Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • MAC

22 27.50%
  • PC

58 72.50%
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: PC vs MAC

Because I just wanted to type "No." nothing else, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Since Apple stopped doing their own video and adopted first the AGP and then the PCI-X interfaces from the PC they've opened up being able to supprot nVidia etc and multiple video cards so more monitors is not the issue it once was. ( BUT the other side of that sword is that now they are less reliable and dependant on 3rd party providers of drivers and hardware to conform to the Apple interfaces - soft and hard - so one of it's strengths is weaker )
    Jeez Matra, i thought you were like 60! lol
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Sorry but you are full of shit.

The speed issue --> No way. Apple has had their speed problems with Motorole not being able to produce fasters CPUs but those days are over.
    Case modding --> this adds nothing to the computer, you can mod a mac case easily.
    Airport --> 1st. Airport Extreme IS Wireless-G, older Airport units are B-only because G didn't even exist when they came out. Somethings not working when your wireless network is going down, I've implemented a few airport based networks and they have ZERO downtime. And you can use any "pc" wireless router with your Mac. You don't need the Airport units you can buy a generic one. Airport is a bit expensive but you pay for the name, I'll give you that. About setting up multiple monitors on Macs: It was possible on a mac years and years ago when PCs didn't even recognise a second one and it's still posssible today, just plug it in and it works. Try adding a good colour profile to two different monitors in WinXP, have fun with it.
    Oh and would you really want a Pentium 4 based laptop ? Not me thankyou. Centrino is very good, I must admit that, but P4 in a laptop is a joke.

Sadly enough Mac bashing is easy and 9 out of 10 it's based on nothing. Most Mac bashers haven't even used a Mac in their lives.

WtF are you talking about?!!?? Everything Xar said was right, your the one whose full of shit. Have you ever even USED a computer?1?!?!?

EDIT: sorry for not backing it up, i well later. Im goin out to eat with my dad.
    Last edited by PsychoChimp22; 03-01-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Kingdom of Tonga South Pacific for the time being..
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Multiple monitors are quite easy to set up on macs, I hook laptops up to tv's and other monitors a lot in school for a program I am doing with IBM. I have a netgear router and it is constantly going dead too, portable phones and other wireless items work in the same band of frequency, so they cause interference. I don't think it is the router it's self, there is a airport network at my school in the graphics room, and since no interference, it's qiute reliable.
    in my case interferance has nothing to do with it as im connected directly to the router via lan cable. The Airport comes with onboard firewalls that limit access to specific ports which make it even worse. as for the multiple monitors im not talking about dual monitors, im talking about 3 and up. On a PC you can just install an AGP and a PCI card and your set where as on a Mac that would be alot more expensive

I've implemented a few airport based networks and they have ZERO downtime.
    Iknow that Macs dont require Mac Brand ROuters but my stepmothers Mac Technician jumped on it and bought the Airport. And the Technician said that whenever a down time occurs to reboot the router and cable modem so i dont know what you are talking about
    Last edited by Rebirth of Xar; 03-01-2005 at 02:59 PM.
    The Rebirth of Xarzy
    >>XxLEASxX<<
    To My Unborn Child
    UCP's Resident Jack Armstrong

Xar has a point there. Due to the vast amounts of PC users (not saying that only a few use MAC's, just that the PC user's greatly outnumber them), there is more variety in the companies you can buy from, the models of the thing, and they are almsot always cheaper. It is the same reason why there are so few games meant specifically for MAC, while finding a computer game NOT for PC is practically impossible.

And, once again, most security issues are because of the user, downloading things that contain worms or viruses or spyware. If you go a little bit out of your way to make sure you do not click any pop ups, or download anything that might contain harmful programming in it, basic firewalls will be completly useless and anything that DOES get through can be easily fixed by things like Ad-Aware, or not-so-free things like Norton Anti-virus. A standard firewall that comes with a computer is quite usually over-rated (do not get me started about those free cheap craps that AOL and other ISP's give out with the connection)
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChimp22
    WtF are you talking about?!!?? Everything Xar said was right, your the one whose full of shit. Have you ever even USED a computer?1?!?!?

