Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda to 'Americanize' US products.

Mazda to 'Americanize' US products.

And in doing so, they'll lose what makes Mazdas fun to drive. Goodbye zoom-zoom, hello snooze-snooze. Welcome to the world of the Mazda appliance.

MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
    Posted Date: 1/31/05
    LOS ANGELES -- Despite 35 years of selling cars in the United States, Mazda Motor Corp. still has problems giving Americans what they want.

Mazda has designed its vehicles mostly with the similar Japan and Europe in mind. For example, Americans prefer bump absorption to a firmer, responsive ride.

To battle this problem, Mazda North American Operations restructured its development process to get vehicles in line with U.S. sensibilities.

The parent company appointed global r&d Vice President Shiro Yoshioka -- who oversaw the Miata, RX-8 and Mazda6 programs -- to research ways to make Mazdas more palatable to Americans. Robert Davis, senior vice president of marketing and product development at Mazda North American Operations, was relieved of U.S. marketing oversight to concentrate solely on product and quality.

Starting early

John Parker, executive vice president of Mazda Motor, says the U.S. product development group has been too far upstream to make major r&d contributions.

"We haven't had a deep understanding of North American consumers. Now we're looking at feature content, driving dynamics, how to set up the transmission for North American driving circumstances," Parker says.

Being out of touch with the United States seems like a rookie mistake for a company that splits its 800,000 global sales evenly among Japan, Europe and North America.

To be fair, Mazda developed much of its current product line when the company was under financial duress. That meant Mazda funneled r&d spending into making the Mazda3 and Mazda6 global cars, without looking at regional differences.

Mazda is only now embracing the idea that there are major differences in vehicle dynamics among markets, says Joe Bakaj, Mazda Motor senior managing executive officer for r&d.

Americans want less shift shock from automatic transmissions, even if it sacrifices power. They want less lane drift, even if that makes for a loose on-center feel from the steering wheel.

"The American driver doesn't want to float down the road, but he does want isolation from hard shocks from impact strips or rough tarmac," Bakaj says.

U.S. preferences

Some of the other dislikes include:

>>> Seat backs and cushions are too small for many Americans.
    >>> Cupholders are too small for Big Gulps and Starbucks grandes.
    >>> Climate control systems can't handle cold winters and hot summers.
    >>> Mazda has been late to the party with telematics connections for iPod, Bluetooth, satellite radio and navigation systems.

Then there are problems with basic vehicle layout. The gearshift on the Tribute's steering column interferes with access to radio controls. While Japanese drivers like the MPV's windshield wiper controls on a single stalk, Americans like their rear-window wiper controls to be separate.

Bakaj said these changes would require technical measurements well beyond the scope of "seat-of-the-pants engineering."

Mazda's U.S. engineers will get assistance from parent Ford Motor Co. test centers in Michigan and Arizona.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

That's basically saying, Americans are too damn fat and they need to lose weight quickly. LMAO!!!
    I don't know why Mazda is doing this. It's going to end up like another cheap brand like Ford or Chevrolet wit their ugly designs. Mazda is unique and should always be.
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

Oh well its not like they make anything worthwile anyway, the Mazda Speed Miata is the only exception. And the RX7 was great, but its gone. And if its not a performance car, or performace oriented why bother giving it "sporty" stiff suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf03

That's basically saying, Americans are too damn fat and they need to lose weight quickly. LMAO!!!
    I don't know why Mazda is doing this. It's going to end up like another cheap brand like Ford or Chevrolet wit their ugly designs. Mazda is unique and should always be.
    Or the fact that many of us are pretty tall, and we dont prefer to be cramped while driving. I personally just barley fit in a Miata (im 6ft, 160lbs) and wouldnt mind a little more room. The RX8 was a pretty good fit though.

Heh, how is Mazda "unique"? The only thing unique that I can think of is the RX8, which is ugly, but unique.

That sucks... vehicular pussification.

>>> Cupholders are too small for Big Gulps and Starbucks grandes.

And you know how much us Americans drink those.

Mates son is 6'4" and drives his g/f MX-5 no problem.
    I sometimes think SLICKS you make yourself taller whwn you try these cars

ANYWAY, so here is the Mazda future. With half their R&D going to meet "customer focus group" needs in the US they will destroy their basic engineering and STILL not sell any more cars in the US. BUT having taken half of their R&D effort AWAY from GOOD ENGINEERING DESIGN they will then lose their sales in the rest of the world.
    Mazda will go into a loss in 3 yeas time and within 5 will close plants - either that or they will regain there common sense and go back to designing good cars that MOST of the world wants and tell the US market to learn to drive

I find it hilarious that FOrd are going to help them.
    Right, so this is the Ford USA who take Europes cast-off designs and markets them as new ????
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Recently drove my nieces new Mazda 3, I'm 6'2" 215lbs. and fit in the seat just fine. America is too overweight though.

