Thread: 599 E/E Systems and MagneRide

599 E/E Systems and MagneRide

My dad gave me this last night:

Maranello, Italy-Delphi Packard is once again playing a major role in another highly anticipated Ferrari launch, providing its electrical/electronic (E/E) systems technology for the all-new 599 GTB Fiorano.
    Making its global debut Tuesday at the just-underway Geneva Motor Show, the 599 GTB Fiorano is ticketed as the successor to the highly acclaimed 575 Maranello. It sports Ferrari's most powerful V-12 engine production to date, part of a package that the Italian automaker says combines the most innovative and technologically advanced features ever applied to a front/mid-engine two-seater vehicle.
    Delphi is playing a part in that, providing not only the vehicle's E/E system (including electrical centers), but also the complete climate control system and MagneRide controlled suspension technology for the luxury touring vehicle. For Delphi Packard, it begins another chapter in a relationship that dates back to the early 1990s.
    "For many years Ferrari has collaborated with Delphi in developing and co-designing the most robust E/E systems and components, and similar to the previous programs on which we've worked together, the technology for the 599 Fiorano meets the customer's very high performance and quality demands," said Stefaan Vandevelde, managing director of European operations for Delphi Packard Electric. He noted that the 599 marked the introduction of CAD CATIA design system usage between Delphi and Ferrari.
    I had no idea that Delphi helped Ferrari make their cars. Does anyone know what Delphi have helped make in the past?

I will post the rest of the article after soccer practice.

The rest:

"This allowed us the use of 3D virtual layout and brought advanced technical advantages and greater cost effectiveness, with the evaluation of different options best optimized for the vehicle's architecture before the availability of the prototypes." Delphi Packard's approach to the new 599 GTB's E/E architecture resulted in several unique design characteristics. For example, the electrical centers designed and produced by Delphi have been positioned in the cockpit, due to the lack of available space under the hood, taken up completely by Ferrari's powerful 12-cylinder, 6000cc engine. Additionally, a new system was employed in the door-to-body electric connection to manage the side airbag function. "A high-performance vehicle demands the latest technology," said Volker Barth, president, Delphi Europe. "Delphi is proud to be supplying Ferrari with some of our most innovative products. Our goal is to help enhance the driving experience for Ferrari drivers. They want a ride-and-handling performance without compromise, and they want to be surrounded in a comfortable environment in the cockpit. Our technologies help contribute toward these characteristics." Delphi has been supplying climate control technology to Ferrari since 1992, and is responsible for the climate control systems on all of Ferrari's current model programs. To meet the challenging comfort demands of this luxury sports car, Delphi engineers worked closely with Ferrari to co-design the 599 Fiorano's climate control system. Production of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) module for the 599 began last month. Delphi has made significant improvements for the new 599 dual-zone climate control system. It is managed by an electronic control unit and receives and processes data on external and internal temperature through newly enhanced software and a solar load sensor. Noteworthy system components include a carbon anti-pollution and anti-particle filter and a compact variable displacement compressor (7CVC) modified to meet the car's high performance needs. "Once again, Ferrari has put its confidence in Delphi and our Molinella, Italy, facility for their latest vehicle launch," said Steven Kiefer, managing director, Delphi Thermal & Interior, Europe and South America. "Ferrari represents the highest standard in the sports car segment in terms of performance, quality, sophistication, and prestige. Delphi is proud of our long-standing relationship with Ferrari, and we share their passion and commitment to excellence Ferrari owners have come to expect." The Ferrari 599 Fiorano's use of Delphi's revolutionary MagneRide Controlled Suspension System, helps capture the "gran turismo" feeling of Ferrari's legendary vehicles. Using patented shock absorbers filled with a proprietary controllable fluid, the MagneRide system offers increased damping tuning capability and speed of response over valve-based controlled suspension systems. This means better transient handling--both for turn-in and yaw stability--and superior road isolation that will result in increased driver comfort. Drivers will also experience a more precise steering feel and control of the vehicle even at top speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    My dad gave me this last night:

I had no idea that Delphi helped Ferrari make their cars. Does anyone know what Delphi have helped make in the past?

I will post the rest of the article after soccer practice.
    they helped GM with their tech stuff.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    they helped GM with their tech stuff.
    I meant what have they done in the past for Ferrari. My dad works at Delphi and I had no idea they did anything for Ferrari. I know they do stuff for most of the normal American companies and they used to do stuff mostly for GM before GM spun them off.

Thread Information