Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main page suggestion

Main page suggestion

To be honest I think UCP may be a bit too static.I looks quite dull at first glance.Only if you look further,you discover the HUgE database with stuff.Everything is so still,nothing moves,perhaps it is a bit too boring.Maybe some moving buttons made with "flash" would be nice.What do you think of it?Perhaps a bit more dynamic page would be nice.

Sjoerd

that will be nice. just dont make too much animation. simple is nice though, it dont take a long time to open a page.
    Reach for the moon! Even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars!

more bandwith = more money for wouter to pay.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I think its one of the best looking car sites on the net.

But what your suggesting will/can get anoying, i like the idea but it does get tiring.

Look - http://www.cream2005.info/
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

Quote Originally Posted by UCR

But what your suggesting will/can get anoying, i like the idea but it does get tiring.

that is way over the top.I mean to keep it simple and still fast loading.Not too much, not too little.
    like this page:
    http://www.betterphoto.com/home.asp

Quote Originally Posted by UCR

The business I own along with my brother, is pretty much about webdesign. And to be honest I think there's a lot of imagination lacking from that one. It's annoying, and I guess an intro doesn't do much for a site like UCP, that just has to be easy to consult. What I may admit it lacks on UCP main page is freshness. Maybe more white or a less dark blue. Maybe a softer blue or just another bright color instead.

On the header of the page I'd take the blue out and make the letters "Ultimatecarpage" blue over white background. Blue over blue is against comunnication design and perception rules. It doesn't stick out enough.

Maybe I'd change the color on the navigation bar too. The one in wich we have the links for "Cars, Events, Features, Store, etc." I'd maybe put another color to make some contrast with the dark blue, since it's the main navigation way into the site.

Hope Wouter doesn't mind we're giving all this opinions and smart-ass ideas. It's a small contribute. Not that I think it looks bad as it is, but i'd change a thing or two. But I'm working with webdesign and advertising, so I'm maybe a bit too finical with this kind of things.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    that is way over the top.I mean to keep it simple and still fast loading.Not too much, not too little.
    like this page:
    http://www.betterphoto.com/home.asp

There is nothing made with flash on that site.
    That scrolling menu is simple HTML.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I like this design.
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/

it makes a good use of flash, but is still usable, and you can choose a HTML version if you have dialup.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

I hate Flash websites, when ever you try to get an image off one, you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    I hate Flash websites, when ever you try to get an image off one, you can't.

Use Print Screen and then Ctrl V into Photoshop to cut the image you got.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    more bandwith = more money for wouter to pay.
    That's one of the most common misconceptions about Flash which lives on courtesy of BAD Flash developers. Flash is not high bandwidth. In fact, its vector graphics can make an all Flash site "lighter" than an HTML one with GIF/JPG images - well implemented Flash sites take less bandwidth, not more, leaving you some space to play with maybe some audio effects, etc! Why do you think you're seeing so many more Flash ad banners these days?

That said, I don't like to see Flash (or certainly not too much Flash) on informational sites - but that's for different reasons. I don't like being distracted from what I'm trying to view/read by pointless flashing bits. I'm not convinced it would be appropriate for UCP. I don't disagree - it wouldn't do the UCP design any harm to be freshened, but I don't think you need to start playing with Flash to do so.

And Flash has serious accessibility issues still, which is my biggest bugbear with the whole format.

G
    Last edited by greg.harvey; 09-26-2005 at 05:38 AM.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

I agree with McReis. Maybe add another color to UCP's 'main color' group? How about a ... black or silver?

Something should be done, but what?

If you look at Flash websites, I really hate them... There are a lot of great and good-looking HTML sites. I also think that they are more attractive if you get here for the first time.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

I hate moving/noisy websites. I'm a fan of simple text.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    I hate moving/noisy websites. I'm a fan of simple text.
    i wished the judges at the thinkquest website bulding competition i which i entered were like you too.Our HTML and javascript only pagedid not get any price.I have heard from many people though, they find the rest of the website,the real content, very good if not better.we were given many downpoints for "not using the full capabilities of the internet" , "not having created a dynamic website".
    judge for yourselves:
    http://proto5.thinkquest.nl~lle0289

Perhaps buttons like on this website would be nice.You know, following your mouse.

And i am only giving constructive comments on your website, Wouter, no hard feelings.It is a awesome website as it is now, but with a slight change it could be even better.Whether you use this input or not is up to you. IMHo it would suit a proper webmaster to listen to the comments and decide how to make improvements.
    The new lay-out was already a step in the good direction.However, it could use a little more.If you need help, i will help you as much as is in my capabilities.I,myself, have the skills to create a decent HTML page and some javascript things.I am learning how to use php-code and Flash right now.
    Last edited by drakkie; 09-26-2005 at 07:09 AM.

imo ucp looks really good and nothing should be changed about it

simple and elegant
    and functional
    12 cylinders or walk!

Thread Information