Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: to shuffle, or not to shuffle

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Is there another MP3 device that uses it?

Does it matter if it's old, It works! and because the Mouse is an old Design, we should all come up with ways to make a new one?
    Missing the point made and I'll repeat it ....

It was that the Apple had lost the "innovative" tag because what it DID offer first was the idea of LOTS of music storage so you never needed ANYTHIGN ELSE.

They have walked away from that USP.

And definately "old" doesn't mean bad.
    But claiming (repeatedly) innovation in light of evidence proving otherwise was the point.

As with all Apple products what is "clever" is the look-and-feel of the user Interface ( this time physical as well as s/w ) But like with the one-button mouse, it's now behidn the times. Apple learned that, they'ver TRIED to learn with the Phoito iPod and missed the point that EVERYONE is willing and spending the $$$ to go video.

However, as Apple have just been filed with a LAWSUIT from an American company claiming they have the patent on Ipod devices it coul dbe "interesting". Especially as Apple now get somethign like 25% of the WHOLE COMPANY REVENUE from the Ipod line
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-11-2005 at 05:12 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

You might be willing to go video, but I can tell you (My school may be a great representation of this, because we're a target market) I've yet to see anything Mp3 with a Camera on it, save for a mates phone.

Apple claims Innovation because they were (Correct me here if I'm wrong and I'm sure you will) the first on the market with a Substantial sized mp3 Storage/Player system that was portable.

They are redesigning the iPod and a new one (Possibly in Conjunction with Nokia, I've heard) will be like a phone with a Hard Drive, so people don't have to carry two devices when they can carry one.

The iPod is behind the times because of a Monochrome screen, but again, it's still functional and sells well, it's just not on the forefront of technology.

Give it time though, and it'll be back to the head of the Pack. Apple hates to be last seasons gear. It's a Computer company run by Fashion basically.......

And Apple were sued by Customers due to the Battery issue (Which Spastik is almost too eager to expose) so I guess they're on good terms with their laywer......
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Can I briefly interrupt with a dumb question...? How do I quote just part of someone's post?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    Why is Rockefella so cool?
    You mean like this ^? (Hah, I'm so cool)

When you press the quote button on someone's post, their message will be placed verbatim in the:

[QU.OTE=whoever.you.quoted]blahblahblah this is the message[/QUOTE] (ignore the dots)

thing above your post. Just go in to there, and delete whatever text you don't want posted. If you don't understand what I'm saying, just get me at MSN or PM me.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    You mean like this ^? (Hah, I'm so cool)

If you don't understand what I'm saying, just get me at MSN or PM me.
    Like this?

Like this? Dayamn, this "quote" button is some serious stuff!!!
    Yup, like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella

Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Why is Rockefella so cool?
    What do you expect if you were born the day after me?

What do you expect if you were born the day after me?
    Stop messing with my head. My level of awesomeness cannot be influenced by someone elses birthday!
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Get a mobile phone with Mp3 player. Buy a 2gb Sd card or something and bang you got alotta music as long as ur mobile phone can take SD Cards. And if there was a phone that could take Microdrives (is there?), you can get the same space for songs as a entry level Ipod Mini, plus a nice mobile. All for less than buying both and alot less clutter aswell. AND earphones can double as handsfree set if its got a mic aswell. Everyones a winner

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    You might be willing to go video, but I can tell you (My school may be a great representation of this, because we're a target market) I've yet to see anything Mp3 with a Camera on it, save for a mates phone.
    Differences in our environment
    Over here, LOTS of folks have and use them.
    Some figures from research we use ( we're a telecomms test company )
    "36% were interested in making / receiving video calls"

