Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficient F1s????????

Fuel efficient F1s????????

FIA president Max Mosley has been holding a series of press lunches this week providing those in attendance and fans of Formula One with plenty of food for thought. Speaking to the Italian media he waxed lyrical on such topics as the Manufacturers, cost saving, and 2008 regulation changes. Two suggestions in particular stood out though.

The first is that Formula One should adopt a system of promotion and relegation between itself and GP2, along the lines that are already used in football.

Quite simply, the lowest scoring team or teams at the end of each F1 season would swap places with the best GP2 teams, the idea being to "generate more interest in the sport."

Mosley admitted however that the costs involved in Formula One would have to be cut significantly to enable smaller teams to make the step up.

At the same time, Mosley has also revealed that the FIA are considering a revolutionary new format for 2011 and beyond. This would no longer mandate cubic capacity of the engines, instead a free-for-all formula would be introduced, with teams simply given a specific allowance of fuel for each grand prix race weekend and being left to their own devices to come up with a power unit that combined sufficient horsepower with the best fuel economy.

First the R10 now this .. I personally think that although ppl might find this stupid and think that it will damage the sport, it will benefit all of us having powerful cars with friendly engines to the pocket.
    "In UCP I TRUST".

It didn't damage Le Mans when they used to run the "coefficient of index".
    Arguably it produced some of the most interesting cars and class wins and undoubtedly advanced aerodynamics considerably - even showed them the dangers of flipping on the straights liek the Mulsannes 20 years before Porsche/Mercedes et al were at it

it's nothing new

Is it good/right for F1 ? Well it already exists in a sense by having a limited fuel tank. Not sure I'd want to see it go as far as the ideas raised. BUT lets remember that all they are doing is the normal rounds of throwing some crazy ideas into the ring and have folks talking about them !! It won't be long till it will be equivalnecy for hybrids and electrics

If it opens up the F1 designers FREE to do different engiens it will be awesoem . Thre are dozens of clever engine designs out there that woudl benefit from the exposure F1 wouldgive !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

exactly my point, like that new lexus .. i think its the the new ES ..excellent performance from a hybrid engine .. i think 0 to 60 takes just 5 seconds or less , dont recall .. giving away mid 30s mpg.
    "In UCP I TRUST".

Quote Originally Posted by dimlight
    exactly my point, like that new lexus .. i think its the the new ES ..excellent performance from a hybrid engine .. i think 0 to 60 takes just 5 seconds or less , dont recall .. giving away mid 30s mpg.
    heee-heee I wasn't thinking current hybrids. The idea of trying to corner at speed with a truck load of batteries
    At least there wouldn't be any issues with cars being underweight ---- unless Ferrari come up with a new space age chassis material with negative mass
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The whole economy idea would depend on how much fuel they get, if they get less than they use now I doubt we'll see any 79 litre H-24s etc.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    The whole economy idea would depend on how much fuel they get, if they get less than they use now I doubt we'll see any 79 litre H-24s etc.
    Yeah but how about a Revetec or a Sarich orbital rotary .... maybe even a French V12 or an Italian flat-12 would be possible ( drool )

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Yeah but how about a Revetec or a Sarich orbital rotary .... maybe even a French V12 or an Italian flat-12 would be possible ( drool )
    Aahhh I love the sound of a Revetec Especially the one in the Radical SR8 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Aahhh I love the sound of a Revetec Especially the one in the Radical SR8 Turbo
    That's POWERTEC http://www.radicalextremesportscars..../indexspec.php it's really just an ultra light V8, nothing too special

Revetec is the neat new Aussie designed engine ....

http://www.revetec.com/?q=videos

That's POWERTEC http://www.radicalextremesportscars..../indexspec.php it's really just an ultra light V8, nothing too special
    http://www.revetec.com/?q=videos
    Oh okay. I got a bit confused since their names are so much the same

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Oh okay. I got a bit confused since their names are so much the same
    I keep confuseing the revEtec with Revtec who build engines for Harleys !!!!!

So they are an evolution of rotary engines then?

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    So they are an evolution of rotary engines then?
    Best tif you read their web site

Is it an evolution of a rotory by having movable pistons or is it an extension of a normal one by having lobed crankshaft.
    it kind of gets best of both

Go to their web it's all clear with animatiosn and descriptoins

Why not have diesel in F1?

It is supposed to be the most technologically advanced formula, and If diesel is the current fuel of choice, why should that not be reflected?

I don't see how that fits in with the cost-cutting measures though.

I can see F1 manufacturers using tarted up GP2 chassis with slightly tuned VAG 2.0-litre TDi engines at this rate...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I can see F1 manufacturers using tarted up GP2 chassis with slightly tuned VAG 2.0-litre TDi engines at this rate...
    and WHY woudl that be wrong if they were competitive ?
    My recent posting on the Matra open wheelers and Pieter reminded me that in the 60s there were a few tracks where F1 and F2 shared the grid. In some cases the F2s ended up in the top 6. ( I still want to find out how many and how high, but too busy )

SO, IF they are competitive why not ? You could imagine a team chosing to build a hybrid capable of running under both regs, with a feeder team in GP2.

and WHY woudl that be wrong if they were competitive ?
    It really depends on what F1 should be.

At the moment it has a lot of money to it.

The teams spend huge ammounts on building cars, and get huge levels of sponsorship, and this all gets huge ammounts of coverage from the media.

If you slash budgets to just above GP2, F1 isn't really the "ultimate" motorsport anymore, and I'd think that sponsors and interest from the mainstream media would tail off.

Think about why currently F1 gets so much more attention than any other form of motorsport - it isn't because the cars are competative, its because it's a rich boy's playground and Bernie can bring along all his billionaire friends along.

So you've got F1 that's interesting to watch, but on the "obscure sports network" and like everything else motorsport related will be rescheduled if there is a particularly interesting tiddly-winks match on at the same time.

I think that F1 should have a way of allowing more teams into the sport that doesn't cut budgets.

More TV money going to teams for example.

This way the teams can continue to be at the forefront of technology.

With a complete overhaul of the rules cars could stop being nearly identical, and should also be competative, and F1 can continue to be sufficiently "glamarous".

Having cars with GP2 chassis and low powered engines already exists anyway - its called "GP2".

Why bother making F1 the same?

True, the racing is more interesting, but coverage is shit, quite frankly.

30 mins on a Saturday afternoon to cover a whole w/e racing - because it doesn't have the allure of big money to it.

All of Max's current proposals could be implemented by just axing F1 and renaming GP2.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information