Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will Hydrogen cars ever take over?

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by 250 GTO
    My year was just a guess
    how old are you? really... 10? 11? coz if u are 10/11 then ur posts make a lot of sense...

Well all these predictions are way too optimistic. Don't count on them. 2010 is just 5 years away. And the easy think is to implement this technology. The hard part is to make people buy it.

So my opinion is that the shift to any alternative technology will be gradual. Nobody wants to make a huge investment and produce a perfect technology that just isn't going to sell to the average joe

Quiggs: do you know what a gasoline is? It's basically a mixture of hydrocarbon chains with a various amount of carbon atoms. From a chemical point of view it is hard to create new carbon-carbon bond to make those chains, so it is a completly wrong way to try and create synthetic gasoline
    ZemoButts: electrolysis as you know requires electric energy which comes from power plants. To create some amount of hydrogen from water through electrolysis you must first create a lot of energy in a power plant so it is not ecological idea.
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

emperor, tell me what exactly are you studiyng on the politechnika?
    12 cylinders or walk!

Chemistry and I was studying ("Technologia Chemiczna", because there also is "Inżynieria Chemiczna i Procesowa" but this is more chemical engineering than chemistry)
    EDIT: Organic Chemistry if you want more precise
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    any combustion will add CO2 unless the plants used to make the fuel consume an equal amount which i doubt is the case.
    Err... What???

You have one plant, that grew upon the Earth's surface, using materials that the plant extracted from the atmosphere and soil.

You burn that plant, an equal ammount of carbon to that which the plant absorbed during its life is released. There is NO WAY WHATSOEVER that you can get a net increase in CO2 from burning a plant.

Quote Originally Posted by ZemoButts
    they can use electrolysis to make hydrogen and then use them in cars its cheaper and faster
    Yes, I do have a good understanding of how to create hydrogen. I have done it before.

Where do you get the electricity to achieve the electrolysis?

Fossil fuel burning powerstation, that is where.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    oil companies won't let hydrogen cars ever become popular. until maybe we run dangerousley low on oil.
    Exxon Mobil is working on other fuels besides oil and natural gas. It is researching into hydrogen fuel cell cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Where do you get the electricity to achieve the electrolysis?

Fossil fuel burning powerstation, that is where.
    pwn3d
    pondering things

Fossil fuel burning powerstation, that is where
    nope u could use solar, hydro or geothermal power stations to create electricity we dont need to use fossil fuels anymore there are alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by ZemoButts
    nope u could use solar, hydro or geothermal power stations to create electricity we dont need to use fossil fuels anymore there are alternatives
    All of those currently ammounting to tiny fractions of the "required" ammounts of power.

In Britain you can't really use solar, hydro, geothermal, or wind.

You are left with Nuclear, but since one of Britain's nuclear stations sprung a leak recently, it isn't hugely popular.

You seem to be drastically overestimating the capabilities of "renewable" energy sources.

Consider, for example, the ammount of energy required to build a wind turbine against the ammount of uesful energy it can create.

Most of the energy that a turbine recieves from the wind is lost in friction and heat energy, and then it only works when it is windy...etc, etc.
    Thanks for all the fish

u make a good point but i never said anything about wind energy. but even thought they are all tiny fractions some countrys like iceland only use geothermal power to create electricity and too heat water (it was on the discovery channel). and where i live (Canada) people are converting to solar power its like a trend people are putting it on their roofs and even wal mart is going to be useing them and by 2010 CNE is going to be useing solar power so they will be self sufficient

Not sure about modern panels, BUT about 6-odd years ago it took MORE energy to manufacture an electrical solar panel than the panel would give out over it's lifetime !!
    Panels are sure more efficient and lasting longer than they once did, I'd love to know the current 'energy investment' in the manufacture !!

Heat solar panels are another matter, BUT don't work very well in Scotland
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

do u have a source for that info?

Thread Information