Thread: Mercedes and Mercedes-Benz

Mercedes and Mercedes-Benz

I noticed in the UCP cars by brand section that there is a Mercedes and another Mercedes-Benz section. does that mean that they both went seperate ways and then joined forces ? i always though that it started from the beginning in 1886 as Mercedes Benz.

i did a bit of investigations and found that the Mercedes section has cars ranging from model years 1902 to 1926.

the Mercerdes-Benz section ranging from 1927 to 2006.

which sort of confirmed my thoughts of a merge between the two. so did a merge happen somewhere between 1926 and 1927 ? could someone settle this one please !?
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Well the way i read about it was there was a company called Benz, started by Karl Benz in the 1880s then he needed money so he went to some guy who had a lot of money and asked for an investment, he said "OK as long as you put my daughter's (Mercedes) name in the company name" and he did. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Well the way i read about it was there was a company called Benz, started by Karl Benz in the 1880s then he needed money so he went to some guy who had a lot of money and asked for an investment, he said "OK as long as you put my daughter's (Mercedes) name in the company name" and he did. I could be wrong.
    The story is slightly different, In 1899 the main constructor of the German Daimler company Wilhelm Maybach was convinced by the Austrian Daimler agent Emliye Jelinek to built a much more powerful model than currently available. In 1899 the 24 BHP Phoenix-Daimler emerged, but it had a number of problems, and needed to to be redesigned, was took place in 1901. At that time Jelinek managed to name the car after his daughter, Mercedes. From then on the Daimler company produced only Mercedes named vehicles.

In another part of the story appears Carl Benz, who started building cars in 1885, with different degrees of success and continued to do so until 1926. when the company merged with Mercedes, to become the Mercedes-Benz factory, and sometimes the name Daimler Benz is also used to make things more complicated. So the timelines used on UCP to denominate the different cars, is correct
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information