Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: srt models vs other american performance models

srt models vs other american performance models

I will probly get flamed for posting this, but I was wondering if any of you had info comparing the chrysler str models vs other american performance car models like the vette, camero, mustang, or even forighn cars in the same weight and class categorys. I was just looking for general info 0-60 times, slalom, 60-0 brake times, quarter mile times etc.

I am just curios to see where they actually stack up. As some of you probly know I have recently purchased the jeep grand cherokee srt8, and am very happy with it, and of course have been flamed for lol. I am not intersted in off road capability, cargo area, or anyhting like that, just actual road course performance, and perhaps track performance. I dont plan to go off road, or to take mine to the track. I am just curious as to where the srt models actually stack up.

for instance I know that currently the srt8 has the fastest 0-60 for an suv, and that it beats the porche cyanne in 60-0 braking. I have not been able to find anything on its slalom times or other performance. I figured I might aswell include the other srt models aswell. Surely car and driver or someone similar have looked int the matter. anyone have any info?...freak

Quote Originally Posted by Geneticfreak
    I will probly get flamed for posting this, but I was wondering if any of you had info comparing the chrysler str models vs other american performance car models like the vette, camero, mustang, or even forighn cars in the same weight and class categorys. I was just looking for general info 0-60 times, slalom, 60-0 brake times, quarter mile times etc.

I am just curios to see where they actually stack up. As some of you probly know I have recently purchased the jeep grand cherokee srt8, and am very happy with it, and of course have been flamed for lol. I am not intersted in off road capability, cargo area, or anyhting like that, just actual road course performance, and perhaps track performance. I dont plan to go off road, or to take mine to the track. I am just curious as to where the srt models actually stack up.

for instance I know that currently the srt8 has the fastest 0-60 for an suv, and that it beats the porche cyanne in 60-0 braking. I have not been able to find anything on its slalom times or other performance. I figured I might aswell include the other srt models aswell. Surely car and driver or someone similar have looked int the matter. anyone have any info?...freak
    You bought a GCSRT-8 and you're not taking it offroad?! Nevermind, I won't get involved. The Srt cars stand up well in acceleration, economy, and luxury categories, but afaik, their handling isn't as good as their european/japanese counterparts. The Chrysler SRT team is the best America has to offer imo, next to the Corvette and Ford GT.

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    I really don't think it was meant to go off road. It's lower and doesn't have more off-road equipment. They really should build two, and on and off road version.
    .....likes NASCAR

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    You bought a GCSRT-8 and you're not taking it offroad?! Nevermind, I won't get involved. The Srt cars stand up well in acceleration, economy, and luxury categories, but afaik, their handling isn't as good as their european/japanese counterparts. The Chrysler SRT team is the best America has to offer imo, next to the Corvette and Ford GT.
    I agree with you in everything except that the SRT team is the best America has to offer. The Cadillac V-Series are very excellent cars. The CTS-V has one of those oooh what do you call them...manual transmissions instead of the automatics of the SRT's. The SRT's are real nice too but I like the V-Series better. They look nicer, have better interiors, are just as fast, and handle very well.

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    I agree with you in everything except that the SRT team is the best America has to offer. The Cadillac V-Series are very excellent cars. The CTS-V has one of those oooh what do you call them...manual transmissions instead of the automatics of the SRT's. The SRT's are real nice too but I like the V-Series better. They look nicer, have better interiors, are just as fast, and handle very well.
    You're right, I forgot about them. the V series > SRT, but only by a small margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    You're right, I forgot about them. the V series > SRT, but only by a small margin.
    Yea but then again they aren't direct competitors because Cadillac is more upscale. What I would really like to see is Chevy to get that rear drive platform and that will get the SS models to be truly comparable to the SRT models and they are direct competitors.

who needs a Grand Cherokee SRT8 when theres the good ol' Range Rover Sport???? it's better looking and is much more refined and it will destroy the GC off road
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

You would take a Range Rover off road? They are abit too expensive for that.

Don't forget about SVT.
    I guess that Chevy's performance letters are SS, not really a division or what ever, they aren't like the V for Caddy or the M for Beemer, then there's AMG
    and what's audi's again?
    Some good comparsisons will come in the near future
    Shelby Mustang VS SRT-8 Challenger VS M6
    coupe battle of death
    Last edited by Schmallz; 02-28-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    The best thing to do in a car short of sex is to go faster than everyone else on the road.

life is short,
    PARTY NAKED!

