time will tell!
    I think that sums up how I feel about it. Just seems rather assinine to be pursuing further. NASCAR's already giving them races. They need to get over themselves.

Thread Information