Thread: Melbourne Street Parade

Melbourne Street Parade

[07/02/05 - 09:13]

F1 street parade for Melbourne
    London street success moved to Melbourne

A street parade is added to the festivities
    for the Australian Grand Prix.

A parade of Formula One cars through the streets of Melbourne is to mark the cities tenth world championship Grand Prix. The Melbourne 'F1 Street Parade' will hit the streets from 12.30pm to 1.30pm on Wednesday, 2 March – the eve of the Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park over the following four days. The parade is expected to include several Formula One cars as well as V8 Supercars travelling along a city route.

The ‘circuit’ has been plotted to highlight many of Melbourne’s famous landmarks, including Federation Square, Flinders Street Station, the Arts Centre, St Paul’s Cathedral and the Melbourne Town Hall. The course will take in the block of Swanston, Flinders, Russell and Collins Streets and travel up St Kilda Road to the Arts Centre.

Lord Mayor John So said the Melbourne F1 Street Parade will showcase Melbourne to an extremely large audience and increase Melbourne’s national and international profile. “A street parade like this provides a unique opportunity to showcase our great city to a massive global audience like never before,” Lord Mayor So said. “It will also attract thousands of people to the city. Over half a million people flocked to the centre of London last year to witness a similar display of F1 action. Melbourne’s street parade is expected to attract 200,000 people.”

The Lord Mayor said the parade would ensure that everyone can enjoy the thrill of the Grand Prix in Melbourne. “An exciting, free public event like this gives everyone in Melbourne the opportunity to enjoy the excitement of one of this city’s premier sporting events, even without a ticket to the Grand Prix,” he said.

Australian Grand Prix Corporation Chairman Ron Walker said the street parade was a creative and exciting way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

“We have a Formula One Grand Prix that is acknowledged as the world benchmark in presenting a major event,” Walker said. “It’s going to be a very special celebration next month when we hold our tenth Formula One Grand Prix at Albert Park. We will have the People’s Day, with free general admission to the track on the Thursday, but this street parade is about bringing the Grand Prix to the very heart of this great city, to celebrate our ten years.”

--------------------------------

Now if only i lived in Melbourne and wasnt doing my preliminary HSC year, i'd skip school and go watch
    I am the Stig

same :P lol, SKIP school!

lol.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Just to make you guys jealous. I won't be at the parade. But I WILL be there for the qualifying and the race on the Saturday and Sunday....
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Theyre even including some of the V8 Supercars in the parade.......that and the speed comparison would be 2 of the lead up events i'd love to see........

At least i'll be able to go to Sydney when Webber drives the FW27 across the Harbour Bridge a week before the race
    I am the Stig

Has Webber driving over the Harbour Bridge actually been confirmed?
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I saw something about the government allowing it to happen, provided he didnt go over 90km/h, but that was all.
    I am the Stig

I wish I could skip a mere day of year 12 to go and see the parade in the city! I somewhat doubt it though. I'll be going to qualifying and the race though, so that's alright!

I'm already there
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information