View Poll Results: Which one would you take?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • M5

26 78.79%
  • STS-V

7 21.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STS-V vs. M5

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    this is the easiest choice ever, i'de take the M5 without hesitation
    That was exactly my thought!
    The M5 has an awesome performance and an even more marvelous new engine.
    The STS-V can't mess with the M5. No chance at all...
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Elswick, England (Home of the world famous Bonds' Ice Cream!)
    Definatly the M5
    UCP's No.1 Koenigsegg & Aston Martin fan!
    UCP's Biggest Feeder fan!

The M5, but I really disagree with all that technology and all. I am also not the biggest fan of the noise that the V10 produces. And, of course, there is that design.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    I am also not the biggest fan of the noise that the V10 produces. And, of course, there is that design.
    I agree on the design. IT SUCKS!

But the noise? HELL NO!
    Have you been standing next to a E60 M5 when it did a hell of a launch?
    I have and it was just one sweet symphony...

STS-V (and a used Caterham with the extra money). Use the Caddy as a daily driver, enjoying power and luxury, and the Caterham for backroad blasting and track days.
    UCP's second biggest classic-car fan. Representing the 1% of kids who love REAL cars : the classics

UCP mac user #3

TN55- latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving liberal extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by andy.muc
    I agree on the design. IT SUCKS!

But the noise? HELL NO!
    Have you been standing next to a E60 M5 when it did a hell of a launch?
    I have and it was just one sweet symphony...
    I don't think the V10 note suites a car like the M5. It sure suits the Carrera GT though.

M5 to me! its definite!!!

I might be generalizing, but I think the americans like the caddy, while the europeans love the M5. Just an observation.

hmm...

This is my first post here, although I do enjoy reading the forums often, really cool stuff here.

In my opinion, I think you guys think that the M5 will out-handle the Caddy... There aren't any numbers from either company claiming times around the Nordschleife, so maybe Cadillac will surprise us. Many of you may not remember that the CTS-V ran a better time in the Nordschleife than either M car (The older M-5 and the current M-3), "Those figures should make the V-series quicker than a BMW M3 or M5. More important, John Heinricy, the director of GM's high-performance-vehicle operations and a successful racer for more than 20 years, says he's lapped the Nordschleife in 8 minutes and 19 seconds in the V-series—a better time than either M-car can turn."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

So what I have to say is wait and see...

Maybe the cadillac will outperform the M5, not to mention, low-rev torque is so enjoyable to drive... its nice not to have to shift down to get some power... I think Cadillac will come through, and Im so glad to see some American competition in the market.

I would have to drive both to decide which I would like, do you buy shoes without trying them on?

Just my two cents.

T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayzamd
    This is my first post here, although I do enjoy reading the forums often, really cool stuff here.

In my opinion, I think you guys think that the M5 will out-handle the Caddy... There aren't any numbers from either company claiming times around the Nordschleife, so maybe Cadillac will surprise us. Many of you may not remember that the CTS-V ran a better time in the Nordschleife than either M car (The older M-5 and the current M-3), "Those figures should make the V-series quicker than a BMW M3 or M5. More important, John Heinricy, the director of GM's high-performance-vehicle operations and a successful racer for more than 20 years, says he's lapped the Nordschleife in 8 minutes and 19 seconds in the V-series—a better time than either M-car can turn."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

So what I have to say is wait and see...

Maybe the cadillac will outperform the M5, not to mention, low-rev torque is so enjoyable to drive... its nice not to have to shift down to get some power... I think Cadillac will come through, and Im so glad to see some American competition in the market.

I would have to drive both to decide which I would like, do you buy shoes without trying them on?

Just my two cents.

T.J.
    Actually the both the M5 and STS-V have lapped the N-ring, times:
    8:31.--- 145.130 kph -- 2006 CADILLAC STS-V, 440hp, 1948 kg,
    8:13 --- 150.426 kph -- BMW M5 (E60), 507 hp, 1844 kg (sport auto 12/2004),
    Not too much of a surprise the more powerful M5 posts better laps...
    Id really have to drive both to choose between them though.

#'s

Well those numbers you have are extremely preliminary. As soon as GM got the engine and tranny in the car, without tuning the suspension, they were lapping it in 8:31... Give them some time to finish tuning everything up. I'll say again that those numbers are very very preliminary.

T.J.

Give them some time to finish tuning everything up.
    Some time? Maybe they will succeed matching with the E60 M5.
    By that time BMW will already have released the E120 M5.

Well those numbers you have are extremely preliminary. As soon as GM got the engine and tranny in the car, without tuning the suspension, they were lapping it in 8:31... Give them some time to finish tuning everything up. I'll say again that those numbers are very very preliminary.

T.J.
    Are you sure? How do you know?

The more revvy nature of the M5 will make it harder to live with, but as a race car it shouldnt be a problem. Changing gears is all part of driving a car afterall
    I am the Stig

article:

"Once the engine was ready and mounted in the car along with a standard six-speed automatic transmission, engineers took turns whipping on it, everywhere from GM’s test tracks in Michigan and Arizona to the aforementioned German high-speed test track where STS-V posted an eight-minute, 31-second time on the 12.94-mile Nordschleife loop. For comparison, world beaters like the Porsche 911 Turbo, BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG tack up numbers in the same or only slightly better range."

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101519

I think we need to just relax and give them some time... The car is still not ready for production...

TJ

Thread Information