Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) FD 1991-2002

Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) FD 1991-2002

Third generation (FD)
    The third generation of the RX-7, FD (with FD3S for Japan and JM1FD for the USA VIN), featured an updated body design. The 13B-REW was the first-ever mass-produced sequential twin-turbocharger system to export from Japan, boosting power to 255 PS (188 kW; 252 hp) in 1993 and finally 280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp) by the time production ended in Japan in 2002.

The FD RX-7 was Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year. When Playboy first reviewed the FD RX-7 in 1993, they tested it in the same issue as the [then] new Dodge Viper. In that issue, Playboy declared the RX-7 to be the better of the two cars. It went on to win Playboy's Car of the Year for 1993. The FD RX-7 also made Car and Driver's Ten Best list for 1993 through 1995, for every year in which it was sold state-side. June 2007 Road & Track proclaimed "The ace in Mazda's sleeve is the RX-7, a car once touted as the purest, most exhilarating sports car in the world."

The sequential twin turbocharged system was a very complex piece of engineering, developed with the aid of Hitachi and previously used on the domestic Cosmo series (JC Cosmo=90–95). The system was composed of two turbochargers, one to provide boost at low RPM. The second unit was on standby until the upper half of the rpm range during full throttle acceleration. The first turbocharger provided 10 psi (0.7 bar) of boost from 1800 rpm, and the second turbocharger was activated at 4000 rpm and also provided 10 psi (0.7 bar). The changeover process occurred at 4500 rpm, 8 psi (0.6 bar), was smooth, and provided linear acceleration and a wide torque curve throughout the entire rev range.

Handling in the FD was regarded as world-class, and it is still regarded as being one of the finest handling and the best balanced cars of all time.[citation needed] The continued use of the front-midship engine and drivetrain layout, combined with a 50:50 front-rear weight distribution ratio and low center of gravity, made the FD a very competent car at the limits.

Australia had a special high-performance version of the RX-7 in 1995, dubbed the RX-7 SP. This model was developed as a homologated road-going version of the factory race cars used in the 12-hour endurance races held at Bathurst, New South Wales, beginning in 1991 for the 1995 event held at Eastern Creek, Sydney, New South Wales. An initial run of 25 was made, and later an extra 10 were built by Mazda due to demand. The RX-7 SP produced 204 kW (274 hp) and 357 N·m (263 lb·ft) of torque, compared to the 176 kW (236 hp) and 294 N·m (217 lb·ft) of the standard version. Other changes included a race-developed carbon fibre nose cone and rear spoiler, a carbon fibre 120 L fuel tank (as opposed to the 76 L tank in the standard car), a 4.3:1-ratio rear differential, 17-inch wheels, larger brake rotors and calipers. An improved intercooler, exhaust, and modified ECU were also included. Weight was reduced significantly with the aid of further carbon fibre usage including lightweight vented bonnet and Recaro seats to reduce weight to 1050 kg (from 1150 kg). It was a serious road-going race car that matched their rival Porsche 911 RS CS for the final year Mazda officially entered. The formula paid off when the RX-7 SP won the title, giving Mazda the winning 12hr trophy for a fourth straight year. The winning car also gained a podium finish at the international tarmac rally Targa Tasmania months later. A later special version, the Bathurst R, was released in 2001 to commemorate this, in Japan only.

In the United Kingdom, for 1992, customers were offered only one version of the FD, which was based on a combination of the US touring and the base model. For the following year, in a bid to speed up sales, Mazda reduced the price of the RX-7 to £25,000, down from £32,000, and refunded the difference to those who bought the car before that was announced. The FD continued to be imported to the UK until 1996. In 1998, for a car that had suffered from slow sales when it was officially sold, with a surge of interest and the benefit of a newly introduced SVA scheme, the FD would become so popular that there were more parallel and grey imported models brought into the country than Mazda UK had ever imported.
    Series 6 (1992–1995) was exported throughout the world and had the highest sales. In Japan, Mazda sold the RX-7 through its Efini brand as the Efini RX-7. Models in Japan included the Type R, the top-of-the-range Type RZ, the Type RB, the A-spec and the Touring X, which came with a four-speed automatic reducing power to 255 PS (188 kW; 252 hp). The others ran on the standard 265 PS (195 kW; 261 hp) engine with a five-speed manual gearbox. Only the 1993–1995 model years were sold in the U.S. and Canada. Series 6 came with 255 PS (188 kW; 252 hp) and 294 N·m (217 lb·ft). In the UK, only 124 examples of this model were sold through the official Mazda network. Only one spec. was available and it included twin oil-coolers, electric sunroof, cruise control and the rear storage bins in place of the back seats.
    In 1993, three North American models were offered; the "base", the touring, and the R models. The touring FD included a sunroof, fog lights, leather seats, a rear window wiper and a Bose Acoustic Wave system. The R (R1 in 1993 and R2 in 1994–95) models featured stiffer suspensions, an aerodynamics package, purple-hued microfiber seats, and Z-rated tires. In 1994, a PEG (performance equipment group) model was offered. This model featured leather seats and a sunroof. It did not include the fog lights or Bose stereo of the touring package. In 1995, the touring package was replaced by the PEP (popular equipment package). The PEP package contained leather seats, sunroof and fog lights, but didn't have the Bose Stereo nor the rear window wiper.

