Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussions in our forums: are they organized?

Discussions in our forums: are they organized?

i think that our debates/discussions/arguments would be much less nerve-wracking if we had the patience to both express and interpret what we say and read much better

half the battle in a discussion is making sure the other side understands us

i don't even know why i posted this, just my 2 cents

i really want to get in certain discussions but the futilities of my efforts seem soooo discouraging
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Nobody pay attention to him, lets talk politics!

Just kidding man, I agree I've always thought that debating in person is so much better. As nice as it is to be connected by a forum, it's never the same. Typing isn't fast enough, and the subjects always change faster than you can finish a discussion. It always seems to me that everytime I make a point it vanishes into 14 pages and doesn't get touched on again - especially if you actually go to the trouble of typing out anything more than a couple of short sentences. But what does it matter, nobody's reading this anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog

Just kidding man, I agree I've always thought that debating in person is so much better. As nice as it is to be connected by a forum, it's never the same. Typing isn't fast enough, and the subjects always change faster than you can finish a discussion. It always seems to me that everytime I make a point it vanishes into 14 pages and doesn't get touched on again - especially if you actually go to the trouble of typing out anything more than a couple of short sentences. But what does it matter, nobody's reading this anyways

I did!

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Who gave you authority to tell us to talk politics?!? Are you the president!? Wait, I hate both anyway!

Downside D-quik, is if you DO spend the time writing a long explanation two things happen with consequences ...

1 .... it isn't read beyond the first sentence or the first point the reader doesn't accept or comprehend. Consequence -- adds nothing and wastes time

2 .... the point is ignored in follow up posts which DEMONSTRATES that point 1 occurred. Consequences -- annoyance and having to repat it ina different way as reader clearly isnt' comprehending it.

And the largest consequences of both are ???

A) Frustration and annoyance at repeat offenders of points 1 and 2 leads to public reprimand by author in various levels of abuseive language.

B) Author gets lambasted by and has a "rep" amongst those readers exhibiting 1 and/or 2 for being long-winded, "avoiding" answering because it isn't a simple yes/no they can understand.

C) The use of the ignore button ( which gives those exhibiting 1 and/or 2 a feeling of power and "success". Which whilst is nice for them in the short term, really does NOT help them grow as people

D) In future the author decides NOT to contribute and the forum loses an interesting or challenging point of view.

So the "other half" of the "battle" is not so much that an author shodul put MORE effort in to be understood repeatedly but htat readers should learn how to analyse and deconstruct english and logic to SEE what the author is saying. ( A simple trick to do this is the much-promoted "archibald technique" described MANY times before -- simply put when listening/reading someone elses inputs then think 3 POSITIVE points in what is said/written before considering the negative one any further. By repeating at each stage of deconstruction then 99/100 the authors real meaning comes to the fore )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    D) In future the author decides NOT to contribute and the forum loses an interesting or challenging point of view.
    That's clearly it (well at least in my case).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Downside D-quik, is if you DO spend the time writing a long explanation two things happen with consequences ...

1 .... it isn't read beyond the first sentence or the first point the reader doesn't accept or comprehend. Consequence -- adds nothing and wastes time

2 .... the point is ignored in follow up posts which DEMONSTRATES that point 1 occurred. Consequences -- annoyance and having to repat it ina different way as reader clearly isnt' comprehending it.

Guilty of D, not because of UCP but all forums in general in the past. I always read through every response, no matter how many pages. By the time I get done reading everything, the vast majority of the time, someone has already expressed my viewpoint and there's really no point in quoting them and say "That's what I think too." So I usually end up responding to technical mistakes and offtopic banter. If there's none of that, I don't say anything.

Plus so many of these discussions are ridiculously frivolous, it's stubborn people who don't know enough factual knowledge about the subject matter using misguided logic and personal attacks to make people agree with them. No thanks! I like my healthy blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    just my 2 cents
    With all the 2 cents people are giving lately, we could buy a car.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

It always seems to me that everytime I make a point it vanishes into 14 pages and doesn't get touched on again
    ...(blah blah blah useless shit )readers should learn how to analyse and deconstruct english and logic to SEE what the author is saying.
    orgasmic...
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

A) Frustration and annoyance at repeat offenders of points 1 and 2 leads to public reprimand by author in various levels of abuseive language.

B) Author gets lambasted by and has a "rep" amongst those readers exhibiting 1 and/or 2 for being long-winded, "avoiding" answering because it isn't a simple yes/no they can understand.

C) The use of the ignore button ( which gives those exhibiting 1 and/or 2 a feeling of power and "success". Which whilst is nice for them in the short term, really does NOT help them grow as people

So the "other half" of the "battle" is not so much that an author shodul put MORE effort in to be understood repeatedly but htat readers should learn how to analyse and deconstruct english and logic to SEE what the author is saying. ( A simple trick to do this is the much-promoted "archibald technique" described MANY times before -- simply put when listening/reading someone elses inputs then think 3 POSITIVE points in what is said/written before considering the negative one any further. By repeating at each stage of deconstruction then 99/100 the authors real meaning comes to the fore )
    I stopped reading after point 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I stopped reading after point 1.
    class R
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

can u imagine that any users that do not read past the first sentence and any users who do not bother to read other posts with depth will incur a lifetime ban

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    can u imagine that any users that do not read past the first sentence and any users who do not bother to read other posts with depth will incur a lifetime ban
    Punctuation? Noun-verb agreement? Your efforts would be less futile if you demonstrated a solid grasp of your native language.

hahahaha, i almost gave a damn

Do you really think it's funny people can't understand what you're trying to say because your writing style is as organized as two dogs ****ing a styrofoam cooler?

*Edited for grammar.*
    Last edited by PBB; 12-20-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Thread Information