If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstopable!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmallz
    Don't forget about SVT.
    I guess that Chevy's performance letters are SS, not really a division or what ever, they aren't like the V for Caddy or the M for Beemer, then there's AMG
    and what's audi's again?
    coupe battle of death
    Audi's badging for their performance cars is S or RS, as in RS4, S6, S8, etc... The M6 would completely outclass the other two in your comparison as it's in a totally different class than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmallz
    Don't forget about SVT.
    and what's audi's again?
    coupe battle of death
    thats not a fair fight, replace the m6 with a camaro ss, then youll have a real muscle car battle.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

and of course have been flamed for lol.
    Liar.

If you did get "flamed" it is for your preposterous notion that:

I am intersted in actual road course performance, and perhaps track performance.
    And yet you bought something with a "Jeep" badge on the front.

If you really cared about road course performance you'd have a lower spec SUV for carting your family about, and a cheap 2nd hand sports car both for the same money as you paid for your SRT Cherokee...
    Thanks for all the fish

But dey iz not pimpin mofo.

etc.

Well truth of the matter is that I dont really drive off road, I drive in some pretty bad road conditions as far as snow, but very rarely go off road. It does bug me that the fron fasia is so low to the ground, which will deffinately prevent me from driving in snow thats very deep. Everything else it has to offer though I feel just about makes up for it.

I dont tow much, so basically I drive an suv for the room, and the ability to drive on roads with alot of snow on them. I also drive suv's because other then pick up trucks you cant get a very decent rear wheel drive car here in the states. The ameican market is really limited, and one dimensional. you can drive a big fast car that doesnt have much room inside, or you can drive a luxury sedan that doesnt handle well, and isnt that fast, but has a luxury type interior, or you can drive a big slow truck or suv. unless you go up to an escalade of course, and even the escalades are slow, and dont handle well.

I really thiink jeep hit it on the head with the srt8 cherokee. Its an suv, and has the tall stance of an suv, the interior is everything that most luxury sedans are, and it has the performance of most american muscle cars like the camaro's or mustangs. its not as fast as a vette or a gt by any means, but one must keep in mind that its an suv, and there are limits to how practicaly fast you can make an suv. I think its an all around good mix of everything I want from a car/truck. Once you take price into consideration then it seems like an even better deal.

I honestly dont konw that there is another vehicle around starting at 40k that has what the srt9GC has. Leather interior, 20" wheels, and great acceleration and power, along with insane breaking for an suv. Sure it probly doesnt go threw the curves, and corner up to par with performance cars, but its an suv.

its not a sports car, or a super car by any means, its an suv. Its tall, and it weighs alot, so to expect it to perform exactly like other sports cars, or super cars just isnt a fair comparison. I dont think that jeep had any intentions of compeating with such cars. I think they rather wanted to make a much more sporty suv. 90% of suv owners dont take their vehicle off road anyway, so why not put a more street agressive suv on the market. sadly they did have to sacrafice alot of offroad ability. I would like to see them make an srt8 cherokee that was alittle more trail friendly, but had atleast comparable street agression. other then that I feel its a well ballanced vehicle. That or I would like to see them take it to the other extreme and make a twin turbo verssion lol. get those 0-60 times down to the mid to lower 4 seccond range. That would more then make up for its lack of off road ability. I still like it enough that I bought one though.

I do have a cheaper less expensive sports car. its actually a motor cycle lol, but it serves the purpose weather permitting. its 0-60 times are more comparable to the supercars, and top line sports cars, and probly handles better, besides the problem of not having the protection around you that you do with a car lol.

I do think though the fact that it can even approach the same performance levels of some cars shows that it is a very high performance suv, although it is still an suv, and isnt meant to be classified with with the super cars, or top of the line sports cars...freak

its not a sports car, or a super car by any means, its an suv. Its tall, and it weighs alot, so to expect it to perform exactly like other sports cars, or super cars just isnt a fair comparison.
    it has the performance of most american muscle cars like the camaro's or mustangs.
    Does it have the performance of a sports car, or is it incomparable to a sports car?
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information