Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Diary: JACKPOT

Dear Diary: JACKPOT

Alright so I just got an email back from Dave of the SCCA, and he says there are no age limitations anymore for pro/club rally in the USA.

He also says any mopar/chrysler or AMC engine will do, so long as it's under 5.1 L with a multiplier of .8 . That gives me about 389 cubic inches to play with.

Any suggestions for a v8 that's small in size and big in power? I had my eye on a Dodge 325 hemi...just so i could say Hemi...but they're big in size and weight. Remember, it's gotta go under the eagle hood.

I think i found my next car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Awesome! You're planning on going rallying with an old-school 4WD Eagle?

plans and actuality are often far from each other....

what I plan on doing is an IRS swap, a Hemi or other mopar engine swap, 5 or six speed tranny, rebuilt NP 249 Tcase with 48/52 power transfer with a viscous coupler, full roll cage, racing seats, hydraulic E-brake, bias controller, paint, maybe new a-arms and coil overs for the front....etc. etc.

BUT...it's a car I can drive and build....and that yellow one is on ebay for 500 bucks....near my area.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Ford 305ci I like it
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Go for it unique cars are by far the best cars to have. +1 for coolness
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

do you mean the 302? I think the 305 is less common and less powerful. And unfortunately, it has to be a MOPAR (Chrysler, Dodge, AMC, Jeep) to be legal.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    do you mean the 302? I think the 305 is less common and less powerful. And unfortunately, it has to be a MOPAR (Chrysler, Dodge, AMC, Jeep) to be legal.
    "Unfortunately" ??? Bite yer tongue !!!

Chrysler small blocks are great engines, in some respects better than Ford and Chevy small blocks, IE: all Chrysler small blocks (273,318,340 & 360) have larger main bearings than Chevy, except of course the 350 4 bolt main blocks, Chrysler never made a 4 bolt main block (aside from the 426 Hemi) - they didn't need to. Smaller valves and ports on the heads meant bigger results from less camshaft, they relied more on port velocity than volume ... anyways I could ramble on and on.

I had a 360 Duster, it had a '76 4 bbl block, "J" casting heads (larger ports and small valves 1.88" intake 1.60" exhaust) 5 angle valve job with heavier valve springs. I ran a small hydraulic cam (.484" lift and 284* duration) a Edelbrock Performer (dual plenum) intake with a Holley 650cfm square bore carb (vacuum secondaries). This combination was very driveable, fairly economical (when you kept your right foot out of it ) and yielded somewhere between 300 and 330hp (I'm guessing ... used to make 5.0 Mustangs look really slow tho).

My advice would be to find a 360 block, doesn't matter what year a 2 bbl engine does not have the dished pistons (low compression) that the 4bbl had, which means higher compression, but for a relatively cheap compression fix, invest in propane pistons they'll bring the compression ratio up near 9.5:1. and pretty much build up as my engine was, it should be cheap to build, easy to find parts for and near bulletproof.

I almost forgot ... did you want to go fuel injection? If so your best bet would be to scan the wrecking yards for a 318 out of a Dakota or Ram ... take the tranny and all electronics with it, should be quite good for what you're looking to do.

Most important thing is to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    "Unfortunately" ??? Bite yer tongue !!!

I didn't mean unfortunately it has to be a Mopar....but fords are pretty commonplace, and so are chevy's, but they are both out.

How about a Chrysler 354 Hemi? Aluminum heads etc...could be pricey but power output would be pretty high, eh? Would it fit? Would it weigh way too much?

The eagle itself weighs about 100 lbs more than an STI, with the straigh six.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

My neighbour (the one I got the 914 from, actually) is constantly working of his early 70s AMX Javelin. He says that if you can find one, the 304 has a lot of untapped potential!

Good luck with parts though, unless you can find others that are compatible

I honestly didn't know they made aluminum heads ... or any other performance parts for the 354. The first Hemi that really mattered was the 392 from the same era as the 354 (late '50's). They are also quite heavy around 750lbs dry, compare that to a small block Chev @ 575lbs, Ford small block @ 500lbs and a Mopar small block at 550lbs (Engine weights) availability of parts would also wage against it. Hardly worth the bragging rights of having a Hemi under the hood.

bee eye en gee OH!

Specfications (in the 2003 Ram 2500)Type and Description: Eight cylinders, 90° V-type, liquid-cooled
    Valve System: Pushrod-operated overhead valves, 16 valves, hydraulic lifters with roller followers
    Fuel Injection: Sequential, multi-port, electronic, returnless
    Construction: Deep-skirt cast iron block with cross-bolted main bearing caps, aluminum alloy heads with hemispherical combustion chambers
    Compression Ratio: 9.6:1

Revised specifications - note greater power!Specifications are for the engine in the 2500 trucks.

Power (SAE net): 345 bhp (257 kW) @ 5,400 rpm
    Torque (SAE Net): 375 lb.-ft. (508 Nom) @ 4,200 rpm

Displacement 354 cu. in (5,654 cu. cm)
    Bore x stroke 3.92 x 3.58 (99.5 x 90.9)
    Valve system Pushrod-operated overhead valves, 16 valves, hydraulic lifters with roller followers
    Fuel injection Sequential, multi-port, electronic, returnless
    Construction Deep-skirt cast iron block with cross-bolted main bearing caps. Aluminum alloy heads with hemispherical combustion chambers
    Max. engine speed 5,800 rpm
    Fuel requirement Unleaded mid-grade, 89 octane (R+M)/2 - recommended, Unleaded regular, 87 octane (R+M)/2 - acceptable

Oil capacity 7 qt. (6.6L)
    Coolant capacity 18.7 qt. (17.7L)
    Engine Weight 590 lbs.
    Width 27”

Lenght 26” (Balancer to Bell Housing)
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

OK, I'm a dumbass !!!

I was thinking of the old 354, didn't even consider the new 5.7 Hemi, thought it might be out of your budget. Therefore, if you can afford it, it would definitely be the choice engine !!

Nonono, i was talking about the old hemi...then I stumbled upon the new one, which is smaller lighter more powerful etc. Complete, it should weigh 85 lbs more than the original engine. 345 HP stock, with head mods and a cold air intake, maybe a performance chip...could clock to 400 easy....we'll see if it's within budget, i've seen a few around 3 but I need a new tranny and tcase....

now will it fit under the hood?
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Check This Out

MWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA MUAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

390 v8, full roll cage, automatic with a stock t-case, so I need a new one of those...and it's 3300....I'm so there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    MWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA MUAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

390 v8, full roll cage, automatic with a stock t-case, so I need a new one of those...and it's 3300....I'm so there.
    where are you going to buy all of this? another question i had was if you would also buy some rally tires for it?

Thread Information