Quote Originally Posted by BMW325
my solution:

3 classes-T, GT, GTP
T (Touring)- at least 3000 identical examples must be produced
GT- (Grand Touring)- at least 200 identical examples must be produced
GTP- (Grand Touring Prototype)- at least 10 identical examples be produced, and at least 100 identical motors

All cars must be road legal.
Each car is inspected to meet local road regualtions for the city of each track.

No car may be modified at all after initial production.
Only regular maintenance parts may be replaced. Examples:
-Tires
-Belts
-Hoses
-Filters
-Fluids

No additional "safety" modifications allowed. However, manufacturers are encouraged to include such features in initial production. Examples:
-Stronger Passenger Structures
-Multiple Point Seat Harnesses
(Of course, drivers must still wear a helmet, fireproof suit, HANS, etc.)

For each car, the number of pit crew members "over the wall" may not exceed the amount of seats in the car. Of course, should the driver bring the car into the garage, an unlimited number of mechanics may work on the car.

I think this would be a nice way to bring a sense of purity back to the sport. It would keep costs down for the individual teams, because no money need be spent on post-production development.
Also, it puts pressure on the car company to make a race-ready, yet road-legal car from the factory.
I like the idea of race cars having more in common with race car, than they have now. For me that part of the sport is important. Maybe that's why I don't like single seaters very much.