The ride of the 3 was a little less stiff than my Contour(Mondeo) SVT with stock suspension.
    Last edited by Dino Scuderia; 02-01-2005 at 06:50 PM.

Well, the biggest gripe I had about the Miata that I sat in at the Virginia International Auto Show was the room between my legs and the steering wheel, none. Same with the S2000. When I'm driving down the road comfortably, I put my hands at 5 and 7 (or just 7 when I'm really laid back). I wouldn't have been able to do that in the Miata or S2000, I can barely do it in my 200SX. The only other problem i had was head room, I have less than an inch in my 200SX. The surprise, however, was the Chrysler Crossfire, my head was hitting the roof! I don't know about the Miata or S2000, though, as their tops were down and couldn't be raised.
    "You know what these trees and old people have in common? They're both going in the ground soon!" - Bam Margera

"The day the New York Times defines what Country Music is will be the day I shave my legs with a butter knife." - John Rich, of the country band Big and Rich

I'll be 15 on Feb. 18th, so buy me a drink! (Hint: Don't look at it as the decimal number. <smirks>)

>>> Climate control systems can't handle cold winters and hot summers.

they have a point there. nothing is more frustrating in the depths of canadian winters than to have a car who's window wont defrost properlly or heating doesnt work.

and i dont know how come some ppl are still arguing wether americans are overweight or not... THEY ARE!!!
    it has been proven over and over and over....
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Mazda has done a super job of making enthusiast type cars this latest round where most car dealerships only inspire a yawn. Instead of capitalizing on the differences, Mazda still attempts to be far too mainstream. This might kill 'em for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Mates son is 6'4" and drives his g/f MX-5 no problem.
    I sometimes think SLICKS you make yourself taller whwn you try these cars
    Keep in mind the difference between long legs and long torso. The legs were the major problem, my knees were a little to close to the dash for my comfort. My friends about 2" taller than me, but his legs are super long, for that reason he couldnt fit in a Z06 (his knees hit the dash, although he hd enough room every where else) where as I was comfortable.
    ANYWAY, so here is the Mazda future. With half their R&D going to meet "customer focus group" needs in the US they will destroy their basic engineering and STILL not sell any more cars in the US. BUT having taken half of their R&D effort AWAY from GOOD ENGINEERING DESIGN they will then lose their sales in the rest of the world.
    Mazda will go into a loss in 3 yeas time and within 5 will close plants - either that or they will regain there common sense and go back to designing good cars that MOST of the world wants and tell the US market to learn to drive
    It seems that this is only going on US cars, so how will it effect the sales in other countries? And it would surprise me if the Miata and the RX8 are changed from their current "setup."
    R&D ability? The majority of our roads are strait, would you rather have soft, absorbant suspension, or stiff, unforgiving suspension? It seems that we know how to drive, you guys need to get better roads
    I find it hilarious that FOrd are going to help them.
    Right, so this is the Ford USA who take Europes cast-off designs and markets them as new ????
    Whats so funny? Ford owns Mazda, if they can sell a "cast-off" design then more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    and i dont know how come some ppl are still arguing wether americans are overweight or not... THEY ARE!!!
    it has been proven over and over and over....
    Yes but overweight doesnt = fat. Someone can be 10lbs over weight, and look like a model, but thats still overweight.

So then is it true that Canadians all smell like fish and all like hockey? Dont be such a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Oh well its not like they make anything worthwile anyway, the Mazda Speed Miata is the only exception. And the RX7 was great, but its gone. And if its not a performance car, or performace oriented why bother giving it "sporty" stiff suspension?
    Ignorance...

The Mazda 6 is one of the best selling cars in its class here, might actually be THE biggest seller, and it has won many awards for its great handling etc.

Mazda 3 is also selling well, and has great handling and neat looking styling.

The MX-5 and RX8 speak for themselves.

This is where a 'sports suspension' option needs to exist. And how can you know how to drive with straight roads? The tight twisty stuff is where driving fun occurs, and that's a lot less fun with squidgy suspension. But yea, what they need is a sports suspension option box, that way everyone can be happy.

Thread Information