Thread: Frankfurt Motor Show round-up ...

Frankfurt Motor Show round-up ...

Today, the biennial Frankfurt Motor Show kicked off with the first of two press preview days. Traditionally this is the day when all new releases are presented to the gathered media and today was no exception. Among the most exciting cars on show was the BMW i8. Following the release of some teaser images, the high performance hybrid has now been officially presented and can be admired from every angled in this 37-shot gallery. Another star was this Mercedes-Benz Concept S-Class Coupe. As the name suggests, this is the two-door version of the S-Class and will form the basis for the replacement of the current CL class.
    Fellow Germans Porsche used the IAA to officially launch the 918 Spyder supercar. In addition to detailed specifications and more images, Porsche also noted that works driver Marc Lieb managed to complete a lap around the daunting Nurburgring Nordschleiffe circuit in just 6:57, making the 918 Spyder the first production road car to break the 7-minute barrier.
    Ferrari, meanwhile, presented the 458 Speciale in full detail. It boasts a more powerful version of the 458's V8 and also is the most aerodynamically efficient car Ferrari has ever built. The livery of the show car is a tribute to Luigi Chinetti's legendary North American Racing Team.
    The IAA also hosted the launch of the Spark-Renault STR_01E, which will be used in the upcoming Formula E championship for electric single seaters. It promises to be a very serious machines as it combines components from McLaren, Williams and Dallara, while Renault Sport is one of the technical partners.
    To get a complete picture of all the cars introduced in Frankfurt, please take a look at this list with all the major releases.
    Although not on display in Frankfurt, Honda did announce the first details of the upcoming Civic Type R. It will be powered by a 2-litre turbocharged engine, good for at least 280 bhp.

Enjoy the links:

2014 BMW i8 - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Brabus B63S - 700 6x6 - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Ferrari 458 Speciale - Images, Specifications and Information

2015 Honda Civic Type R - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Mercedes-Benz Concept S-Class Coup - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Opel Monza Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Porsche 918 Spyder - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Renault Initiale Paris Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2014 Spark-Renault SRT_01E - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Interesting to see the low-profile tyres on the Spark Formula E machine. It looks like a reference to what they want to introduce in Formula 1. Given that Pirelli are rumoured to leave with Michelin being one of the contenders for that spot it fuels some thoughts. But then again, such wheels would ruin the looks of Formula 1 to me.

Also, the high nose is a bit unexpected. I understand the design proposals had them, but still, with the FIA trying to minimize the consequences of a side impact it is rather interesting.

The height of the nose in F1 lines up with the strongest part of the side of the car, so I imagine it's the same thing here. The tyres are interesting, I know that Pirelli wanted to do low profile tyres in F1 but were shut down due to the cost of re-engineering the suspension for all the teams. I guess it might happen eventually, maybe it will need to be an announcement that gives the teams a year or two to work on it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information