EDIT: sorry for not backing it up, i well later. Im goin out to eat with my dad.
    You'll be unable to back that up. I'm really sorry. I'm not bashing anything just rectifying misconceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth of Xar
    in my case interferance has nothing to do with it as im connected directly to the router via lan cable. The Airport comes with onboard firewalls that limit access to specific ports which make it even worse. as for the multiple monitors im not talking about dual monitors, im talking about 3 and up. On a PC you can just install an AGP and a PCI card and your set where as on a Mac that would be alot more expensive
    First, in my world a built in firewall is a plus and if you don't like it you can turn it off...

Second, I have no idea whatsoever where you get the idea that adding 3 or more monitors to a Mac is different from a PC, you can add a PCI card or whatever to your PowerMac and that's it. As many monitors as you want...

Iknow that Macs dont require Mac Brand ROuters but my stepmothers Mac Technician jumped on it and bought the Airport. And the Technician said that whenever a down time occurs to reboot the router and cable modem so i dont know what you are talking about
    I have no idea what you want to say here. Non Apple wireless routers can lock up too and that requires a reboot (my Linksys freaks out from time to time and needs a reboot). In my experience I have never had an Airport lock up on me tough.

You use Linksys? If your having a problem with it, it is most likely your computer, not the hardware/software of Linksys (or you are doing something it really does not like). Linksys is very high quality, and even though the antenna was broken msot of the time i used it, it worked perfectly (it was broken for over 2 years, and in use for almost 3, until i got a landline connection because of interferance from walls and related things). What exactly was your Linksys "annoyed" about?

Second, I have no idea whatsoever where you get the idea that adding 3 or more monitors to a Mac is different from a PC, you can add a PCI card or whatever to your PowerMac and that's it. As many monitors as you want...
    Apple were properietary on-baord video until the G4 of 1999 when they introduced the G4 in PCI or AGP slot version. This was 2 years AFTER AGP was introduced and video cards developed for it
    The BIG issue with multi-monitor support is Windows didnt' do it very well in the "cheap" home-use versions of Windows.
    NT had ben running happy with it for years
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

see, i need video editing software, thats about it. i dont game, i use Microsoft Word and iMovie. everything i need, i have on my mac.
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    see, i need video editing software, thats about it. i dont game, i use Microsoft Word and iMovie. everything i need, i have on my mac.
    Are wmv encoders avaialble for MAC ?
    Which versions ?

You have to admit the latest hi-def wmv codecs are the dogs bollocks
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Are wmv encoders avaialble for MAC ?
    Which versions ?

You have to admit the latest hi-def wmv codecs are the dogs bollocks
    wmv encoders?
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    wmv encoders?
    Windows Media Video.

It's surpassed QuicktTime for the first ever IMHO

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...utHDVideo.aspx

You'll be unable to back that up. I'm really sorry. I'm not bashing anything just rectifying misconceptions.
    I dont need to back it up really, i read both of your posts carefully, everything he said was true. Then, you said what HE said was "full of shit". SO i said... IT is you who is shit filled.

Most of your points were BS any. For example: Air Ports are not reliable at all in my experiances. I used to use them daily and they would often crash just because 2 or 3 laptops were accessing the internet. I supose if you were the only one using it it would be fine, but i have no personal experiances with that.

As for case modding... it can help a lot with airflow (cooling) and other than that has no real performance gain. However, i would rather have an Aluminium Lian Li case with an acrilic window, filed with some nice looking blue lights and colored fans than a solid white box.

Speed??? Ya, Macs really are fast... IF YOU WANNA SPEND $4000!!!
    Currently I think AMD is ahead of Intel in speed, and i think both make faster processors than Apple (or whoever make theres for them). If you put two Athlon FX-55s on a single mobo it would sure haul some ass.

On P4s?? i dono, never owned one, never want to. They are slower, overpriced, and worst of all.... used by Dell.

As for case modding... it can help a lot with airflow (cooling) and other than that has no real performance gain. However, i would rather have an Aluminium Lian Li case with an acrilic window, filed with some nice looking blue lights and colored fans than a solid white box.
    no........it has uses. Case modding can allow for more airflow. Imagine the processor as a car engine now. So, what can you do when the engine is colder? You can let it rev higher.

and worst of all.... used by Dell.
    Dell's are the best bang for the buck in the PC department. (not counting custom-built pc's.)
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information