Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F1 ideas

F1 ideas

OK, I think F1 isn't nearly close to being the "pinnacle of motorsports" at present. Like a wise man once said, if you have to highlight problems, at least offer solutions as well, so I thought we start up a thread with workable, realistc changes to F1.

Here's mine:

1) Get rid of Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley.
    2) Instead of punishing teams if their engines fail, reward them when the engines last... If an engine survives to the next race, plus one contructor's championship point. If it survives 3 races, 2 points extra. Survives 4 races, 3 points extra etc.
    3) Revert back to the old qualifying format. The new one sucks!
    4) Increase engine-size to 4 litres. This would open up the field to different types of engines, like V12s, V10s and maybe even V8s.
    5) Limit power to 850hp. This will create a more even playing field. It might sound daft to limit power, but this creates an oppertunity for the players to experiment with how that power is produced, like peaky and high-revving, or low-down grunt.
    6) Limit wings and de-limit diffuser-size.
    7) Bring back real slicks!

Let us know what suggestions you have!
    Wife/ Girlfriend/ Mistress: "That's it! I've had it! You have to choose, it's either me or that carsite you visit so much!!!"

UCP Member: "I'm sorry honey... I sure am gonna miss ya."

introduce obstacles, and have cows cross the track at random points.

seriously, they should somehow increase interaction with the audience, maybe have a country vs country race.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    What's the difference between the war in Iraq and the new rules in F1..........?
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    What's the difference between the war in Iraq and the new rules in F1..........?

I give, what's the difference?
    Wife/ Girlfriend/ Mistress: "That's it! I've had it! You have to choose, it's either me or that carsite you visit so much!!!"

4) Why?
    5) How!?
    6) Why?

what do you think is the problem? not enough passing?

IMO, no matter what changes happen, the driver's title is becoming less and less important. look at how often both titles have belonged to the same team recently (), the car is still more important. not really a complaint. i think the cars are technically incredible but the whole "sport" is ridiculous. dragging all that shit around to every race (saw over 23 semi trucks for one team alone at Hockenheim) is absurd. its all pointless.
    toyota has a big ad campain for their clean air hybrids yet they spend over $500 million dollars/yr to drive cars in circles.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    introduce obstacles, and have cows cross the track at random points.

seriously, they should somehow increase interaction with the audience, maybe have a country vs country race.
    like A1 GP?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    like A1 GP?
    they have cows on their tracks?

you're probably right, i don't actually follow f1....
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Johnnyperl, 4) to bring back some variety, 5) I don't know, there must be a simple way of monitoring it. Engine ECUs can do the trick, can't it? 6) To enable some tailgating around the corners. The wings are super-sensitive to "clean" and "dirty" air, but diffusers not so much, since it creates more of a suction-type of downforce (if I understand it correctly).

I just have to stress that my suggestions were only that - suggestions.

I completely agree with you though, the sport has been raped the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsbeemer
    1) Get rid of Bernie Ecclestone
    could be hard, seeing as though i thought he actually OWNS F1.

I have a suggestion, piss off F1 altogether and completely replace it with V8 supercars. Much more entertaining

haha yeah in v8 supercars the drivers get out of their cars and abuse each other.. :P not to mention all the passing and the 5 different drivers still in the hunt for the championship with only 2 rounds to go

I quite like F1 the way it is, it just needs to be explained better (see my thread 'F1' in the racing page)

The whole rear wing thing isn't so much a by-product of the regulations, teams engineer their cars to make them difficult to follow closely. They will find a way to get round legislation like new rear wings y adding bits to the bodywork.

A diffuser equalises the pressure behind the car (ie, it speeds the air up again) which creates the vortices that make them difficult to follow. The diffuser and the rear wing work together to create downforce, but the diffuser, as you rightly said, creates suction type downforce that affects the whole car, while the wing puts pressure on the rear wheels. However, neither would work without the other. Some bits on a modern F1 car even create lift.

FACT: After B.A.R. were banned for the use of an 'illegal' fuel tank, 8 of the teams that ATL racing cells supply ordered "An unusually urgent redesign of their fuel cells".

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    I quite like F1 the way it is, it just needs to be explained better (see my thread 'F1' in the racing page)

The whole rear wing thing isn't so much a by-product of the regulations, teams engineer their cars to make them difficult to follow closely. They will find a way to get round legislation like new rear wings y adding bits to the bodywork.

A diffuser equalises the pressure behind the car (ie, it speeds the air up again) which creates the vortices that make them difficult to follow. The diffuser and the rear wing work together to create downforce, but the diffuser, as you rightly said, creates suction type downforce that affects the whole car, while the wing puts pressure on the rear wheels. However, neither would work without the other. Some bits on a modern F1 car even create lift.

FACT: After B.A.R. were banned for the use of an 'illegal' fuel tank, 8 of the teams that ATL racing cells supply ordered "An unusually urgent redesign of their fuel cells".
    diffuser slows down air to normal speed, reduces the vortex behind the car, as that vortex actually creates majority of the drag produced by the car. Teams don't design for the car to be hard to follow, but rather the regulation takes away their ability to follow in the wake of the other car as the front wing got raised higher and higher, their dependence to the clean airflow to enable them acting as an airfoil become more crucial. While with a lower wing it has better ability to make use of the interaction with the ground plane to create ground effect and make downforce that way. And since the post ground effect era of F1, wings are primary source of downforce, the cars are inevitably more draggy and creates more turbulence in its wake...

Intersting points ....

increasing engine size doesn't make it easier to go multi-cylinder. Anyone can make a 1 litre V12 if they had wanted to Just law of diminishing returns. So if you cap the power, there's no real point. Agree though that they shoulnd't mandate V8 - boring Not possibly Bernie trygin to ingratiate F1 with the NASCAR crowd ????

F1 teams HAVE worked on rear air flow to ensure they don't make it "easier" for following cars.

Latest pronouncement on new regs for rear wings is going to extend the wing location out over the rear wheels and clear the area above the body to reduce the control over this exit flow. Aero idea is that it will return a LOT of air for followign front wing to utilise.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

to sum-up : how can we transform F1 in an interesting spectacle?

That's a hard question it seems... They say the big problem is that the sport is too expensive, so, I say take the same route DTM took. DTM was also said to be way too expensive once upon a time, and today it's financially a lot more efficient. Best thing is it's extremely entertaining (at least to me).
    You'd expect that the big-wigs at F1 would've found out a way to do the same, but on so many occasions have they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are utterly incompetent at running F1.

Maybe the solution is what's already happening: GPWC...

Thread Information