Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volvo S80 (2nd gen) 2006-2015

All new Volvo S80 #3
    Attached Images Attached Images

All new Volvo S80 #4

I have to say I am a bit disapointed by the power output from the engine. A Honda 3.2 makes around 270hp, the BMW 3.0 up to 265. But the eninge is probably not going to be the downfall of the car. The current T6 engine is rather nice as well, it's the gearbox that is horrible. And if the new autoboxes on Volvos are anything to judge by, this one isn't going to be great either. I have driven pretty much all the current Volvos and none of them has an autobox as good as that on my 850T-5R. The handling also needs to improve significantly.

In any case, if the quality doesn't take a galactic leap for the better, no more Volvos for me. While the 850 continues to run semi reliably, the S8T-6 that we also have is a total disaster. If you do any mileage in it, something will break down every 2 weeks or so. On a recent trip to Germany first the driver sidewindow stopped working, then the navigation system, shortly afterwards the CD changer. Then the car wouldn't start. The battery was flat because of a fault in the engine fan software, keeping it running until the battery was flat. They replaced the fan on warranty the next day but the battery replacement cost 250 euros. They knew that the whole fan series was faulty but were not allowed to change them until the cars actually break down. Such customer service. To make it worse, the driver side window simply twisted into the door on starting the car the next day (hard to describe, it twisted some 90 degrees, the car gaining a sharklike fin). They kind of managed to fix it temporarily. On the next day, at 130 or so mph in a curve (the highways are derestricted) the whole front undertray simply fell off and flew away. Luckily I didn't get it under a rear wheel or that would have been the end of it. The part managed to miss the car following (at a similar speed) by inches. To top it off the window was constantly sliding down and could no longer be closed. The home service was friendly and competent, as always. The problem was that the material in the undertray mounts simply gave way under stress. To weak. Great.

Sorry for this rant but the cars have been nothing but trouble. Not only our two, all the friends that have some report similar problems. The reliability might not be worse than that of the Audi I drove before but it's still abysmal, totally unacceptable for such a manufacturer as Volvo.

New Volvo S80 picture #5

Volvo S80 #6

In a way this makes the old S80 look much older, mostly because of the higher and shorter rear end and more aggressive looks throughout the exterior.

Volvo S80 #7

I'am still not convinced by this new shape, do like the rear end but the nose ??

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    Volvo is doing some amazing job......is there gonna be a new S60 too? Looking forward to any R version.
    What do you mean by new ?
    We have the S60R here in teh UK based on the new platform.
    Just not sure if you know of that one.

Impressive piece of kit. Friends co-worker has a new one. All the bells and whislte and goes like STINK. He bought it from John Cleland's garage and the man himself took him out on a test drive He said it took the rest of the day for his heartbeat to recover
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Awesome pics. Awesome car. Awesome chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    In the 1st pic on the boot it says V8 AWD, so I'm assuming that Volvo's 4.4-litre V8 first unveiled in the XC90 will also be available on the S80.
    That is correct.
    Last edited by henk4; 03-04-2006 at 01:34 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Volvo S80 Facelift #9
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Volvo S80 Facelift #10
    Visca Catalunya!

Volvo S80 Facelift #11
    Visca Catalunya!

Volvo S80 Facelift #12
    Visca Catalunya!

The new Volvo S80, V70 and XC70:
    Exclusive sophistication on a new level

• Focus on elegant, sophisticated design and attention to detail
    • Fuel consumption down to class-leading 4.1 l/100 km in the Volvo S80
    • New, intuitive Sensus Connected Touch system
    • Enhanced IntelliSafe systems
    • Active High Beam Control for more relaxed driving at night

"The new features in the new Volvo S80, V70 and XC70 are based on our human-centric approach, which has been a Volvo hallmark for more than 85 years. They take the elegant sophistication of our largest models to a new level," says Lex Kerssemakers, Senior Vice President, Product Strategy & Vehicle Line Management at Volvo Car Group. He continues: "We pave the way for our future model line-up by bringing the three models visually closer to each other. The renewal is one of the most extensive in our history, with the main focus on improved quality and attention to detail."

........Bla bla bla... etc.

Facelift number III for this S80
    But on the underhand the 740 became the 940 which became the S90/V90

Thread Information