Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: making UCP better

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    but an improvement wont hurt.
    Reach for the moon! Even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars!

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    ^what he said

does this look like an ad?

I think that this website is doing perfectly as it is. Wouter has the massive job of keeping this website up to date, which he does very well, and which I could imagine takes up immense amounts of time. The website has an already massive database of cars, which only gets expanded. There's nothing wrong with slow expansion, and as has been said before it usually makes it quality over quantity. I haven't found a website to compare to this one, it's a brilliant design, very clean, has immense amounts of data on a remarkable number of cars and it's all correct.
    I say that it's doing just fine as it is, and thank Wouter infinitely for it.
    And if anyone who thinks it's not going fast is wanting to make a website which CAN add 7 cars a day, please be my guest. I'd love to see it.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    I think we should consider adding rarer cars such as the NSX-R GT or Ferrari Mythos.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Being a car site, it would be nice to have a bunch of new cars added more often...but like Spaz said, quality over quantity. Wouter's work isn't just limited to adding new cars and specs. Keeping the site up and running and up to date software wise is also time consuming. Add to that the admistrative aspect of running a biz, yes...UCP is a business, so factor in the time spent trying to make UCP profitable.

I'm sure as time goes on, UCP will only get better and better, I'm sure Wouter appreciates all suggestions, just give it time.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

some inside comments:

The actual database is already much larger than the number of cars featured, many cars just sit there until proper high res pics become available.

The idea to add a car every day would invariably result in comments like: There is no new car today, what is wrong with the site, and it would require having access to internet everyday, which might be conflicting with the visits made to various events. One should compare the site with an online magazine, and not a daily newspaper. The attractive part of the "magazine" type of site is that you have permanent access to all old copies of the magazine, without having to go out and by a new shelf every year.

To increase the number of cars we recently opened Henk Oddball's corner, where people are invited to put picture (preferably their own) of cars of the lesser or more unknown kind, that are (not yet) featured on the main page. By adding some specs and a little story on each car a sort of "junior" UCP can be created, but it requires that people actively go out, take pics and do some research. Up to now not many people have reacted, but we are hoping that eventually the thing takes of.

Finally, yes, preparing updates costs time and effort, and the attached pic shows part of UCP's library. As it was taken already a year ago, the size in the mean time has gone up considerably.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    I think it's fine as is.
    Me too. And it would be alot more work for W etc, and time they probably don't have.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by white devil
    ive been a member in UCP from the start (i think ) anyways i like to post in this site but i have 1 problem that i was hoping for it to change..

u see cars are only added like once a week...and somtimes it is kinda boaring to wait for a week to see what is added ... So is their a chance that could change possibly ??
    maybe try this...Todays added cars ....and just add cars each single day instead of waiting for a week..
    i beleive this way will make people more intrested to visit UCP more often
    Although I like what I do a lot, I do not intend on working 7 days per week.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Although I like what I do a lot, I do not intend on working 7 days per week.
    you deserve a weekend too

Wouldn't it be possible to use planned tasks on your computer though ? with the right coding it could be done by itself.

For now, i find the forums add everything the main site misses, and the other way around.Keep it going W, your work is appreciated by many !

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    you deserve a weekend too

Wouldn't it be possible to use planned tasks on your computer though ? with the right coding it could be done by itself.

For now, i find the forums add everything the main site misses, and the other way around.Keep it going W, your work is appreciated by many !
    I'd rather be around to see if it all turned out as planned. For now we will stick with the weekly update of cars on Monday and special features on Wednesday or Thursday. Although not announced on the main page many entries are modified or added every week. This Monday not 8, but 25 cars were actually added to the database.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

This Monday not 8, but 25 cars were actually added to the database.
    it's quite unfortunate that those other 17 are not noticed by 95% of the people if not more.I am always interested, in them, but cannot locate the exact new cars this way perhaps a point of improval.

it's quite unfortunate that those other 17 are not noticed by 95% of the people if not more.I am always interested, in them, but cannot locate the exact new cars this way perhaps a point of improval.
    That's a very good point, I certainly agree.

Perhaps something such as a link to the cars added from a month ago, getting updated by the rolling week?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3
    That's a very good point, I certainly agree.

Perhaps something such as a link to the cars added from a month ago, getting updated by the rolling week?
    That's not a bad idea, although sometimes the modifications are only minimal. It will be added to the todo list.

(Ted Joans)

That's not a bad idea, although sometimes the modifications are only minimal. It will be added to the todo list.
    NICE lets hope the to do list isnt very long

NICE lets hope the to do list isnt very long
    A short to-do list is not a good sign.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information