But the UK has pretty much led the world in using mobile devices ( except Japan - a world to themself ). As some places are just getting used to being able to SMS to anyone else in a mobile, the UK is now about 25% of all traffic is MMS ( ie pics or video ). ( likely includes the Amaryllo army vid )
    Apple claims Innovation because they were (Correct me here if I'm wrong and I'm sure you will) the first on the market with a Substantial sized mp3 Storage/Player system that was portable.
    The issues is "substantial"
    It was the mix that Apple got right first time around ( IMHO ).
    The size wasn't the smallest, the disc space in the size WAS though. Other large storage were bigger. The original mechanical wheel though sucked
    "Innovation" as I said was where Apple continue to do it by "prodcut design" and PR. The electronics are all someone elses - Wolfson ( an EDINBURGH company ), PortalPlayer and Toshiba. The Operating System too. The mechanical wheel had been used for decades for menu selection. The "touch" one though was NICE improvement - but again NOT Apples, that's Synaptics
    They are redesigning the iPod and a new one (Possibly in Conjunction with Nokia, I've heard) will be like a phone with a Hard Drive, so people don't have to carry two devices when they can carry one.
    erm, said this at the beginning THIS is where Apple lost track of the market. The phone companies have been doing it for ages. NOT using hard drives, but using plug in cards. Also video. Apple are late realising that the world has moved on and mobile phones and PDAs are fast becoming THE "one device" to carry. Bluetooth headest, blutooth control and the electronics stays in your pocket out of the way until you want to see a picture or video
    I'm sure the Apple devotees will wait till Apple do it before it is considered "cool" !!!
    The iPod is behind the times because of a Monochrome screen, but again, it's still functional and sells well, it's just not on the forefront of technology.
    That was the point I was making.
    NOT that it's bad, but there is "better"
    Give it time though, and it'll be back to the head of the Pack. Apple hates to be last seasons gear. It's a Computer company run by Fashion basically.......
    Yep, but when someone owns SO MUCH market share it becomes very easy to stop listening as hard to the market needs and get overtaken - which has happened already !!
    THAT was the point I was raising WAY AT THE START. THere are currently "better" solutions out there for less money offering more features.
    But as with the PC v Apple debate it wont' matter to some buyers ( and even to some techies - until Apple annouces they're switching to Intel and suddenly the Intel procesors are OK, "cool" )
    And Apple were sued by Customers due to the Battery issue (Which Spastik is almost too eager to expose) so I guess they're on good terms with their laywer......
    Lawsuits for warranty and patents are two different things.
    IF they lose ( unliekly though ) then the patent holder can request payment from REVENUES.
    Patent lawyers are a different bread from ambulance-chasers. MUCH more highly paid and MUCH nastier

On "quality" I asked around. I'm an engineer, so wanted som eFACTS and not just the "Apple sounds best", "Sony is better bass", but FIGURES> I was SHOCKED to find some .......

Harmonic Distortion on the iPod was MEASURED by a German firm at 0.46%. The same test on the iRiver was 0.04%. 10 TIMES BETTER.
    They also showed that the iRiver had a MUCH flatter frequency response than the iPod which drops bass quickly.

Now I'm not saying the iPod sounds terrible as it doesn't.
    I'm only providing facts showing that it's engineering is NOT the best around and for the price it does NOT command the "quality sound" ground

SO if someone is asking abotu which player to use, let me recap...
    Think what you want it for. Does pictures and video appeal ?
    HOW will you use it, where ?
    COMPARE other products and dont' take sales volume or market share as a measure of "quality".
    TRY to get the best for your money -- it wont' always come from the most expensive or the one with the largets marketing budget
    Be careful on warranty. Make sure if it goes wrong then you KNOW it wil be repaired at no cost.

You might chose Apple, you might not, but at least it's informed
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

okay, i have figured it out

instead of buying an iPod right away, im going to buy my PowerBook first. i want to get it before Mactel takes over, so i figure i will buy it about febuary. if i order it through the Apple.com Education Centre, i get a $180 discount on the 20GB iPod....so i will buy it then

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    okay, i have figured it out

instead of buying an iPod right away, im going to buy my PowerBook first. i want to get it before Mactel takes over, so i figure i will buy it about febuary. if i order it through the Apple.com Education Centre, i get a $180 discount on the 20GB iPod....so i will buy it then
    Get a WRITTEN statement on guaranteed warranty on processor faults !

one of the problems in the industry when you switch suppliers is the manufacturer makes teh comapny buy a "lifetime supply" of components. Will Apple hold enough stock for all future faults ? Gettign it in writing will be safest. At least then if you HAVE to switch to the Intel then youhave leverage to get a better deal from them

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Differences in our environment
    Over here, LOTS of folks have and use them.
    Some figures from research we use ( we're a telecomms test company )
    "36% were interested in making / receiving video calls"

I guess this is a Different Environment, the London Train bombings showed just how useful this Video technology can be, but, whether it's my personal preferance or the actual trend in Australia, Video Capability is still far to expensive.

But the UK has pretty much led the world in using mobile devices ( except Japan - a world to themself ). As some places are just getting used to being able to SMS to anyone else in a mobile, the UK is now about 25% of all traffic is MMS ( ie pics or video ). ( likely includes the Amaryllo army vid )

I haven't had any experiance in this area (i'm battling a Tech, for god sakes ) so I'll take your word for it. I would guess that it's probably only 5-10%of Traffic in Australia.

The issues is "substantial" It was the mix that Apple got right first time around ( IMHO ).
    The size wasn't the smallest, the disc space in the size WAS though. Other large storage were bigger. The original mechanical wheel though sucked
    "Innovation" as I said was where Apple continue to do it by "prodcut design" and PR. The electronics are all someone elses - Wolfson ( an EDINBURGH company ), PortalPlayer and Toshiba. The Operating System too. The mechanical wheel had been used for decades for menu selection. The "touch" one though was NICE improvement - but again NOT Apples, that's Synaptics

It's I guess a Personal preferance that I find An iPod easier to use than other devices, and your very correct in saying the Apple got the Mix right.

