Thread: Save V8 Supercar racing in New Zealand and vote now!

Save V8 Supercar racing in New Zealand and vote now!

Quote Originally Posted by www.v8supercars.com.au
    Vote now for a New Zealand street race in Wellington
    Release Date: 07/04/2005
    All V8 Supercar Championship Series supporters have their chance to vote on whether New Zealand should continue to host a round of the series.

Next weekend's Placemakers V8 International at Pukekohe could be the last time New Zealanders get the chance to host an event after the decision by Auckland to withdraw its support of a planned race from next year.

Wellington City Council is now polling the public to gauge support for a street race through the picturesque streets of the city.

Click here to vote through the Placemakers V8 International website to cast your vote for a New Zealand races. Voting closes Monday April 11.
    You'll need to visit the link here: http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/la...nd=M&gid=15600
    to cast a vote.

For those left a bit clueless to the situation, the last couple of years, the V8 Supercars' only international round was in New Zealand at the Pukekohe Park Raceway. The cars have outgrown the circuit and this year is the final year they will be racing there. The plan was to have an Aukland street race replace Pukekohe on the calender, but after alot of fuss made by Aukland council originally hating the idea, then wanting it and now finally hating it again, the organising body of V8 Supercars, AVESCO, was about to give up totally on a NZ race until Wellington announced they would be willing to hold a street race for the V8 Supercars.
    I am the Stig

when will the races occur? i'm going to be there over june/july

If it gets the go-ahead, it'll be from 2006 onwards. The actual calender dates you cant be sure of though, Pukekohe is Rnd2 this year but in past years was one of the last. AVESCO for this year played around with the calender dates after last year i think 80% of the rounds featured rain, most notably Winton.
    I am the Stig

They're redesigning Pukekohe now, AVESCO or someone have signed it off to be able to be raced on now I believe.

It was on the news, i'm sure they said they we're carrying out repairs and expansions to get it ready for the V8 Supercar race. Or were these repairs just for the final race? Who knows..

Pretty sure that was just final race, they fixed the drainage i think and maybe resurfaced it. I think the major concern though is the lap tipes are sub 60 seconds and the track in places is fairly narrow. Sub 60 second lap times make for fast racing, but a bad pitstop can put you a lap down Ambrose found that out in 2003, although IIRC it had alot more to do with his bad form. Looking at the TV you'd think he was 4th, so did Murphy until someone told him he was 25th.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information