Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regenerative braking to help F1 overtaking woes?

Regenerative braking to help F1 overtaking woes?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33473

MOSLEY SUGGESTS 'BOOST' SYSTEM
    Last Updated: Tuesday, 12, July, 2005, 12:04
    Click to enlarge

Max Mosley is reported to be discussing possibilities for Formula 1 cars to feature a regenerative power system that would help overtaking.

Heat and energy generated during heavy braking would be stored in a battery, and used to give drivers an extra burst of power for short periods, according to The Guardian.

This could increase passing opportunities as cars would be using the 'boost' at different times.

Mosley envisages a low-tech, low-downforce future for F1, but the teams and manufacturers are ambivalent about his vision.

They want F1 to be at the cutting edge of automotive technology.

Mosley hopes that the regenerative system would be high-tech enough to appease the manufacturers, while also achieving another of his aims by helping overtaking.

"This concept has had an enthusiastic response from the car makers," said Mosley. "We want to get the emphasis away from hidden technology, whereas this would have direct relevance."

The recent FIA/AMD survey revealed that while fans want to see more overtaking, they also want F1 to retain its reputation for technological excellence.

The drivers have a similar opinion.

“We should find a good compromise,” said championship leader Fernando Alonso.

“Of course we would like to drive the fastest car possible.

“When you arrive here (in F1) you want maximum technology and maximum car performance.

“But for sure you can have something in the middle.”
    I am the Stig

sounds like a decent idea.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

That is really creative. Wonder if they will actually do that.

Im wondering how they plan to utilise the stored electrical charge, auxiliary electric motors?
    I am the Stig

NAWZ!!!

a set amount of NAWZ is put in a can.
    the harder someone breaks the more pressure it gets thus the faster the go when the loud pedal is down
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Good lord! That's the most exciting new idea I've heard in years.
    No, really, I love it and I think I'll start to like F1 again.
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

The IRL has it. It doesn't make it any more exciting to watch.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Yeah but the IRL only has 3 events that ARENT ovals, so most of the time they'd rely on slipstreaming
    I am the Stig

um... wouldn't that put a lot of weight on the cars?

i still dun understand why would they wanna take away down-force... =/

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    um... wouldn't that put a lot of weight on the cars?

They have to drop the cornering speeds.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    Get rid of some of the positives and you get rid of some of the negatives. Less downforce should bring less drag, which will allow the cars to follow closer through corners without experiencing loss of what little downforce the rules leave them
    I am the Stig

Quite decent. Of course Toyota will want this badly, as this technology is used on the Prius and RX400h to charge the electric motor. Very creative idea. It will attract the NOS fans, as it has a similar effect.

They introduced grooved tyres in 1998 to reduce grip, and improve overtaking.

It didn't work.

They then reduced the ammount of downforce to reduce grip and improve overtaking.

It didn't work in 1999, it was worse in 2000, it was worse again in 2001, it was worse again in 2002, it was worse again in 2003, it was worse again in 2004, and in 2005 on track overtaking has become virtually impossible, even if you are in a car which can lap 2 seconds faster than the car in front with clear air.

If at first you don't succeed, keep doing it unsuccessfully for 6 years: the FIA way.

If you want to increase overtaking, give the cars proper tyres, or aero that doesn't make getting anywhere near the car in front almost impossible.

They do NOT need to start pissing about with more of Max Mosley's stupid little ideas about "improving" overtaking.
    Thanks for all the fish

Max Mosley is destroying the sport! I am going to be pissed if he decides to go for reelection. Someone needs to come in a cleanup the mess he has made.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    If at first you don't succeed, keep doing it unsuccessfully for 6 years: the FIA way.

If you want to increase overtaking, give the cars proper tyres, or aero that doesn't make getting anywhere near the car in front almost impossible.

They do NOT need to start pissing about with more of Max Mosley's stupid little ideas about "improving" overtaking.
    PLease CS, at least add th FULL facts to the hsitory.

The teams discussed and in the main AGREED to the measures. They blocked some of the others. As soon as a change was announced the design engieners THEN worked their butts off to take advatage of the changes.

The FIA hadn't expected the HUGE leaps in design that happened in that time - especially aero and tyre technology !!!

So this time, they're basically saying they need to get back to somethgin a lot SIMPLER and MUCH lower tech. Sadly some of the teams STILL think it's wrong and this isn't ended yet.

To "blame" the FIA is forgetting that the Formula One admistration had a hand and that the major teams designers were consulted for ideas and agreeemtn BEFORE the rules are written into the articles.

PLEASE stop making the FIA to be the bogeyman. They are the POLICE FORCE. They aren't really even the courts as it goes to the MotorSport body !!!!

Paranoia may be appropriate at times, but not always
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information