Don't think I'm an Apple Fanboy (I have to use them for school, the most annoying Computer. Ever.) but it is the Mp3 Player that broke the market basically and set what people expect. The benchmark, if you will, that others have since surpassed.

erm, said this at the beginning THIS is where Apple lost track of the market. The phone companies have been doing it for ages. NOT using hard drives, but using plug in cards. Also video. Apple are late realising that the world has moved on and mobile phones and PDAs are fast becoming THE "one device" to carry. Bluetooth headest, blutooth control and the electronics stays in your pocket out of the way until you want to see a picture or video

I'd love to be able to do this, but I had enough problems Getting my Sony Ericsson T630 (How behind the times am i ) for a good price. My Mate tried to do this Card trick with his brand new Sony Ericsson Z800 or something, The phone had problems reading the card because it was so big and he'd stuffed it with stuff. Theres a way to go before the Technology becomes good AND affordable.

I'm sure the Apple devotees will wait till Apple do it before it is considered "cool" !!!

No arguments here. I know too many people happy to sing the praises of Apples. I CAN'T USE THEM?!

Yep, but when someone owns SO MUCH market share it becomes very easy to stop listening as hard to the market needs and get overtaken - which has happened already !!
    THAT was the point I was raising WAY AT THE START. There are currently "better" solutions out there for less money offering more features.
    But as with the PC v Apple debate it wont' matter to some buyers ( and even to some techies - until Apple annouces they're switching to Intel and suddenly the Intel procesors are OK, "cool" )

I'm not getting into the Apple/PC debate because I know nothing about it but I've yet to find a good solution from the Local stores which I can actually Afford (My iPod cost me $579 au, The best I can get for that Now ATM is an iRiver Video Ugly Thing (Don't know designation, sorry) with only 20Gb.

Lawsuits for warranty and patents are two different things.
    IF they lose ( unliekly though ) then the patent holder can request payment from REVENUES.
    Patent lawyers are a different bread from ambulance-chasers. MUCH more highly paid and MUCH nastier

I'll take your word for it, Speaking from experiance it seems.

On "quality" I asked around. I'm an engineer, so wanted som eFACTS and not just the "Apple sounds best", "Sony is better bass", but FIGURES> I was SHOCKED to find some .......

Harmonic Distortion on the iPod was MEASURED by a German firm at 0.46%. The same test on the iRiver was 0.04%. 10 TIMES BETTER.
    They also showed that the iRiver had a MUCH flatter frequency response than the iPod which drops bass quickly.

Stop baffling me with figures! But you can't argue with numbers, thats why I've changed Headphones to my old Sony Ones, they work so much better.

Now I'm not saying the iPod sounds terrible as it doesn't.
    I'm only providing facts showing that it's engineering is NOT the best around and for the price it does NOT command the "quality sound" ground

It's also comparing a two year old product with a brand new one.there are bound to be improvements and gains in that time.

SO if someone is asking about which player to use, let me recap...
    Think what you want it for. Does pictures and video appeal ?
    HOW will you use it, where ?
    COMPARE other products and dont' take sales volume or market share as a measure of "quality".
    TRY to get the best for your money -- it wont' always come from the most expensive or the one with the largets marketing budget
    Be careful on warranty. Make sure if it goes wrong then you KNOW it wil be repaired at no cost.

This is a gospel. I've got a Warranty for my iPod and it'll come in handy if i Ever drop it down stairs again.

You might chose Apple, you might not, but at least it's informed
    I guess my Choice on the issue was a bit Fashion-Driven. It was the coolest thing at the time and I was the only person in the school to have that particular model (I still am, considering 40Gb's sold terribly......) but I recognised a good product (At the time) and I still think it's good. It's just not the best or newest.

I like it, Thats all that matters to me
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

When I first heard about the battery issue (I was originally gunna get a shuffle) my first response was "But I-pods are so cool!"

Nuff said really Sometimes the choice is a bit function follows form but thats Human nature....

RE: mobile phone costs and impact on adoption of video etc......

The UK ( and some of Europe ) still seems to be leading the phone features at cost and affects our view and availability of technology.

Daughter's recent acquisition was a phone with the same display as the Photo iPod. Video, still camera ( *only* 1Mpixel ) and mp3 player. FREE including FREE Bluetooth headset on contract. The contract is 20 quid a month for 6 months and then will be 12 pounds per month. She is currently getting 400 free minutes and 500 free SMS per month. After month six that will go to 200 and 150 and she can chose to go to pre-pay and go even cheaper .
    There are now BETTER deals on better phones ( 2Mpixel auto-focus .

So video use over here is actually now quite common.
    Almost everyone has a phone that is 1-2 years old.

( and we're about 1-2 years behind the Japanese market. Their standard is different and we dont' get their smart features until adopted over to GSM )
    Teenagers ALL have the "latest"
    Expectations because of this may be higher than others.

Thread Information