Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saturn Ion Redline

No, No. ok maybe a little
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Ha..such a nice car to drive.

i will admit, when i sat in it i liked the gearbox/shifter

Have you driven one?

I am a Saturn guy, an S-Series fan. I have a 94' SL2 (Cat-Back Exhaust System, Short Ram Intake, Taper-Bored Throttle Body, Strut Tower Brace, and then a header and a hi-flow cat will be on their way by the end of Feb.), and we own three other Saturns aside from mine. The Saturn ION Redline doesn't get some of the credit that it deserves, and is currently being overshawdowed by the Chevy Cobalt SS, which is essentially a re-bodied Ion Redline, although it can be argued the Redline is a supercharged Saab 9-3; they all share the same platform (Delta I beleive). But anyway, the Redline is an amazing car, I've been for a ride in one (I don't think they'll hand the keys over to a 17 year old), and have looked at many in person. Its a very quick, nimble, and comfortable car. I find that Saturn did an exellent job tuning the Ion. Its got agressive (but not overdone) styling, a simple upgrade to the interior with those awesome Recaro seats, and the suspension is phenominal! It does have its quirks, such as the centered gauges, which I'm not a fan of, nor does it stack up to alot of its competition, such as the SRT-4, WRX, and EVO.

But that doesn't mean its a bad car; I've seen it take a bashing on alot of other fourms for simply being a Saturn......

BTW, thanks for the pics Matt!
    Last edited by lilcraigford; 01-14-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR
    i will admit, when i sat in it i liked the gearbox/shifter
    Thats the first thing i look for when I sit in a car. A good gearbox? and a shifter. Wouldn't you only be able to find out if it had a good gearbox if you drove?
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

well i guess a full test of the gearbox would require a test drive, but i kind of played with it while the car was on and i liked its "feel"

Its a nice car. Acceleration is pretty good...for a Saturn.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR
    please, you obviously have never sat in one. the guages are right on top of the center console instead of behind the steering wheel. the regular Ion was built for grandma ann who lives arount the corner from you and can only look throug the steering wheel without sitting on some old phone books. Saturn didnt bother fixing this when they came out with the red line which is angled ath the completley opposit end of the market. if some punk who thinks buying american cars is patriotic wants this car they should look at the Neon SRT
    The dash layout is a pain, but you are wrong. Not only have i sat in one, but i have driven one. Havnt driven an SRT4 yet so i cant say which is better although on paper the Dodge seems better.

Quote Originally Posted by lilcraigford
    I am a Saturn guy, an S-Series fan. I have a 94' SL2 (Cat-Back Exhaust System, Short Ram Intake, Taper-Bored Throttle Body, Strut Tower Brace, and then a header and a hi-flow cat will be on their way by the end of Feb.), and we own three other Saturns aside from mine. The Saturn ION Redline doesn't get some of the credit that it deserves, and is currently being overshawdowed by the Chevy Cobalt SS, which is essentially a re-bodied Ion Redline, although it can be argued the Redline is a supercharged Saab 9-3; they all share the same platform (Delta I beleive). But anyway, the Redline is an amazing car, I've been for a ride in one (I don't think they'll hand the keys over to a 17 year old), and have looked at many in person. Its a very quick, nimble, and comfortable car. I find that Saturn did an exellent job tuning the Ion. Its got agressive (but not overdone) styling, a simple upgrade to the interior with those awesome Recaro seats, and the suspension is phenominal! It does have its quirks, such as the centered gauges, which I'm not a fan of, nor does it stack up to alot of its competition, such as the SRT-4, WRX, and EVO.

But that doesn't mean its a bad car; I've seen it take a bashing on alot of other fourms for simply being a Saturn......

BTW, thanks for the pics Matt!

Great mature response, from a different point of view

Well I own a Redline and the only problem I have is that the tach is a little off from what the motor is actuallty turning. It is only about 500-600 rpms but this causes a problem when you are stuck in traffic and stall the damn thing. The dealer said there will probably be a recall on it so i am not complaining. Personally I like having the gauges in the middle of the dash it helps you see more of the road so you can hit your marks in the turns better.

Quote Originally Posted by SatRedliner24
    Well I own a Redline and the only problem I have is that the tach is a little off from what the motor is actuallty turning. It is only about 500-600 rpms but this causes a problem when you are stuck in traffic and stall the damn thing. The dealer said there will probably be a recall on it so i am not complaining. Personally I like having the gauges in the middle of the dash it helps you see more of the road so you can hit your marks in the turns better.
    You have to know what the revs are to keep from stalling the car?

How long have you been driving a manual?

Saturn ION Redline at Bonneville

Think about performance street cars and motorsport for a second. Whats the first automaker name that comes to mind? Saturn of course... not.

In an attempt to massage peoples perceptions of the plebian brand General Motors took to Wendover, Utahs Bonneville Salt Flats on Friday, October 17, 2003, with a highly modified ION Red Line quad coupe, racing it into the record books in the process.

Managing 212.684 mph, the Saturn, piloted by General Motors veteran and pro driver Jim Minneker, reached a record top speed for the G/Blown Fuel Altered class. No small feat, the pumped up ION tromped on the old record set by a modified 2001 Honda Civic by a convincing 29.196 mph.

The record-setting one-off Saturn is based on the new production ION Red Line quad coupe, a sport compact powered by a 200-hp supercharged 2.0-liter Ecotec 4-cylinder engine. While obviously not as robust as the Salt Flats special, the production ION Redline boasts a beefed-up close ratio 5-speed gearbox with a short throw shifter, putting power down to the front wheels to a set of 17-inch alloy rims and 45-series performance tires.

The suspension is reportedly track-tuned, and sports revised springs, shocks and bushings for more immediate turn-in and improved overall feel. A free-flow exhaust system reduces backpressure while improving the engines go-fast sound.

Inside special sport seats are thrown into the mix, while updated front and rear exterior fascias separate the standard car from this standout performer.

The suspension is reportedly track-tuned, and sports revised springs, shocks and bushings for more immediate turn-in and improved overall feel. A free-flow exhaust system reduces backpressure while improving the engines go-fast sound.

Inside special sport seats are thrown into the mix, while updated front and rear exterior fascias separate the standard car from this standout performer.

Source
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information