Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explorer lawsuit costs FoMoCo $31m.

Explorer lawsuit costs FoMoCo $31m.

Short version, people died in a wreck when they flipped their Explorer and they were ejected because they weren't wearing seat belts. The underage driver had alcohol in her blood, and made an erratic turn at high speeds so she didn't miss her exit. Apparently this is Ford's fault.

A jury in Texas found Ford Motor Co. liable for $31 million in the deaths of two 19-year-old women in an Explorer rollover accident.

The women, Corina Garcia and Diana Alicia Alonzo, were ejected from a 2000 Explorer in which they were passengers when it turned over in May 2003 outside of San Antonio. Their families sued Ford, alleging the automaker should have used stronger glass in the vehicle.

"Ford's body-engineering office did a cost evaluation, and their own documents showed this would cost only $6 to $10 a car," Mikal Watts of the Watts Law Firm of Corpus Christi, Texas, the lawyer for the women's families, told Bloomberg News.

The verdict, awarded Tuesday by a Crystal City, Texas, jury, is the third against Ford in an Explorer rollover lawsuit. The company won the first 13 cases that went to trial before losing a $369 million jury verdict in San Diego in June. Ford is defending the Explorer SUV in more than two dozen trials this year in which the vehicle rolled over.

Ford plans to appeal the verdict.

"There was no credible evidence introduced at this trial to support a jury finding that a vehicle defect caused this accident or the death and injuries," Ford spokeswoman Kathleen Vokes said.

The reputation of the Explorer, the nation's best-selling SUV, was hurt by a U.S. investigation into at least 271 highway deaths involving tread separation by Bridgestone Corp.'s Firestone tires, mostly on Explorers. Ford settled hundreds of suits over rollovers related to tire failures.

None of the suits against Ford involving tread separation was decided by a trial verdict. Ford has been sued several hundred times over Explorer rollovers in cases that don't involve tire failures, including the one filed by the Garcia and Alonzo families.

Alonzo and Garcia were ejected and killed after driver Saul Guerrero Jr. lost control of the Explorer when he missed a sharp turn on a highway and went onto an unpaved road, Watts said.

"This is such a poor-handling vehicle that if you just turn the steering wheel one-half of a quarter turn, it causes the vehicle to spin out sideways" in an emergency, Watts said.

A third passenger, who also was ejected, suffered an ankle injury, Watts said. The jury awarded $15 million each to the Alonzo and Garcia families; $500,000 to the third passenger, Arturo Guerrero Jr.; and $500,000 in punitive damages against Ford.

The jury found Ford 90 percent liable for the accident and assigned 10 percent of the responsibility to the driver. Under Texas liability law, Ford must pay the entire amount because it was found more than 50 percent responsible and the driver has no assets, Watts said. Ford said it is responsible for the full amount.

Ford argued to the jury that the driver's speeding caused the one-vehicle accident and that the deaths were caused by the women's failure to wear seat belts. The four occupants of the vehicle -- all high school seniors -- were returning to San Antonio from several graduation parties. They were all unbelted and ejected during the accident, Ford said.

"This was another terrible reminder that people should not drink and drive and that seat belts can help protect occupants only when they are worn," Vokes said. Ford introduced evidence that the driver had a 0.02 percent blood alcohol level, one-fourth of the level that is illegal in Texas.

Watts claims alcohol wasn't a factor in the accident.

Attorneys for the Garcia and Alonzo families said that Ford should have used laminated instead of tempered glass in the vehicle's side windows to prevent ejections. Ford said laminated glass wouldn't have kept the women from being ejected and was hardly ever used in side windows when the vehicle was made.

"At that time, 99.9 percent of all vehicles made by all manufacturers, through the 2000 model year, had the kind of tempered glass used in this vehicle," Vokes said. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration doesn't require laminated glass in side windows, she said.

The Garcia and Alonzo families argued during the trial that meeting federal safety requirements doesn't mean the product is safe, Watts said.

