Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My E30

My E30

Hello,

This is my current E30, I got the car when I was 17 and I'm planning to keep it the rest of my live...

The car is on the roads since 03/1984, it came out of the factory in probably '83 (will look this up by the chassis number) so it's a quit old E30. But I like it old school. When I got the car, she was 19years old and had only run 89037km. Now, on age 22, there are 108053km on it and counting.

It is a 316, that means it has a M10 eninge with a carburettor (if this is the wright word). It's a 1.8liter 4cilinder with 2valves per cilinder. It is the lightest version of the E30, but due to high ensurance policies I couldn't get a bigger engine on my name.

To me it's the worlds best looking car, but I allways liked the E30's and having one of your own is a special occasion then. Recently I bought another one with a 2.5l M20 engine. But will post some pictures of that one later.

Here's my current 316:

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice. We have an '85 323i (manual, air con) here, with over 340000kms on the clock, no engine rebuilds or anything. You look after her, she'll go for ever.

I was planning to buy a 323i with M gearbox, but the seller didn't call me back or answered his phone :s So bought a 325i instead, but this is a touring... Still, 8.8s wont be bad.

The E30 do last forever, just give some attention to the cars and they always make you happy. But when you disrespact the car, it's like they want to pay you back

I did 1700km with mine in less then a day, and just checked the oil, water and pumped up the tires a bit harder and the car did it without any problems! For a car of that age...

it's a 316 and it has a 1.8l engine? shouldn't ot have a 1.6?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

No, only the face lift 316i had a 1.6l M40 engine. This one is a 1.8, lots of people make that mistake.

All E46 318i BMWs here have 2l 4s in em. Dunno about the E36s. Same as the 118i.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Wow i'ev always wanted to ask about the E30's I was so close to buying one a few months back but I wan't sure about how much insurance or repairs would end up costing me. I got turned off cause i though finding replacements would be tough and expensive...hope it isn't for you but message me about them I haven't desided on what to get now and maybe you can change my mind
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    Wow i'ev always wanted to ask about the E30's I was so close to buying one a few months back but I wan't sure about how much insurance or repairs would end up costing me. I got turned off cause i though finding replacements would be tough and expensive...hope it isn't for you but message me about them I haven't desided on what to get now and maybe you can change my mind
    I have to say, the car doesn't cost that much, the only thing it does, is use a lot of fuel. But with the 12liters it uses each 100kms, I can live with it.

I don't know where you live, but here in Belgium it's quite easy to find some E30's on a scrap yard. My dad bought this car for 500euros... But this was a real good deal (that's why I got it even I couldn't get a license yet). And I had a little accident with this one, and tought of rebuilding the hood, but I found a shop, where they sold used hoods for only 10euro's...

I'm now changing the gearbox from 4speed to 5speed, and the gearbox did cost me 100euro's, so if you look at it, replacement parts do come cheap. But if you live in the USA, I think they are not that common?

So, today I wanted to get my 325i, but the salesman said he couldn't bring it to the check up (don't know the word, you have to get your car there every year and then they look if your car is still good for the road). But he said that last week as well and since I had allready a insurance for that car, I went over there and ask for a test drive. If he refused I know something was wrong.

The salesmen started to give me extra stuff for the car, spare parts and stuff like that, like he was going to bribe me. So I went for a test drive, and yes, the car was just a piece of crap. Brakes wearn't working, light's didn't work, etc....

So I went to another guy that was selling an E30 as well, but a 320i coupé. I saw the car, and I was sold to it imediatly! I test drive the car, and the sound coming of the engine was just incredible. After warming up the engin, I took it for a spin, and it just puts donuts like it was just made for doing that! Really, this car is just a dream!
    Last edited by CAS; 04-06-2006 at 11:18 AM.

Uploaded the pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

does that 320i have a limited-slip diff.?
    either way, i bet it really does sound great...i had a 325is with no muffler and it sounded amazing at high revs...
    E30s are great cars, ive had three and i would probably have my fourth right now if i hadnt found my E23 732i

Quote Originally Posted by BMW325
    does that 320i have a limited-slip diff.?
    either way, i bet it really does sound great...i had a 325is with no muffler and it sounded amazing at high revs...
    E30s are great cars, ive had three and i would probably have my fourth right now if i hadnt found my E23 732i
    Im not sure of it, it makes donut like it is nothing, but if you corner tight, I think one wheel starts slipping if you accelerate hard. It does drive better then my E30 without limited slip.

I will test it out later by doing a majore burn out

I have to say, it only has 129bhp, but the car is so much fun, I drive my dad's porsche once and a while, and this car just sounds better then the boxer engine!

My God! We have a bipolar member!!

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    My God! We have a bipolar member!!
    My english isn't that good, but isn't that the same as depressive?

Quote Originally Posted by CAS
    My english isn't that good, but isn't that the same as depressive?
    Means that you have two personalities

Thread Information