Series 7 (1996–1998) included minor changes to the car. Updates included a simplified vacuum routing manifold and a 16-bit ECU allowing for increased boost which netted an extra 10 PS (7 kW). In Japan, the Series 7 RX-7 was marketed under the Mazda and Efini brand name. The Series 7 was also sold in Australia, New Zealand and the UK. Series 7 RX-7s were produced only in right-hand-drive configuration.
    Series 8 (January 1999– August 2002) was the final series, and was only available in the Japanese market. More efficient turbochargers were installed, while improved intercooling and radiator cooling was made possible by a revised frontal area. The seats, steering wheel, and front and rear lights were all changed. The rear spoiler was modified and gained adjustability. The top-of-the-line "Type RS" came equipped with Bilstein suspension and 17-inch wheels as standard equipment, and reduced weight to 1,120 kg (2,469 lb). Power was increased with the addition of a 16 bit ecu and upgraded (high flow) turbos, 280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp) with 313.8 N·m (231 lb·ft) of torque as per the maximum Japanese limit. The Type RS had a brake upgrade by increasing rotor diameter front and rear to 314 mm (12.4 in) and front rotor thickness from 22 mm (0.9 in) to 32 mm (1.3 in). The Type RS version also sported a higher ratio differential, providing a significant reduction in its 0–100 km/hr time. The gearbox was also modified, 5th gear was made longer to reduce cruising rpm and improve fuel efficiency. The very limited edition Type RZ version included all the features of the Type RS, but at a lighter weight (at 1100 kg). It also featured custom gun-metal colored BBS wheels and a custom red racing themed interior. Further upgrades included a new 16-bit ECU and ABS system upgrades. The improved ABS system worked by braking differently on each wheel, allowing the car better turning during braking. The effective result made for safer driving for the average buyer. Easily the most collectible of all the RX-7s was the last 1,500 run-out specials. Dubbed the "Spirit R", they combined all the "extra" features Mazda had used on previous limited-run specials with new exclusive features. They still command amazing[clarification needed] prices on the Japanese used car scene years later. Sticker prices when new were 3,998,000 yen for Type-A and B and 3,398,000 yen for Type-C. Mazda's press release said "The Type-A Spirit R model is the ultimate RX-7, boasting the most outstanding driving performance in its history."
    There are three models of "Spirit R": the "Type A", "Type B", and "Type C". The "Type A" is a two-seater with a 5-speed manual transmission. It features lightweight red trim Recaro front seats as seen in the earlier RZ models. The "Type B" has a 2+2 seat configuration and also sports a five-speed manual transmission. The "Type C" is also a 2+2, but has a four-speed automatic transmission. Of the 1500 Spirit R's made, over 1000 were Type A's. An exclusive Spirit R paint color, Titanium Grey, adorned over 700 of the 1500 cars sold.

In Japan the FD3S is categorized into 6 versions (V1 from 1991/12, V2 from 1993/08, V3 from 1995/03, V4 from 1996/01, V5 from 1998/12 and V6 from 2000/10). Amongst the many limited editions produced over the years were the following: (type RZ in 1992/10 (300 cars), RZ 1993/10 (150), R-II Bathurst 1994/09 (350), R Bathurst X 1995/07 (777), RB Bathurst X 1997/01 (700), RS-R 1997/10 (500), RZ 2000/10 (300), R Bathurst R 2001/08 (500), Spirit R 2002/04 (1500)) and 2 special editions (Bathurst R 1995/02, R Bathurst 2001/12).

Source: Wikipedia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 12-16-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Mazda RX-7 #2
    Last edited by Duell; 12-16-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Mazda RX-7 Super GT #01
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Mazda RX-7 Super GT #02
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Mazda RX-7 Super GT #03

Mazda RX-7 Super GT #04

Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) FD 1991-2002

Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) FD 1991-2002 #1
    Last edited by Duell; 12-16-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Motorsport
    Racing versions of the first-generation RX-7 were entered at the prestigious 24 hours of Le Mans endurance race. The first outing for the car, equipped with a 13B engine, failed by less than one second to qualify in 1979. The next year, a 12A-equipped RX-7 not only qualified, it placed 21st overall. That same car did not finish in 1981, along with two more 13B cars. Those two cars were back for 1982, with one 14th place finish and another DNF. The RX-7 Le Mans effort was replaced by the 717C prototype for 1983. In 1991, Mazda made racing history becoming the first Japanese automobile manufacturer to win the 24 hours of Le Mans. The car was a 4-rotor prototype, the 787B. To this day, Mazda is still the only Japanese manufacturer to have ever won the prestigious 24 hour Le Mans race outright. Mazda is also the only manufacturer to win the 24 hours of Le Mans race using something other than a reciprocating piston engine.

