Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GAZ 21 Volga

One more car based on GAZ 21 was a GAZ 23 developed for KGB and other special services, such as cortege cars. This version, also resting on third series car, had a 5,53-liter 195hp engine (a modified GAZ 13 Chaika unit) and automatic transmission. For better weight distribution such cars carried an additional load in a trunk. From the outside it was made to look like a standard GAZ 21.

GAZ 23 - basic modification,
    GAZ 23A - prototype with a manual transmission,
    GAZ 23A1 - with special equipment,
    GAZ 23B (23Б) - lux modification.

Through 1962-1970 about 600 such cars were assembled.

Pictures can be found here:
    ГАЗ-23 Волга

Some repair services and taxi parks assembled 21's from their own or spare parts, both during and after their production at GAZ. Beside factory versions there were pickups, panel vans and campers among such cars.

Пикапы на базе ГАЗ-21/22 Волга
    ГАЗ-22 "Волга" Фургон - second picture here is GAZ's own prototype.
    ГАЗ-22 "Волга" Ж/Д

In 1965 in one of such repair services in Novosibirsk a party of parade cabriolets has been made.

Парадные кабриолеты ГАЗ-21.

In 1960s some 21's have been assembled in Belgium by Sobimpex company and sold through Scaldia company. In the beginning (since 1960) those cars had Perkins Four-99 48hp diesel engine, which was later replaced by 65hp Rover (in 1963) and 68hp Indenor-Peugeot XDP 4.90 (in 1964). There have never been diesel cars for domestic market. Through 1960-1967 a total number of 167 diesel cars have been sold via Scaldia in Benelux and Northern Europe. It is said that some 21's worked as taxis in Netherlands, Greece, Belgium, Finland, Norway etc.

Бельгийские ГАЗ-21 "Волга" Diesel - Scaldia - Sobimpex - Perkins Four-99, Rover, Indenor XDP

In 1961 Scaldia ordered a Volga redesign to Ghia, but a year after GAZ has updated the 21 on their own.

http://www.gaz21volga.com/21/21_prot...21I_Ghia_1.jpg

Here is a page with all (I think) prototypes of various GAZ 21 series, including a never-to-be fourth series prototype:

1953-1965 Прототипы ГАЗ-21 Волга.

Among factory projects there have been a 4x4 GAZ 22 prototype and a prototype of a car with fuel injection engine.

GAZ 21 engine and other mechanicals have been widely used in Soviet motorsport in sixties. Sportscars and formulas have been mainly built by drivers themselves, but GAZ has also had its own GAZ SG4 based on 21 mechanicals.

Finally, 21 has become a basis for many DIY cars and cars developed by small factories.
    Last edited by faksta; 09-05-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    You know, I've looked at a bunch of Soviet cars...they had some neat vehicles...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Just to add some illustrations to this thread, here are shots of the main three version of the GAZ21, the Star, the next and the final.
    Shots were taken at the Almaty motorshow in October 2006. (with the old Sony, so quality is slightly off). I have added the signs which were put next to the cars, I am sure Faksta will be able to read them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Sure. Maybe the translation will not be beautiful though...

Volga M21V
    1 series - 'The star'

Gorkiy automotive factory, city of Gorkiy (Nizhniy Novgorod),
    USSR
    Chief constructor - A.M.Nevzorov

Production year.............................................. ................1958
    Displacement...................................... ..........................2,12 L
    Output............................................ .............................52 hp
    Maximum speed............................................. .............105 km/h
    Fuel consumption....................................... ........13,5 L / 100 km
    Dry weight............................................ ......................1350 kg

Full restoration in year 2004
    RTS auto works

Year 1958...Zhukov's stars on Volga grilles...before marshall's opal some 31 thousand were made...a new term has appeared in motorists' slang in no way related to ichtyology - 'shark jaws'... a new Volga grille with 16 vertical vents was called so, while in Russian language a new demographic term has appeared - 'Children of the festival'...2 years until Gagarin' flight...

Second plate

Volga M21K, export
    2 series - 'Shark jaws'

USSR

Production year.............................................. ................1961
    Displacement...................................... .........................2,445 L
    Output............................................ .............................75 hp
    Maximum speed............................................. .............135 km/h
    Fuel consumption....................................... ...........12 L / 100 km
    Dry weight............................................ ......................1350 kg

Full restoration in year 2005
    RTS auto works

Year 1961...Gagarin walks through carpet for a report to the head of party and government, untied shoelace, everyone's nervous...That year money reform took place. Voznesenskiy will later write 'Take Lenin off the money!' Volga's price was 5100 roubles...
    Year 1964...In October Leonid Iljich replaced Nikita Sergeevich. Since then Brezhnev never rode Volga...
    Year 1965...Ryazanov films 'Beregis avtomobilja' at Mosfilm. Watching that movie we still live through and love Yuri Detochkin, his trophys and waltz, in time with which a beige Volga swung rushing through the highway...

And the last one

Volga M21S, export
    3 series - 'Whalebone'

USSR

Production year.............................................. ................1967
    Displacement...................................... .........................2,445 L
    Output............................................ .............................75 hp
    Maximum speed............................................. .............135 km/h
    Fuel consumption....................................... ...........12 L / 100 km

Full restoration in year 2006
    RTS auto works

Year 1967...the dusk of 'thaw' and the beginning of 'stagnation'...a year after the Beatles will decay...in 1969 Efremov drives Doronina through Moscow in his taxi in 'Three poplars on Plyuschiha'...our fathers wait for us in Alma-Ata maternities...

faksta, thankyou so much for your input, it's heavily appreciated now i don't have any doubts i will have the pics on the beginning of the next week, i'll be able to share some
    12 cylinders or walk!

I have also found some of my own pictures and thought I'd post them.

1-3. GAZ 21 (3 series) at 2008 classic rally season opening on a Red Square.
    4-5. GAZ 21 (2 series) at 2007 classic rally season closure.

ok, first picture finished. it'll be on whole page in the mag
    12 cylinders or walk!

Great! How was it made? Did someone hang on a rear bumper?

nope, it is a special construction (rig) attached to a car
    12 cylinders or walk!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Those are actually... beautiful.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    I've probably said this before somewhere, but the Volga has what is quite possibly the world's most beautiful hood ornament.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Possibly a cross section of Volga m21D engine would be of some use.

Thread Information