Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Territory Turbo Review (Carpoint)

Territory Turbo Review (Carpoint)

Ford Territory Turbo Launched
    www.carpoint.com.au
    What we liked
    > Luscious midrange muscle
    > Well sorted AWD chassis
    > Value for money (in performance terms)

Not so much
    > Fuel economy
    > A touch noisy
    > No reversing camera on Turbo

OVERVIEW
    A high-riding all-wheel drive wagon that corners with aplomb on dirt or tar, sprints to 100km/h in around 7sec, does the standing quarter in not much more than twice that and accelerates from 80-120km/h in 4.6sec?

Too good to be true?

Do-able but only if it’s wearing a European badge and a six-figure pricetag?

You’d be forgiven for thinking either. You’d also be wrong -- in both cases! Meet the latest addition to Ford Australia’s SUV line-up, the long-awaited, much ‘scooped’ Territory Turbo.

Ford’s latest worst kept secret and arguably the vehicle about which Ford Australia boss, Tom Gorman, has answered more questions more often, the Territory Turbo was always going to happen.

Indeed, right from the moment Territory launched back in 2004, a Turbo version was inevitable. For a start, the Territory could easily cope with more power, the muscular force-fed version of Ford Australia’s 4.0-litre six would fit (and the US-sourced V8 wouldn’t) and then there was the opportunity to boost Territory sales with an optioned-up (read: more profitable) performance variant. Yep, take it from us the Turbo was go before the regular Territory was launched.

To claim, however, that Ford has simply bolted an XR6 Turbo mill into a tarted up AWD territory is to sell the Turbo short – way short! Powerful and poised, the Territory Turbo is not only a range-topper for Ford’s SUV clan, it is quite simply a benchmark vehicle.

FEATURES
    The Turbo is more than a hotrodded SUV. It’s a response to Ford’s research that showed a critical mass of customers who desired more performance than the standard Territory could deliver mixed with a fair splash of luxury.

It’s no surprise therefore that the Turbo model line-up is based solely on the AWD Territory with no rear-wheel-drive base model offered.

Two variants have been launched; the $53,990 Turbo and $65,490 Ghia and visual differences are minor.

Externally, there’s a new diamond mesh grille, five-spoke 18-inch alloys (painted for the Turbo, machined for Ghia), dual chrome exhausts and that bonnet scoop. The Ghia version also gets some extra chrome here and there and a silver skid plate.

Inside, the Territory Turbos share a charcoal interior trim, unique front seats (combining Territory’s base, bolstered XR backrest and a larger headrest), the XR’s fat-rimmed leather sports steering wheel, and an instrument cluster with the ‘scratched’ look reminiscent of the Fairlane.

Only the Ghia has its centre console finished in piano black and seats in leather with silver stitching (the Turbo gets suede-effect cloth).

Other Ghia equipment advantages include six rather than four-way power adjustable driver’s seat, premium six-CD audio, colour TFT media screen that doubles as a reversing camera (not available at all with ‘base’ Turbo), dual-zone climate control, side curtain airbags and reverse parking sensors.

SAFETY
    The new turbo Territory range benefits from all the safety developments introduced since the original Territory was launched in June 2004.

Territory was the first Australian manufactured vehicle to incorporate Dynamic Stability Control and the option of side curtain airbags. Last year it saw the introduction of a reverse camera on SY Territory Ghia. These features are standard on Territory Ghia Turbo, with side curtain bags an option on the Turbo.

Territory also incorporates Ford's Intelligent Safety System. ISS features integrated front seat belt buckle pretensioners, energy management retractors, driver's seat belt usage sensor, driver's seat position sensor, dual stage inflating front airbags and crash severity sensor

As you’d expect, all seatbelts in Territory are three-point lap-sash (including the optional third row seats).

In terms of active safety the importance of Territory’s Dynamic Stability Control and upgraded brake package can’t be underestimated.

MECHANICAL
    Mechanically, the Territory Turbo is an amalgam of BF Falcon and SY Territory componentry (For a full rundown of the changes wrought on Ford’s BF and SY ranges click here). The XR6 Turbo’s Barra 245T slots into the engine bay and is mated with the recently introduced ZF six-speed automatic transmission. Outputs are exactly the same as the XR6T -- 245kW at 5250rpm and 480NM of torque from 2000-4800rpm.

The engineers’ task was a little more complex than simply slotting the XR6T mill into the SUV, however. The most obvious difference is that the Territory Turbo has a top-mounted intercooler instead of the XR6’s front-mount.

The change makes sense given the Territory Turbo’s all-road (rather than off-road) emphasis but with the intercooler straddling the six’s cam cover, the pipes that connect turbo, intercooler and intake system are much shorter. The result is reduced turbo lag – a plus Ford concedes is measurable but difficult to feel.

