Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: v8 supercars

i think everyone in a VY now is running a Holden Motorsport engine. I know he was holding off to switch so that the team could get rid of all the niggles in the Car that everyone, especially Steven Richards were experiencing. But yes it certainly does add another element to his struggle.

Well i guess we should just be thankful that Skaife only got damage to the front of his car. Had something of happened like last year between Dumbrell and Morris and there would be alot of angry faces on the TEGA board, just coming away from the Skaife/Ingall incident and for sure Skaife wouldn't have stayed quiet about such a thing
    I am the Stig

Im just not sure wether he has or not...well we didnt see no AUs or anything...maybey they finallyhave phased them out and asa by product thats why we didnt see no Mr thexton puttering along in his #99

well next year they cant use the AU's full stop. Thexton might not of had his at the AGP because of the cost and it was more wirthwile just to get it ready for clipsal, unless he's pulled a Paul Romano
    I am the Stig

Just a small question:

What was the most recent "Best Lap Time" round Bathurst for a V8 Supercar ?
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

about 2:06.8 in shootout trim, (Greg Murphy, 2003 VY Commodore). In race trim though i think at best they get around high 2:08's, Brad Jones used to hold the race record and it was a 2:09 but Skaife and Murphy easily cleared that last year
    I am the Stig

Well with some reaserch weprobly couldfind out the times of the old improved tourers of the 60s and 70s and compare them to the v8s....i think well be suprised.

well i havent been able to find any lap times, but i found some best finish times for both the old and new circuit

Fastest finish on the new track was 6:19:14.80 in a Skyline GTR

Fastest finish on the old track was 6:23:13.06 in a VK Commodore

These were all pre-2003 as well and i think Greg Murphy finished around the 6:30:00 mark last year
    I am the Stig

That time you had for the skyline was the red flagged race...they still had near 30 laps to go i think.

well was it the 91 or the 92 race that they got red flagged. i always thought it was the 92 race but that times from the 91 race
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    well was it the 91 or the 92 race that they got red flagged. i always thought it was the 92 race but that times from the 91 race

It was the 91 race that the race time was set and it went full distance. 92 was red flagged. The 91 race was the last time Bathurst went full distance without any pace car period though, so its a little unfair to compare that race time with recent races that were interrupted repeatedly by pace car periods.

Talking old Bathurst laps.. The first 100 mph average speed (2m 16s) lap by a touring car around the pre Caltex Chase circuit was set by Alan Grice in a VH Commodore in 82. Allowing for the fact the Caltex Chase adds about 4 seconds to a lap then the current V8 Supercars are a full 13 seconds a lap faster than the 82 Commodores were.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 03-13-2004 at 06:22 AM. Reason: to add amendment

Well shit in 72 allan moffat blizted the track record in his trans am mustang by doing a 2.22.4 so you can see how technology has increased...ipersonally think he could of gone faster but he had oil all over his windshield and undone his seat belt and parked his arse on the side of his race seat so he could see out of the damn thing!....CAMS would be haveing kittens if anybody did that nowdays.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    It was the 91 race that the race time was set and it went full distance. 92 was red flagged. The 91 race was the last time Bathurst went full distance without any pace car period though, so its a little unfair to compare that race time with recent races that were interrupted repeatedly by pace car periods.

i think its completely fair if you want to try figure out the approximate lap times based on total time.

you could ask any driver after theyve gotten out of the car at bathurst and they'll more than likely tell you 10 different places where they could get more speed, shit even murphy done it last year after the shootout. its all because of how touchy they have to be on the brakes and accelerator coming down the mountain. just that little bit too much speed and the tyres dont have enough grip to keep them of the walls through the twisty bits
    I am the Stig

Well A good can always pick apart their perfomances saying i could of breaked later....i bodged that shift a bit and so on and so forth...and dont forget in long races like this (bathurst) pit stops play a big role in how the times go and rember pit stops while well rehersed where alot more relaxed for examplein 86 in djs mustang they had a "blistering" 30 second stop.

yeah as you go back in the years you go back to the 5 stud wheel patterns, heavier rattle guns and the fuel going in slower.....maybe even a slower pit lane speed
    I am the Stig

Thread Information