Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is better V8 or turboed 6?

Which is better V8 or turboed 6?

Ive always loved V8s the power the torque and how quick they r over a quarter mile. But ive made a few new friends and they hav turboed 6 cylinders that make awsome power. Just wondered which one everyone else would own or prefer?

in this manner you cannot make a proper comparison.Post details about power-output etcetera of both the engines you mean.We cannot just compare "any V8"vs. "any turbo-ed v6",thats just impossible.be specific dude.

dont forget that the F6 makes more torque than its V8 brothers.....and any other aussie car

but id go a Supercharged V8
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    I'd say V6 in general, either turbo'ed or NA.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

i think you should check the bhp and the displacement that might give you ruff idea(bhp>displacement)
    but supercharged V8's are much more fun
    why go for a v6 when you can go for a v8

Turboed V8 of course even more power, there is no substitute for cubic inches, plus a well exhausted like a TVR sounds better IMHO than any V6 ever, there are so many so called turboed 600+ Straight 6 skyline's and Supras and V6 Z32's around that are up to 2 seconds slower than a 500bhp Z32 SBC, I guess a lot of the 6 cylinder turbo boys haven't got as much power as they think they have, besides there are tuners in the states producing SBC's with twin turbo's producing as much as 1500bhp try getting that from a 6 cylinder again there is no substitute for cubic inches.
    Final nail in the 6 cylinder coffin, for the Hybrid builder most of the 6 cylinder engines worth having are way more expensive / bhp than their V8 counterparts.
    I cannot think of any reason to choose a 6 cylinder over a V8 unless the price of the V6 is right, for example my 170 V6 SLK Kompressor V 171 SLK55, interestingly they both have similar outputs and the V6 can be tuned to produce much more power much more cheaply than the N/A SLK55 now if this had the SL55 Kompressor engine it would ne a different story in terms of power and also price.............
    1973 660Z (550bhp), 1978 280Z (170bhp), 1991 300zxtt approx 320bhp no cat, 1991 Golf GTI 16V (TSR 2litre) 150bhp, 1991 Audi V8 Quattro (260bhp) no cat, 1991 Honda CRX 1.5 circa 75bhp, 1997 E200 (136bhp) urgently needs LS1 engine, 1998 Golf GTtdi (110bhp), 1999 Ssanyong Korando, 3.2 24valve (220bhp), 2001 AMG SLK32 (347bhp) soon to be modified, 2001 Jaguar XK8 (300bhp)
    All the above are LHD
    1988 944turboS RHD (sold) sob, sob, sob

Quote Originally Posted by 660z
    Turboed V8 of course even more power
    nothing like torque from a supercharger!
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Noble M12s use a turbocharged V6 ... I've made my choice In general the V8s that have been produced are too big 'n brash for my liking. Sometimes that isn't a bad thing but I'd prefer something that feels light than something that feels powerful.

For absolute power it has to be a turbo, but for obeying emission laws it has to be a big V8.

Quote Originally Posted by 660z
    again there is no substitute for cubic inches.
    You're probably right but I think the question was an NA V8 versus a turbo'd 6 and we all know there is no replacement for forced induction.

Quote Originally Posted by mr jinx
    nothing like torque from a supercharger!
    Nothing like the low thermal efficiency and parasitic loss from a supercharger. :P

Turbo 6 Vs V8. Turbo's can have there bad days and times, To hot, etc.
    A V8 can pretty much run fine in all weather.

I like Supercharged cars like the V6S/C in the Holden's, A little kit on it and bang it's topping 600Nm and would give anything a massive run off the mark to 100.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    The 3.5L V6 in the Infiniti G35 Coupe sounds so sweet, they're offering 300hp if you buy the 6MT Transmission. Renault Clio V6 is another example. Also, the NSX's NA V6 is good too, but if you're looking for a turbo, check under the GT-R's hood.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

yeh what he said^^^^
    I aint know "rookie"
    2006 Ford Mustang 4.6 V8 Premium GT
    2008 Chrysler 300C SRT Design
    2007 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2
    1972 MG Midget 1275

Too many variables of which might be better in specific situation. Generally, I prefer NA and so for the same power I'd prefer V8.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

A NA V8 has limitations... cant rev, most dont breathe too well... without forced induction youd be lucky to pull out over 400KW from any V8.

Turbo 6s... Well, there are many 1000HP+ Supras and Skylines and admittantly these are EXTREME applications. There was a comment about reliability in turbos and owning one i know, in extreme heat (38 degree days) they just wont hack it without extreme heat sheilding.

Basically for nuts power go a turbo 6
    for reliable all day every day power get an 8

for PSYCHO power get a blown twin turbod V8
    Last edited by Blue Supra; 01-16-2006 at 07:15 PM.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    A NA V8 has limitations... cant rev, most dont breathe too well... with forced induction youd be lucky to pull out over 400KW from any V8.
    I think you are mistaken.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 01-15-2006 at 05:49 PM.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information