Other important mechanical tweaks are bigger wheels, bigger brakes (340mm discs up front), minor suspension revisions (upgraded front springs to compensate for the heavier engine) and a fresh calibration for the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) chassis stability system.

It’s in this calibration of the electronic aids where much of the Territory Turbo’s chassis development time has been invested.

Set-up more like Fairmont Ghia than XR in line with the customer preference the stability system is a work of art. It’s invisible in most circumstances but switchable, of course. The beauty is you rarely feel the need.

COMPETITORS
    Volvo XC90 and XC70, Honda MDX, Lexus RX350, Volkswagen Touareg, plus Audi’s Allroad and some more proletarian brands and models – we can list them all if you like. In size and intended purpose these $70-80K offerings are all aimed at the same urban SUV buyer as the Territory Turbo.

What the Territory Turbo does is deliver performance way beyond the above and more akin to the mega-SUVs like the Porsche Cayenne and BMW’s X5 4.8is for well less than half the heavy hitters’ asking price.

Jeep’s upcoming Grand Cherokee SRT8 will be an interesting comparison but the big HEMI V8-engined Yank will surely sacrifice allroad ability with its 20-inch low-profile rubber.

Perhaps ironically – or appropriately – the Turbo’s closest rival is the normally-aspirated Territory, although the Wheels COTY winner drops well behind in any performance criteria.

Except fuel consumption, that is... Where the standard AWD Territory claims 12.8lt/100km, the Turbo’s official figure is 14.2lt/100km. In the real world the official claim is achievable during gentle cruising, but use the Turbo’s performance and consumption will approach 20lt/100km.

Perhaps that Jeep comparison is not so far fetched.

ON THE ROAD
    The Territory Turbo has more grip and more kilos than the XR6 Turbo, so its performance is authoritative rather than energetically eager.

Both the turbo engine and the ZF six-speed automatic are refined but there are some ‘wagon-related’ noise issues (see below). The transmission is unfailingly smooth and very adept at picking the right ratio when left in ‘D’.

What is also different from the hotshoe sedan experience is the way the Territory Turbo’s 38:62 per cent split all-wheel drive system harnesses the engine’s output. Wind up against the torque converter, flatten the throttle, and the Turbo simply goes -- no wheelspin or histrionics. And it’s the same on grippy tar or dirt, DSC on or off.

There’s a kick in performance at 3000rpm as turbo boost checks in but if you want to truly appreciate the essence of the Turbo, look for a steep hill and accelerate smoothly – not sharply – up it. It’s a task completed with seamless ease. In the same situation the atmo Territory requires more throttle and works harder, dropping more gears, revving harder and more intrusively.

The engine’s potential allows you to punch between corners a lot faster than the standard Territory. Thankfully the bigger brakes and better 235/55R18 Goodyear Fortera rubber are up to the task.

The Territory Turbo is tall and heavy and while you sense it in tight going on more open rolling tarmac the vehicle is superbly capable. Same on the loose stuff -- and great fun thanks to that luscious midrange and all-wheel-drive…

One of our few gripes is the level of engine noise. At BF/SY time, the Territory missed out on much of the new noise minimisation package. Add in the lack of a rear bulkhead to shield the exhaust, and it can get a little loud under hard acceleration. It is an obvious area for improvement.

That, and the fuel gauge’s rapid charge towards empty… Though the reality is, outstanding economy is beyond a performance package that is wonderfully impressive in so many other ways.

Anyhow, Ford has a Territory Turbodiesel for that… Don’t you, Ford?
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Pictures?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

search the forums i think matt did a thread on the standard model, there aren't too many visual differences i think
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The carpoint pics arent that good thats why i didnt post them...here are some decent photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adrenaline; 06-22-2006 at 06:44 AM.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

More pictures...
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

And more...
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

My brother loves the black Ghia from the front.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

That top mount looks awesome. Will be funny to see some fords with massive front mounts getting around and noisey BOV's. Can't wait.

Just have to win lotto, would make a cool tow car for the skiboat, the scoop for the intercooler looks fantastic
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

looks like a GT Forester wannabe.
    The Datto will rage again...

yeah, i agree with blue, pic 1 of the "more pictures"
    the red one, i thought wtf is a forester GT doing in with these pics, then i looked closer and saw the blue badge...
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I am very impressed with the standard Ford Territory and I think this new Ford Territory Turbo Ghia (is that the official name? ) will be quite successful. The Territory would be my second or third favourite SUV or Four Wheel Drive/FWD behind the Porsche Cayenne and Mitsubishi Pajero.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    That top mount looks awesome. Will be funny to see some fords with massive front mounts getting around and noisey BOV's. Can't wait.
    its already started
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I am the Stig

I still don't get the economics behind doing a petrol turbo instead of a diesel.....do they want it to steal Cayenne sales or something?????
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Thread Information