"Every vehicle meets the standards or they can't be sold, but they're minimal standards," he said. "The federal government urged the industry to use alternative glass."
    And personal responsibility takes yet another nose dive in the United States.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Short version, people died in a wreck when they flipped their Explorer and they were ejected because they weren't wearing seat belts. The underage driver had alcohol in her blood, and made an erratic turn at high speeds so she didn't miss her exit. Apparently this is Ford's fault.
    Three words: ONLY IN AMERICA ...
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

this is what you get when you put poor handling people behind the wheel of a poor handling car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

btw, is there anyone else who thinks the american way to pay for damage is screwed up? Any lawyers or lawstudents have an opinion on the matter? Obviously you cannot put a price on human life, but lets take another case, in the US a couple of years ago an old woman sued McDonalds because their coffee was too hot, she had burned her mouth or something, she won and got several million dollars. WTF, who here isn't ready to take a zip of steaming coffee for that price? I sure as heck would.
    This leads to people abusing the law, as long as there is a rich company or person that u r suing, you'll get rich if you win. So now if an accident happens you can pretty much look around you for reasons why it did(other than your own recklessness ofcourse), take a pic, sue and win. Ther's alot of really wierd cases:
    a few examples(sorry i dont remember the sources right now):

a man decided to steal the wheels from a neigbours car, while he was doing it, the unsuspecting owner got into the car and tried to drive away and the car crushed the "wheel-stealer's" hand who sued his neighbour and got a few 100k... (thats justice)

another man had learned how to dislocate his own shoulder, and he decided to abuse the system, so he went to a local supermarket, broke a beverage bottle on the floor, appared to slip and dislocated his own shoulder. Then he sued for a few 100k and won. The problem is that he got greedy, he keept on doing the "trick" in different supermarkets, but the fifth or sixth one had a surveilance camera that caught it all on tape, and his fraud career was over.

In Finland, and I think most of EU, you cannot get more compensation than the loss you've suffered. If someone breaks your car, you get a new one or the value of your old. If you slip and fall in a supermarket, you'll get your medical bills paid. If you burn your mouth on a cup of coffee, you shut up about it, and learn the signs of a hot beverage, steam, warm cup etc. and you wont sue McDonalds for a few mil.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

I am sure Fleet500 (UCP's number one expert on the workings of the current USA society) will come forward with all the logical explanations that we simple, liberal Europeans continuosly fail to grasp.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    in the US a couple of years ago an old woman sued McDonalds because their coffee was too hot, she had burned her mouth or something, she won and got several million dollars. WTF, who here isn't ready to take a zip of steaming coffee for that price? I sure as heck would.
    Well she sued and only wanted her hospital bill to be paid because she had 1st degree burns... The judge thought it would be good to punish McDonalds for $26 Million Dollars though.

But yeah.. Those law suits are incredibly stupid.

Again... What a stupid outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    btw, is there anyone else who thinks the american way to pay for damage is screwed up? Any lawyers or lawstudents have an opinion on the matter? Obviously you cannot put a price on human life, but lets take another case, in the US a couple of years ago an old woman sued McDonalds because their coffee was too hot, she had burned her mouth or something, she won and got several million dollars. WTF, who here isn't ready to take a zip of steaming coffee for that price? I sure as heck would.
    This leads to people abusing the law, as long as there is a rich company or person that u r suing, you'll get rich if you win. So now if an accident happens you can pretty much look around you for reasons why it did(other than your own recklessness ofcourse), take a pic, sue and win. Ther's alot of really wierd cases:
    a few examples(sorry i dont remember the sources right now):

a man decided to steal the wheels from a neigbours car, while he was doing it, the unsuspecting owner got into the car and tried to drive away and the car crushed the "wheel-stealer's" hand who sued his neighbour and got a few 100k... (thats justice)

another man had learned how to dislocate his own shoulder, and he decided to abuse the system, so he went to a local supermarket, broke a beverage bottle on the floor, appared to slip and dislocated his own shoulder. Then he sued for a few 100k and won. The problem is that he got greedy, he keept on doing the "trick" in different supermarkets, but the fifth or sixth one had a surveilance camera that caught it all on tape, and his fraud career was over.

