Thread: All-new 1,500 hp Bugatti Chiron, Ford Fiesta ST200 and Sauber C35 breaks cover ...

All-new 1,500 hp Bugatti Chiron, Ford Fiesta ST200 and Sauber C35 breaks cover ...

On the eve of the Geneva Motor Show, Bugatti took the wraps off the long awaited Veyron successor. Dubbed the Chiron, it is powered by an evolution of the Veyron's W16 engine, which is now good for a staggering 1,500 hp. This enables the Chiron to accelerate to 200 km/h in less than 6.5 seconds. The top speed in low drag mode is limited to a staggering 420 km/h. Priced at Euro 2.4 million, the striking Chiron will be limited to 500 examples, one third of which, reportedly, is already spoken for.
    An altogether more modest proposition is the Ford Fiesta ST200, which is also due in Geneva. It is a further refined version of the ST model launched a few years ago and boasts a more powerful engine and sharper chassis. Its engine is good for 200 hp, while a further 15 hp is available for 15 seconds bursts in 'overboost' mode. The Fiesta ST200's gearbox is fitted with a shorter final drive, which will allow it to accelerate through the gears even faster.
    Tomorrow, we will be covering the Geneva Motor Show with reports on the new cars as they are revealed, so keep an eye on this page for continuous updates.
    Having started the first of the two official tests with last year's car, Sauber is due to debut the new-for-2016 C35 Ferrari as Formula 1 testing resumes tomorrow for a further four days. Although the responsibility of a new chief designer, the Ferrari-powered C35 is still an evolution of the C34 raced in 2015.

Enjoy the links:

2016 Bugatti Chiron - Images, Specifications and Information

2016 Ford Fiesta ST200 - Images, Specifications and Information

2016 Sauber C35 Ferrari - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The Chiron looks kinda neat. It's like a spaceship and like nothing else on the road. The interior is very stark and minimalist for a 2+ million dollar car, but it is also unique. Not too bad really, barring the price, weight, and pomposity of it all.

It is a little expensive though; a Veblen good if I have ever seen one. Watching VW trot out special edition after special edition to push the 500 units will be both tiresome and amusing, just as it was for the Veyron.

I wonder if the Chiron was green lit before the whole Dieselgate scandal. Also, if it was, I wonder if VW would still green light it if they knew about the consequences of Dieselgate. There's certainly a lot of momentum behind product launches, so I doubt they could have stopped Chiron production anyway.

If it was early enough to be cancelled, I'm sure they would have. As it was, they'd've spent too much on it at that point to have canceled it. I don't think we'll see any expansion of the brand line up any time soon.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

That tach is awful... I do like the LED mock sealed beams for headlights, though.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The new überCorrado doesn't do it for me, much like the old one. I respect the engineering, but it leaves me cold.

There's also this problem:

Why The Bugatti Chiron Cant Match The Still-Great Veyron
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

To me though, the engineering just seems to be over the top. Not elegant solutions, just more. More power, more aero, more mass, more radiatiors... I don't see this as being near as impressive engineering as the Treifecta 2.0 (918/La/P1).

My math teacher in high school made fun of engineers because he said their job was easy. Calculate the minimum safe value, then slap a bunch of safety factors on top of it.

This reminds me of that a bit.

I think we already had a similar discussion when the original Veyron came out; if I recall correctly it was around the same time the new GT-R came out.

The GT-R was probably the most impressive achievement (essentially because it works on witchcraft) but the Veyron has to be respected too, if only because it took supercars into previously uncharted territory.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think we already had a similar discussion when the original Veyron came out; if I recall correctly it was around the same time the new GT-R came out.

The GT-R was probably the most impressive achievement (essentially because it works on witchcraft) but the Veyron has to be respected too, if only because it took supercars into previously uncharted territory.
    The Chiron arguably doesn't. I am intrigued it because it looks so futuristic, and it's such a damning indictment of new money, but we have the aforementioned Trifecta, the Regera, and stuff like the Huayra BC. The thing the Chiron has over them is outright speed, (and maybe not for the Regera).

When the Veyron came out, no doubt it was way ahead of everything. But cars be quick now, if you are willing to spend a million plus dollars. The Chiron will go that speed in a level of interior luxury like none of the other cars. It's like a super personal GT luxury car.

So, it's the new Lincoln Continental Mark IX!

http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-hist...mark-iii-iv-v/

(Complete with a blown 460 big block!)
    Visca Catalunya!

The Regera is so much more interesting to me than the Sharon.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information