Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: USSR"s cars

There were some cars with four headlights for domestic market, too.
    As for the model. The difference between 408 and 412 was in the engine and the interior. The exterior was the same. 408's engine was 1358cc, 50hp unit, and 412's - 1480cc, 75hp. If you could find this info in paperwork you have, one problem would be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    There were some cars with four headlights for domestic market, too.
    I think those were simply export cars sold domestically. It was a common practice in all the communist countries. The cars made for export were better equipped and assembled with greater care, so if you had some contacts in the foreign trade central, ministry, factory, party commitee, etc. you would ask them to arrange an export-specification car for you.

Quote Originally Posted by macman
    Well folks yours truely with the frog intellect isn't even 100% sure if its a 408. as I said all the paperwork is in Hungarian. Our friend from Poland says it must be an export model as it has four head lights heres a couple more pictures to see if it can be identified for sure!
    It's certainly a pre-1969 model, but whether a 408 or a 412, I can't tell from the outside.
    One interesting feature of the 1.5-litre engine used in 412 (which was essentially a copy of the contemporary BMW 1500 unit) was that the cylinder barrels could be replaced on their own, without the necessity to repair/replace the whole engine.

BTW: Why have you bought a Moskwicz? It's not a common car in UK, nor anything of a regarded classic car. It's great to see that people are interested in former Soviet block cars. I'm simply curious what caused your interest in this car.
    Last edited by go.pawel; 12-06-2007 at 03:58 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

AUTOSOVIET - All about the Eastern cars and motorcycles <<<look what ive found comrads intresting automobiles in here i cant beleive I didnt look earlier!
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Moskvich

I have alwas been interested in Soviet cars, I like the no frills approach of a car that is built to last on a budget & easy to repair.
    I wanted a Moskvich quite simply because I had never seen one other than in pictures & think that they are an attractive vehicle, I work with some Polish people who think that i've lost my mind
    I have worked out that the car has the 1358cc engine I bought an old car brochure for a 412 & the picture of the engine looks nothing like mine.
    I now have the struggle of trying to find mechanical parts which all seem to be unavailable.
    It needs a new brake master cylinder, cluch master cylender & a good service, there seem to be no air or oil filters or gaskit sets available which makes me think that perhaps the 1358 engine might never have come to this part of the world.
    I love the car though, the bodywork is in fine condition & the engine runs well.
    Ah the joy of old cars, I shall just have to be patient.

macman, some of us were around when Moskvich were for sale in the UK and especially up here in Scotland.
    You HAVE lost your mind
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Moskvich

There were none that I recall of when I was growing up in the borders but there seem to have been a fair few up here in Aberdeen.
    I have a friend who was a mechanic up here in the late 60's & early 70's,
    he remembers working on them in the early 70's but they were all the facelifted models with the 1500 engine.
    He had never seen the earlier model or come accross the 1358cc engine thats why I wondered if it might have only been the 1500's that were imported.
    We always had Datsuns, first the 1200 then a string of 120y's the only Soviet car I remember seeing localy in Hawick back then was a 1960's Skoda Octavia & I think thats what started my interest in eastern cars.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLEO View Post
    lets discuss the USSR"s cars
    they"re fantastic!!
    zaz,gaz,vaz,azlk,others...
    Hi! This is my car! AZLK 2140 "Moskvich"
    Last edited by deskor; 12-10-2007 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    412's - 1480cc, 75hp.
    SAE - 80 PS

Moskvich

Cool car, what year was it made? The colour makes it look very 1970's!
    Are many Moskvich cars left in your country or are they quite rare?
    Do you drive it all year or only during the summer months?

Quote Originally Posted by macman View Post
    Cool car, what year was it made? The colour makes it look very 1970's!
    Are many Moskvich cars left in your country or are they quite rare?
    Do you drive it all year or only during the summer months?
    It's made in 1979. Use this car all year. And today too.
    In my country many using such cars.

Quote Originally Posted by deskor View Post
    It's made in 1979. Use this car all year. And today too.
    In my country many using such cars.
    You need some paint on the grille but still a nice looking automobile .

Do many people modify cars there?
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    You need some paint on the grille but still a nice looking automobile .

In Kazakhstan I have seen several riced Ladas....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    In Kazakhstan I have seen several riced Ladas....
    Amazing rice really is everwhere! and anything for that matter

Ive have read a partially satrical post from india where a young man wanted to races his hindustan ambassador Quite funny and I quite enjoyed the improvised mechanics used to make it go faster.

Amazing rice really is everwhere! and anything for that matter

Ive have read a partially satrical post from india where a young man wanted to races his hindustan ambassador Quite funny and I quite enjoyed the improvised mechanics used to make it go faster.
    we had a TV commercial here, where a young Indian drove his ambassador against the wall, and started "reconstructing" all the body work. In the end the car was on the road again, and looked exactly like a battered Peugeot 207....(which was the subject of the commercial).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You need some paint on the grille
    Now completed!

Many

Thread Information