Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: right hand drive

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    I used to think that my left hand was totally useless too! Now I know it's good for one thing and one thing only: SHIFTING!

being left handed, I have to agree that shifting is one of the few things I do righthanded (as well as operating the mouse )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    i cant picture myself shifting with my left hand no matter what the pattern. my left hand is useless
    Scary picture of you driving along as normal. changing gear and controlling the DIRECTION of the car with that "useless left had" - GULP !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Scary picture of you driving along as normal. changing gear and controlling the DIRECTION of the car with that "useless left had" - GULP !!
    i steer with my right hand
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

what's really awesome are RHD sports cars in which you still shift with your right hand, think GT40, or Lotus 23.

lotus 23
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

that's the real deal! it looks like an original car, I thought there weren't any of those left.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    that's the real deal! it looks like an original car, I thought there weren't any of those left.
    this one was shown at interclassics this weekend, it is fitted with an 1800 BMW engine. It has not been used for a long time but is going to be restored and may participate in demo runs, not active historic racing

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    i steer with my right hand
    so presumably you onldy drive auto boxes then.

Otherwise HOW do you change gear in a sequence of twisties while accelerating ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    what's really awesome are RHD sports cars in which you still shift with your right hand, think GT40, or Lotus 23.
    and Formula Fords, F2s, and pretty much every other single seater I've sat in
    You just do it !!

And Lola's and Ginetta racers,... Is the gear knob in those cars on the right hand side actually cos most people are right-handed? or is there another reason involved? Henk4, if they do restore the 23 I hope they keep the steering wheel and the gauges with the chrome bezels, so sixties !

Just my opinion, i think countries that have RHD should change it to "normal" LHD, the gear stick stays on the right, easyer for almost everyone, it would be a matter of two or three generations to accept the change.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

It's perfectly easy as it is for us NOW ruim, why should we change ??

It's currently only racers that have gearstick on the right of the cockpit !!

Why not have everyone else change to RHD and make it easier.

The problem isn't the generation to make a change - it doesn't actually take that long. The BIG problems is the roads are now built to be safe and that means on-ramps, off-ramps, curves are all cambered and set for driving on the left in the UK etc.

And as more roads are built and more are updated to be 'safer' then the cost to switch sides becomes even more. Never mind all those road signs to move from one side to t'other

Lets just leave it, it's 'easiest' for everyone then. Thos on the left are happy, those on the right are happy and having to switch makes visitors a little more careful

i said that specially because i'd like to have certain Uk, japonese and australian cars in portugal, obviusly with the stearing wheel in the "proper" place, Tvr cerbera.. nissans skyline, holden monaro...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

tough Why not move to the UK ? Then you can enjoy ALL of them
    Or Australia, New Zealand .....
    PS: We've done the "proper" place to death. it started OUT on the RIGHT !! America was producing right hand only cars into the 30s for use on their roads !!! Lancia made right hand drive ONLY till the 60s and then started making left-hookers.

^ No way! i love working the gear leaver with my right hand!

Thread Information