In Finland, and I think most of EU, you cannot get more compensation than the loss you've suffered. If someone breaks your car, you get a new one or the value of your old. If you slip and fall in a supermarket, you'll get your medical bills paid. If you burn your mouth on a cup of coffee, you shut up about it, and learn the signs of a hot beverage, steam, warm cup etc. and you wont sue McDonalds for a few mil.
    I'm sickened by those damn freeloaders that make their living by acting like an idiot and suing for millions. I love the one with the guy who left his RV on cruise control and went to the bathroom or something. His common sensory level must be off the charts.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I'm not really understanding why ford motor company would be sued for an accident that they couldn't have helped. Accessive speeds and a drinking and driving are not Fords fault. Why the hell would the get the 31 mill put on them.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMan22
    I'm not really understanding why ford motor company would be sued for an accident that they couldn't have helped. Accessive speeds and a drinking and driving are not Fords fault. Why the hell would the get the 31 mill put on them.
    Welcome to America, the land of the frivilous lawsuit. In America, you don't have to be responsible for your actions when a jury of your peers (it scares me to think 12 people agreed that Ford was responsible) sees a lawyer explain how big corporations need to be accountable for others' actions.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMan22
    Because they have the deepest pockets of all the comapnies involved.
    Remember they COULD have sued the alcohol company, the store that sold it, the state/county for the roads and road furniture, other road users etc etc.
    Litigation ALWAYS goes after the company with the deepest pockets regardless of blame. HAVING DONE that the courts seem to feel they have to make the damages LARGE enough for them to be punitive. ie Ford woudl never have noticed a $50K fine !! SO the presecuting attorney and the Judge hike the amounts.
    All the wrong ways to run a legal system

It USED to be the case that you didn't get anything if you were stupid in the UK,
    Recent cases HAVE been getting awards and we now have a thriving accident-chasing-lawyers industry
    Some actions are being taken to prevent it getting as bad as the US, but well short of as quickly and severly as it SHOULD be.

The REAL problem I have with this form of litigation is that BIG payments for frivolous deeds means companies are in less of a position to REALLY PAY out to those who are have a LEGITIMATE case to use
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-03-2005 at 03:52 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I'm sickened by those damn freeloaders that make their living by acting like an idiot and suing for millions. I love the one with the guy who left his RV on cruise control and went to the bathroom or something. His common sensory level must be off the charts.
    I agree with you that these law suits are outrageous, but the specific one that you gave as an example never really happened. www.snopes.com is a site that "busts" all of the myths similar to the one that you gave here. It's interesting and I suggest checking it out. I'm skeptical about this Ford one too but if it is real then the jury must have been a bunch of drunken hicks.

EDIT: The specific place in snopes.com with the page that I am referencing to is: http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp
    Last edited by Decave; 03-03-2005 at 05:11 PM.
    I like SUVs because they can tow my 36 foot sailboat.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Nope. I agree this is a pretty messed up lawsuit. As many of you say, only in America would you get someone suing because they spilled hot coffee in their own lap - and WIN. Or the time two young girls left cookies for their neighbors, but scared one of them so badly she went to the hospital and sued (also winning the case, incidentally). I hoestly, really hate lawsuits like these. If you're driving drunk and not wearing a seat belt, then as harsh as this sounds, you probably deserve what's comin to ya.

It's not like it's Ford's fault she decided to drive drunk and not use the seat belts which Ford provided...

C'mon, lets use some commom sense here in the first place? And then take responsibility for it if somehting happens to you when you don't? It's not that hard...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

what i want to is what would have happened if it had stronger glass, the people would have smacked against it and broken their necks, or would stronger glass have even kept them in the car? What kind of moron would expect a 2.5m tall car that has probably nearly 3 METRIC tons of weight half a metre off the ground to be able to make a high speed emergency turn and not flip? THATS WHY YOU DON'T DRIVE 4x4s FAST! I'm sorry but stupid f'in americans shit me tears
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    I'm sorry but stupid f'in americans shit me tears
    Yeah, buddy...she was drunk, I don't think anybody makes smart decisions when they're drunk, whether they're American, German, Australian, Chinese...freakin...Martian or anything. So lay off.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

i wasn't refering to the drunk chumps in the car, i was refering to idiots in the jury that could be convinced by lawyer that a drunk driver isn't to blame becuase the glass wasn't strong enough
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information