Thread: Rolling Road/ Dyno

Rolling Road/ Dyno

How does a rolling road work, do you just drive normally on it or is there a special way... thanks
    UCP's Most Hardcore 2 Door Performance Car Freak

UCP's Most Hardcore Fitness Freak

Im Going To Be A Millionare At 17

Argue Me If You Want ^^

Well as the purpose is to produce the power and torque curves you tend to floor it.
    Course not right away
    So it's about pushing the power through the wheels and measuring it.
    If you tickle the throttle you'll measure lower power. So everyone goes on a dyno to thrash the balls out of the engine

That's the "bragging rights" use of the dyno.
    A tuner will use a dyno to map the ECU or change the jets and needles for us old guys.
    It can also be used to test different headers, filters etc.
    When tuning you'll use different revs, different loads and it's much more involved.

If you're asking how does the equipmetn work, it's a couple of big drums with variable resistance and the car is positioned to drive those drums. You tie the car down, blast LOTS of cool air at the forn of it and run the car up htroguh th egears adn the wheels turn the drums, the force required to maintain the speed of the drum is measured and from that torque is measured an dpower clacualted.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

thankyou

Argue Me If You Want ^^

You also normally have to put tubes on the end of the exhausts to channel the fumes out of the room .. otherwhys you would suffocate, and we dont want that To do it with 4WD cars you have 2 sets of rollers (which is obvious really).

You can get dynos,Dyna Pac,where you bolt the hub directly to the dyno,meant to give a truer reading of horsepower at rear wheels as there is no tyre slip.Nephew dynoed his club car last month on one worked a treat
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    You can get dynos,Dyna Pac,where you bolt the hub directly to the dyno,meant to give a truer reading of horsepower at rear wheels as there is no tyre slip.Nephew dynoed his club car last month on one worked a treat
    I thought they were banned because they do a fine job at twisting the axle if the dyno cant handle the power

I've never seen one on real life. Saw some pics of it. Take the wheels off and it bolts ON to hubs ? Not sure how it accounts for grip loss - which is a real loss
    Hmm, interesting - twisting the axle - If the cars and driver managed that then wouldn't that equally be possible to happen on high grip surface like the Shell anti-skid stuff ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I've never seen one on real life. Saw some pics of it. Take the wheels off and it bolts ON to hubs ? Not sure how it accounts for grip loss - which is a real loss
    Hmm, interesting - twisting the axle - If the cars and driver managed that then wouldn't that equally be possible to happen on high grip surface like the Shell anti-skid stuff ?
    Not familiar with the "anti-skid stuff" but Im just going by what a rolling road owner said. He said something about it gaining too many revelutions per minute easily so the gearing of the dyno makes it come to a sudden halt. He said it has a similar effect to sticking your car in reverse when going forwards .. he may have just been trying to make people scared of the direct ones so he wont have to upgrade his equipment

Never heard of twisting axles,he has used his in horsepower comps as well,had no problems with over 800 rwhp,though the front of the car sometimes lifts of the ground on the power runs
    http://www.dynapack.com/Has plenty of info at this site about the dyno
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charged; 12-24-2004 at 06:01 PM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Those are the ones, thanks charged.
    The original pics I saw it was being run outside, as if it was possible to take the rolling road to the cars. I did have a passing interest as to if it was viable business - take a rolling road along to every trackday and charge for it's use. Anyone know anybody who runs one ??

they do in newzealand..........nz performance car runs one just about every month in different parts of the country

Argue Me If You Want ^^

Sorry for dragging up an old (ish) post.

How many of you guys have stuck your car on a RR?

I have put mine on several times and find the information you get back very interesting. The first time i had it done i was running a MBC and was generating knock which i had no idea was there, mainly due to my stereo being up too loud. At least i found the knock out before it ate a hole in one of my pistons.

I`m putting it back on a RR on Sunday at http://www.emeraldm3d.com/em_r_road.html just to see if there is any difference from last time at http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/

The RR at Emerald is reported to be one of the most accurate machines in the country.

Thread Information