Mazda began racing RX-7s in the IMSA GTU series in 1979. In its first year, RX-7s placed first and second at the 24 Hours of Daytona, and claimed the GTU series championship. The car continued winning, claiming the GTU championship seven years in a row. The RX-7 took the GTO championship ten years in a row from 1982. In addition to this, a GTX version was developed, named the Mazda RX-7 GTP; this was unsuccessful, and the GTP version of the car was also unsuccessful. The RX-7 has won more IMSA races than any other car model. In the USA SCCA competition RX-7s were raced with great success by Don Kearney in the NE Division and John Finger in the SE Division. Pettit Racing won the GT2 Road Racing Championship in 1998. The car was a 93 Mazda RX-7 street car with only bolt-on accessories. At season end Pettit had 140 points—63 points more than the 2nd place team. This same car finished the Daytona Rolex 24-hour race 4 times.

The RX-7 also fared well at the Spa 24 Hours race. Three Savanna/RX-7s were entered in 1981 by Tom Walkinshaw Racing. After hours of battling with several BMW 530i and Ford Capri, the RX-7 driven by Pierre Dieudonné and Tom Walkinshaw won the event. Mazda had turned the tables on BMW, who had beaten Mazda's Familia Rotary to the podium eleven years earlier at the same event. TWR's prepared RX-7s also won the British Touring Car Championship in 1980 and 1981, driven by Win Percy.

Canadian/Australian touring car driver Allan Moffat was instrumental in bringing Mazda into the Australian touring car scene which ran to Group C regulations unique to Australia. Over a four year span beginning in 1981, Moffat took the Mazda RX-7 to victory in the 1983 Australian Touring Car Championship, as well as a trio of Bathurst 1000 podiums, in 1981 (3rd with Derek Bell), 1983 (second with Yoshimi Katayama) and 1984 (third with former motorcycle champion Gregg Hansford). In 1983, Peter McLeod drove his RX-7 to win the 1983 Australian Endurance Championship, while Moffat would follow up by winning in 1984. Australia's adoption of international Group A regulations, combined with Mazda's reluctance to homologate a Group A RX-7, ended Mazda's active participation in the touring car series at the end of the 1984 season.

The RX-7 even made an appearance in the World Rally Championship. The car finished 11th on its debut at the RAC Rally in Wales in 1981. Group B received much of the focus for the first part of the 1980s, but Mazda did manage to place third at the 1985 Acropolis Rally, and when the Group B was folded, it's Group A-based replacement, the Familia 4WD claimed the victory at Swedish Rally in both 1987 and 1989.

In the racing game Gran Turismo 5, a modified Mazda RX-7 "TC" is featured as part of the downloadable Racing Car Pack in the PlayStation Store.

Revivals
    Mazda has made several references to a revival of the RX-7 in various forms over the years since the RX-7 was discontinued.

In November 2012, MX-5 program manager Nobuhiro Yamamoto indicated that Mazda was working on a 16X based RX-7, with 300 horsepower.

Source: Wikipedia

Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) FD 1991-2002 #3

Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) FD 1991-2002 #4

Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) FD 1991-2002 #5

Mazda RX-7 (3rd gen) FD 1991-2002 #6

Wait, this car has been missing from the hideout for this long?

How did that ever happen?

Thanks for filling in the blanks, as always Man of Steel!

Well actually it is a re-arrangement in generations from the 'old' history thread (plus a lot of new pictures).

Cheers!

1993 Mazda RX-7
    Sold For $50,400

RM | Sotheby's - AMELIA ISLAND 8 - 9 MARCH 2019 - Offered from the Youngtimer Collection
    Chassis No. JM1FD3316P0209466
    • Offered from the Youngtimer Collection
    • Only two private owners
    • Less than 13,600 miles from new

The third and final generation of the Mazda RX-7 was produced over a decade-long period from 1992–2002. Boasting more voluptuous and rounded bodywork over its predecessors, its major mechanical differentiation from the first two generations of RX-7 was that this would be the first mass-produced sequential twin-turbocharged vehicle from Japan. The turbos helped to bring horsepower to 252 bhp, which was possible due to varying the delivery of boost within the turbochargers, with one providing boost at low revs and the second to kick in under hard acceleration higher in the rev range.

According to its original service manual, this RX-7 was delivered new to Robert Schoon of Holland, Michigan, in March 1993. What makes this RX-7 so desirable is that it remained in Schoon’s ownership until it was purchased by its current owner and exported to Switzerland in 2017. Presented today in beautifully original condition, the car has travelled less than 600 miles over the course of the last seven years, according to accompanying service invoices. Prior to, the car accumulated under 4,500 miles from 1997–2012, as Mr. Schoon undoubtedly realized that his prized RX-7 was quickly earning collector car status.

Named Motor Trend magazine’s Import Car of the Year and one of Car and Driver’s Ten Best in 1993, the FD-generation RX-7 proved to be a wonderful swansong for the model and has proved to be popular with fans of Japanese sports cars worldwide. Finding a low-mileage example can be difficult, and finding one that has been enjoyed by just two owners from new is harder still. As such, this example warrants serious consideration and would be an astute acquisition in any collection of 1990s sports cars.

Thread Information