Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GM going bankrupt???

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Maybe you should read this excert from adamfraser's post

Market valuation is what the market (investors, share holders.....) consider the company to be worth. Where did you get a figure that is 18.75 times this?
    http://money.cnn.com/news/companies/...period=quarter

that is the balance sheet, the real "value" of a company is indeed what investors are willing to pay. You can also roughly calculate the value by multiplying the number of shares times the current value at the stock exchange.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    that is the balance sheet, the real "value" of a company is indeed what investors are willing to pay. You can also roughly calculate the value by multiplying the number of shares times the current value at the stock exchange.
    and in best tradition the long term debt has been missed off that BS.
    It's over $100Bn and somebody decides not to enter it

Friend who was our companies CFO had a great story of an interview (may be urban myth ) . He went for an interview when newly qualified. Was given an extract from the company books and asked to produce a balance sheet and a profit and loss account. His first question was "what do you want, a profit or a loss?" . He got the job !!!!! Lesson ? Accountants legally assign monies to different parts of BS/P&L for their own purposes Was a lesson I used when deciding where to invest
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information