View Poll Results: what would be a better measuring stick for the Cayman

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll

2 25.00%

6 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cayman vs 996

cayman vs 996

how much has porsche progressed in the past few years?
    how would the cayman s stack up against the 996 carrera?

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 993

2005 Porsche Cayman S

which looks better, which performs better, which is better all-around
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

i dont think the cayman was ever a measure of how much they have progressed in 3 years...

BUT the cayman basically beats it in every respect, for way more money. and a 2002 carrera is a 996 not a 993
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

cayman for me. alot sexyer then the 911's.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

This shouldnt be right it should be a 997 vs a Caymen modern porsche vs modern porsche not modern vs 4 years old. If they come out with a caymen GT3 or turbo that would be the car to have. Id really like the 997 over the caymen unless its a gt3 or a turbo caymen.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Porsche themselves are coming very close to making the 911 look bad. The only reason the Cayman S doesn't wipe the floor with the 996 is that Porsche very prudently kept its power down. I don't know if the Cayman can out do it big brother on twisty tarmac, with its power deficit though?

The Cayman is growing on me but the 996 still beats it in looks.

The Cayman S will triumph in handling. Mid-engined vs. rear-engined.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Porsche themselves are coming very close to making the 911 look bad. The only reason the Cayman S doesn't wipe the floor with the 996 is that Porsche very prudently kept its power down. I don't know if the Cayman can out do it big brother on twisty tarmac, with its power deficit though?

The Cayman is growing on me but the 996 still beats it in looks.

The Cayman S will triumph in handling. Mid-engined vs. rear-engined.
    In addition, I've heard that Porsche woudn't fit a LSD to the Cayman because if they did it'd beat the 911 through the twisties.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

In general the Cayman is the better car. I believe it would take the 911 in the corners and challenge it on the straights. Personally I prefer the looks of the 911 (though both don't impress me hugely) as the Cayman looks like a bit of a dogs dinner. Although I don't think I'm qualified to comment on how fun each car is, I have been in a 911 and the formula of the rear engine is different and thus gives the driver a fairly unique experience which I don't believe a Cayman could offer. This is only theoretical though. However, the more refined car is the Cayman and because of this, would probably be the better drivers car in general as it's less of a rough diamond than the 911. My experience with 911s is minimal apart from the information I picked up in the various times I've been in my friend's Mum's 996 Carrera 4. I would never buy a 996 myself though ... it didn't seem challenging enough. The only one I would consider is a 993 or I'd get myself a real challenge and buy a 912

does ne1 think the 993 would be a better match up for the Cayman ill add a poll and might change the thread
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

I don't know if any of you guys read this, but one of the major magazines I read stated that when the porsche test driver, Walther Rohl tested the two on the Nurburgring, the Cayman beat the 997 by 3 seconds. I belive that the 997 is a great carwith a lot of thrills, (we own a 997 C4S) but i belive that if you want to put a HUGE smile on your face, the Cayman is a better car. Cheaper, Laterally Bettter, and Great Acceleration.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    watch this movie, in it the guy states the most import aspect, they held the cayman back, and i think that's retarded, you should make a car to be amazing, not to sell it to some bloke who doesn't want to dish out as much as a carrera and has more cash then for a boxster.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...op+gear+cayman
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

i will always love a 911. dun care what.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I agree completely with what Clarkson said. I couldn't bare knowing that it coulda been awesome, and that if a bought a Boxster S and dropped the price difference for the cayman into the engine, I'd have a better quicker car. And also knowing that the only people who would be interested in it, car nuts (because its so hideous no one else would care), would know it too

If I were to buy a Porsche it would certainly be the Cockster. The reasons are simple. Much cheaper than the 911, and near identical performance. The speed difference is really meaningless in traffic. And it's not like I would take my care to trackdays. It would be a daily driver. Looks more..."original". With the money you save on the price you could probably fit it with an LSD and some engine upgrades by a 3rd party . Oh and it has much more/more practical luggage space.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    watch this movie, in it the guy states the most import aspect, they held the cayman back, and i think that's retarded, you should make a car to be amazing, not to sell it to some bloke who doesn't want to dish out as much as a carrera and has more cash then for a boxster.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...op+gear+cayman
    This is much the same as the Ford, Aston and Jaguar situation, Ford are ensuring the new Jags all stay within lower "price brackets" than the Astons...I'd like to see Jaguar go for it again and produce something a bit more special than the new XK, a cheaper Aston for people that can't/don't want to pay out that much. I fear that never again are we going to see an E-Type or XJ220.
    Last edited by Clivey; 01-31-2006 at 05:27 AM.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

993 turbo is awesome
    the cayman is a closed boxster

Thread Information