Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 429 Mercury Marauder?

429 Mercury Marauder?

Well, were do I start. My father purchased a Mercury Marauder a few years ago for my mother as a daily driving car. At the time, he thought it was a good car choice for my mother. As two years progressed, she developed a dislike for the car. So my father sold his car, got my mother a new car, and kept the Marauder because it is now a discontinued model. The warranty on the Marauder is close to being up, so he said he might want to change up the motor. I called him crazy for entertaining the idea of chopping a mint limited edition car.
    As much as I hated the idea of gutting a new car, the wheels in my head started turning when I came across a website with a Modular 6.8 V-10 Crown Vic. I thought it was an awesome idea to swap a 415 cu. in. motor into a Vic. I did some more research into the subject and it turns out that Mercury made a Marauder during the '60's called the badged X-100 that was powered by a big block 429.
    Then it hit me, take a Triton 6.8 and bore/stroke it out to 429 cu. in. and bolt it to the 4R100 in the Marauder. The result would be the new X-100. It would have gobs more low end torque than that crappy DOHC 4.6 V-8 and it would be nostalgic. This swap does however cause 4 main problems, they are:

1) The electronics nightmare of two more cylinders on a Ford
    ECU. Maybe I can just use a Truck ECU, much work.

2) Brake master cylinder interference on the left bank from increased deck
    height.

3) How much torque can the stock 4R100 take? (my father suggested
    rebuilding the 429 to 500 hp & 500 lbs ft.)

4) Cooling. Should I go with the 6.8 radiator for increased
    cooling?

I think that there will be many more problems on this swap that I do not know about already. There will probably be dozens of little problems my father and I will have to deal with. Anyway, I would like your guys input about this swap. Tell me what you think.

That's definitely a wild idea, but it could turn out very nicely with some effort. You will want to look at how much all that would cost. Also you might want to upgrade the brakes to have better stopping power from higher speeds. It would make a really sweet sleeper car too.

I think the brakes are only 1 of possibly 10 things that would need upgrading for that
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    I think the brakes are only 1 of possibly 10 things that would need upgrading for that
    That's very true but if he wants just a drag car then he won't need to do many suspension upgrades or things for handling.

Why dont you just put a turbo on your car? That engines good for some serious horsepower.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Why dont you just put a turbo on your car? That engines good for some serious horsepower.
    No need to put a turbo on a big-block V-8.
    Just a good cam and carb and dual exhaust will put the power output (as directinjection said) to around 500 hp.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

I think you missed the point, rev440 suggested the turbo on the stock 4.6 not the engine directinjection wants to put in
    I am the Stig

I think you missed the point, rev440 suggested the turbo on the stock 4.6 not the engine directinjection wants to put in
    Yes theres many turbo 4.6 pushing 1000hp with some boost and forged internals.

Oh, I just took a guess and thought he meant the engine he wants to put in.

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Yes theres many turbo 4.6 pushing 1000hp with some boost and forged internals.
    It would impractical for the street. With that much stress, that engine wouldn't last nowhere near as long as a mildly modified big block.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 02-19-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Youve well documented how long an understressed big block will last, so i think its easy to say getting less mileage than that wont be an issue.

Anyone with such a high performance car should be accepting of the ongoing repair and maintenance costs. Being a large displacement engine, im sure reaching 1000hp in comparison with other products would only give minor issues compared with other Japanese products pushing similar figures
    I am the Stig

I really like the idea you guys have for a stock turbo motor, it would be a lot less costly. A relitively light amount of boost, 9 psi, would give 500 hp & 500 lbs. ft. and still have great fuel mileage. The only thing is that the car still wouldn't come into boost until 3,500 to 4,000 rpm(single turbo). Plus, turbo whine would give away game, although, the huge twin tailpipes from a 429 V-10 are not exactly subtle either. Maybe, instead of the 429 or turbos, I could go with Kenne Twin screw supercharger. That would give tons a low speed torque with high speed horsepower. What do you guys think?

A KB causes alot more stress then a simple turbo but im an old school guy so id say kb. How much horse are you aiming for?

Well, about 500 hp & 500 lbs. ft. at the crank. With the KB, that would require 11-12 psi w/ an intercooler, well passed the limits of pump gas w/ the marauders high compression. This would warrant the necessity for lower compression pistons(8.5) from the Cobra i.e. a rebuild.
    The 6.8 V-10 already has a forged crank and if I add Cobra rods and over bore pistons the 429 displacement would be there. I would have to have the crank machined to a 4.210 stroke and get a .050 overbore to 3.602 inches. I'm thinking a compression of 10 to 10.5 would most likely be the best for pump gas on a 2 valve motor producing 500 hp.
    My mission right now is to find a decent used 6.8 motor for rebuild. I saw a new 6.8 taken out of a truck for $6,000, I will keep looking.

the maruder stock is slower than a Honda Accord
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information