Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My BMW 318iS coupe

My BMW 318iS coupe

I am having great fun using my new scanner so enjoy while it lasts.
    Here is my dream car – well it was my dream car for a long time and like all dream cars I never really thought I would ever really own one.
    I always just wanted a 318iS – not one of the bigger engines – mainly because I am not really into speed so the engine size was not that important. At the same time I knew I did not want a 316 as that engine sounded like a fiesta.
    I had a habit of calling to our local BMW dealer at night looking at the juicy new BMW’s in stock and one night in 1998 I spotted MY beemer.
    Metallic black with all the M kit bits – next day I called to take a test drive in it.

It was £27,000 a sum I had not a hope of affording – but I thought by buying it straight and then selling my vectra 1.7TD privately I might be just able to swing it. :???:
    So with the help of my friendly credit union and me reverting back to my days in car sales I eventually managed to drive off in the beemer without running the risk of me appearing in Stubbs gazette.

This car was far above any of my previous expectations of what would be my first beemer. I had been thinking perhaps a three or four year old one imported from the UK. To actually have managed a new one was just a dream. This was a 1.9 16V (140bph) car so it was no slouch – but not exactly in the burning rubber category. It had the suede / fabric M tech seats, sunroof, side skirts and those lovely alloys on lowered suspension.
    I resisted the temptation to put a spoiler on it as I think they look gaudy.

It was not an expensive car to run and always averaged 35mpg. Being only a 1.9 it was also cheap to tax and the insurance was hefty but manageable.
    Biggest problem was the attention it got from jealous louts – it was scratched a few times and required trips to the paint shop. Nothing ever went wrong with it except for the odd blown bulb and was almost Toyota like in that respect. The quality was just 100% perfect and it never rattled or had bits fall off.
    Even the paint used never chip ( thick / absorbent paint?)

I had this car for almost 5 years and I traded it for the 530D at the start of 2003.
    I really liked this car but wanted something different. It was the true successor to my Golf Gti and would recommend it to anyone. Unfortunately a lot of them are now falling into the hands of the modding brigade. I would rate this car at 10/10 on all aspects. A definite future classic.

I think he already sold it.

looks nice, how about some high-res pics and the egg-nog test?

EDIT: yup he has sold it, got a 530d, so no chance of more pics nor an egg-nog test lol
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Yes my 318iS is history now well it was a nice 5 years motoring - even the 530D is history now as well as I bought a new Alfa Gt at the start of 2005. I will remember the egg nogg test though if I am on about that anytime in the future (highly likely)

Quote Originally Posted by Alfasudcrazy
    Yes my 318iS is history now well it was a nice 5 years motoring - even the 530D is history now as well as I bought a new Alfa Gt at the start of 2005. I will remember the egg nogg test though if I am on about that anytime in the future (highly likely)
    nice, hope to see some pics of the GT soon
    what trim did you get? colour? wheels?
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

I got the 1.9JTD sportivo model in a dark metallic grey (Lipari grey) with the 17' teledial alloys fitted with Goodyear eagle f1's.
    This car comes with leather seats and lots of other goodies as standard.
    Even though it is a diesel it is a quite fast and sporty drive. (150bph)

Congrats for having such a good taste. Allthough the GT is very beautiful I'd keep the 530 instead. Anyway your 318is was indeed a perfect one. Those bumpers and skirts look awesome. Being a BMW fanatic my self, the E36 318is have been tempting me lately as their value is now very low.

Since your relatively new at UCP, welcome! It's always nice to have more people wit driving license here!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I have been rather negative about the GT in the past, I find it a mockery compared to the seminal Bertone Coupes which will always be THE Alfa GT for me. I sympathise though with your engine choice, but personally I would have bought it wrapped in the body of a 156.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I have been rather negative about the GT in the past, I find it a mockery compared to the seminal Bertone Coupes which will always be THE Alfa GT for me. I sympathise though with your engine choice, but personally I would have bought it wrapped in the body of a 156.
    156 is nice too, but this is even more Italian design which makes it a very beautiful car! 1 concern: they don't have a super sporty version of this one, like a GTA version, or even stronger, now the 3.2 delivers 220bhp, not?
    IMO the engines are a little too soft for a car with such a dynamic look... but maybe that's not what Alfa wanted to achieve with the GT

Quote Originally Posted by Fluppe
    156 is nice too, but this is even more Italian design which makes it a very beautiful car! 1 concern: they don't have a super sporty version of this one, like a GTA version, or even stronger, now the 3.2 delivers 220bhp, not?
    IMO the engines are a little too soft for a car with such a dynamic look... but maybe that's not what Alfa wanted to achieve with the GT
    The 3.2-litre V6 on the GT pumps out 240bhp, though that engine is already out of production, I wonder if they are going to replace it with the new 260bhp V6, or just stop making a V6-engined version of the GT.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

In Ireland a 3.2 litre car would cost about 1,300 euro's a year for road tax - and insurance would also be very expensive - like our petrol - so the diesel GT is the only choice both for running costs and resale reasons

What A Car

I think your dream car is a nice one and i bet most guys would love to own one.I am also into 318is but the problem is in my country we dont get 318 2 door but only big expensive engines. currently i am on the process of changing my 325 for a smaller engines. Small engines are good and the difference of speed between big engines and small ones is not much.

Cars are very expensive in my coutry.Would one believe that for 24000 pounds you can get a bmw. The problem with this cars is the resale value

That's a pretty tidy car history! Was the 530d the previous shape one? Most car mags rate that as BMWs best car to date, one of the best all rounders in the world!

Thread Information