Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bugatti 16C Galibier Concept 2009

Bugatti 16C Galibier Concept 2009

BUGATTI sets the course for the future

The Bugatti 16 C Galibier Concept: The most exclusive, elegant, and powerful four door Automobile in the World

Molsheim, Elsass, 14 September, 2009 – As the climax of its centenary celebration ceremonies, Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. presented customers and opinion-makers with the Bugatti 16 C Galibier concept, intended to be the most exclusive, elegant, and powerful four door automobile in the world last weekend in Molsheim. At the historic site where Ettore Bugatti once laid the cornerstone of his company, Bugatti’s current president, Dr. Ing. Franz-Josef Paefgen emphasised that the Galibier is one of several concept studies with which the company is considering for the future of the Bugatti marque.

Art - Forme - Technique: those are the brand values to which Ettore Bugatti and his son Jean oriented themselves in order to develop even more powerful engines and even more noble body designs for each new model, which were without equal in quality, handling, speed and elegance. In the process, they experimented again and again without compromise with new materials; thus was Bugatti one of the first manufacturers to use aluminium parts for bodies, engine blocks and wheels.

Art - Forme - Technique are also the brand values to which the design and engineering team of Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. oriented themselves in the development of the Galibier. With this new four-door concept car, Bugatti assumes anew a leading role in the use of new material combinations. Thus the body is constructed of handmade carbon fibre parts coloured dark blue so that, when illuminated, the woven structure shimmers through strikingly. Carbon fibre not only possesses unusually great rigidity but is also especially light. The wings and doors are out of polished aluminium.

The Galibier’s design masters the challenge of uniting sportiness with the comfort and elegance of a modern four-door saloon. The basic architecture picks up on the torpedo-like character of the Type 35, which was already revived in the Veyron, and reinterprets it. With the typical Bugatti radiator grille, big round LED headlights and the clamshell running the length of the vehicle which became synonymous with the brand identity under Jean Bugatti in the Type 57, this car transports the Bugatti genes into the modern world.

Beneath the bonnet, which folds back from both sides, there resides a 16-cylinder, 8-litre engine with twostage supercharging. What makes this engine special is that it was developed as a flex-fuel engine and can optional be run on ethanol. Four-wheel drive, specially developed ceramic brakes and a new suspension design enable the agile, always-sure handling of a saloon of this size.

The interior reflects the elemental design of the exterior. The dash panel has been reduced to the essential; two centrally located main instruments keep even the rear passengers constantly informed of the actual speed and previous performance. Parmigiani, the Swiss maker of fine watches, created the removable Reverso Tourbillon clock for the Galibier, which may be worn on the wrist thanks to a cleverly designed
    leather strap.

“Galibier” is not just the name of one of the most difficult alpine passes along the Tour de France but, in its time, was a version of the four door Type 57 unequalled in sportiness and elegance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Looks like a cross between a Bentley Continental GT and Panamera with a Veryron inspired front clip slapped on. The two-tone doesn't help the design, IMO. In a word: ick
    ...Utah! Get me two...

The front end feels oddly like an Audi to me in the general shape. Not sure if I like the exterior, but the interior is very nice.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

It looks like an unfortunate cross between a Panamera and a squashed Audi Q7. I think it's.. not for me.

Things that are wrong: too much chrome, too many exhausts, the front end. That said it looks like a good base to work on. If it's a work in progress I'm giving it the benefit of doubt, if it's the production car, close but no cigar.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The front lights actually look like eyes if you look at them close up. Love the interior, and the vertical tail light and the exhausts. Don't mind to chrome, but prefer brushed aluminium. But somehow... there's something disappointing about that car...
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

It reeks of something the Russians would buy.

I agree with Ferrer that the basics are there - the rear has a decent quality to it because it's simple lines are not fussy in their detailing (the biggest problem I have with the Panamera). The Chrome I actually don't mind, And certainly from rear 3/4 view, with the exception of the frankly ludicrous amount of exhausts, it's not unpleasant.

Having said that....the Front is plain And cheap. the Grille is unbecoming, the beak like front end is unsuitable, and the lights end up looking anime.

The Interior is revolting.

overall it's a bit like J.Lo I suppose, it's ok so long as you don't look at it's face...or inside it I suppose.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

It's not horrid, but could use a lot of improvement, I have to agree with what's been said about the exterior. The hood looks interesting though, side opening...

That fake Ettore Bugatti signature on the dash...ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    It reeks of something the Russians would buy.
    i was thinking this same thing.

i dont think this quite gets it, but i can see the start of something that is leaning to what bugatti should have been producing. classic proportions mated to superlative engineering. while the back half of the car looks a bit odd, i can see it as an interpretation of a classic body shape, with a semblance of aerodynamics. the interior is great, and im sure it goes like hell. get rid of the chrome, and simplify the front end a bit, and i think it could look like a proper luxury limo.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

The horseshoe grill, coupled with the Atalante roof ridge sort of 'retro' the car...

Must have used a year's supply of chrome;-P

As was mentioned, hope this is just a 'study' and not the final.

Hmmm...

I love two-tone, but the window line continuing onto the body panel and serving as the color division looks really awkward. Also, the exhaust seems overdone. Plus, the front end has way too many elements that I've seen on way too many cars already. For a car that costs as much as, and is a s exclusive as this one will be, I'd expect a lot more original design elements, not just something that looks like a much more expensive version of Veyron meets S6. And yes, please no fake signatures on the dash...

Now, the proportions are decent and I agree that it's a good starting point...let's see where it goes from here.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

people read the press release before making yourselves to look like dickheads by carrying on about the chrome, it is polished aluminium!!!

as for the car, i think the aluminium is a tad too ostentatious even for a car this size but the shape is sexy as, especially the powerful rear haunches, and that centre line is inspired, makes all recent cars passe in one fell swoop!!!
    Last edited by shockwaveracing; 09-14-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Well it's still too shiny. It's actually a rather conservative(not quite the right word, it's not a sporty look,it's more of a refined towncar look) shape, so the mirror metal doesn't serve to present that well. Neither does the array of mufflers. They fight against the shape making it look like they're trying to soup up something that shouldn't be.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Provided that polished aluminum and the interior are only features that will stay in the concept car, I like it.

However, in that range I'd rather have the RR Ghost.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Zeesh.... I guess I'm a minority of one but I really like the shape of the car -- MUCH better than the Veyron, which looks like the Slug from Mars. Hate the chr...er...polished aluminum, but add some paint and this would be a big thumbs up from me.

Thread Information