I read recently where Jewish people cant eat pork (which I knew) or shellfish. Apart from being pleased Im not Jewish, it made me think about traditions and customs. While Im not aiming this soley at religion, it pertains to it as well as other customs. A custom or tradition must start somewhere. Some person or group have at some time, in most cases hundreds if not thousands of years ago, decided for whatevert their reasons, that an act is either desirable, undesirable, taboo or compulsory. What I cant reconcile is why people today would persist in living their lives according to some ancient , and in many cases unreasonable, set of rules. What they are saying effectively, is that whoever made these rules up, and I dont know who they were, is more qualified to run my life than I am. I am not capable of making rational decisions so I will rely on a person/s from history to do it for me. In the case of religion this becomes deadly of course and as we all know is responsible for much of the atrocities that have been pertpetrated throughout all of history.