Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bugatti Roadster?

The car itself sounds fantastic car and built under VAG, so methinks like 2ndClass-, an uber-TT is the likely template. VAG is kinda in a bind when it comes to placing new models. The Phaeton proved that; even excellent products need some sort of a defined market segment. Now, a re-skinned TT with Supercar pretensions?

A better Bugatti whould be built off one of the numerous Audi concepts. A V8 or V10-powered car with AWD would make a much better alternative to the Porsche's high-end cars, an entry level Ferrari, or the Gallardo. That would make for a much better placement for an entry level Bugatti.

**VAG marketing, hire me.
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 05-02-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I never liked the revival of Bugatti, but downgrading it to compare a Bugatti with a TT is plain awful.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

By the way most of you have spoken out, I would say VAG succeded on re-launching the Bugatti name with the Veyron exercise. A couple years ago we would associate it with a company that did nice sports cars long ago and was defunct. Now, you associated it with an exclusive product with high performance.

So logically next step is to try get some cash out of their investment. Everybody wants to emulate Porsche nowdays, as it is "the most profitable" car company in the world (although I don't know if they are measuring net profits, margin or return on investment). Fighting head on with the 911 icon is something few will do, so they logically aimed at the boxter/cayman market.

What I don't really get is that Porsche bought some VW stock (20%) last year, so it's weird that they would try to cannibalize their markets...

Edit: Forgot about the real issue so, yes I like the roadster, a lot! Produce it and kill the TT...
    Zag when they Zig

disgusting it is like a rolls royce to compete with a honda civic.
    i like it when you call me big mommy.

Porsche said they weren't worried about making any money off the Veyron. Did they say they weren't worried about making any money off Bugatti? I don't know. If they said that then naturally they would want something that a lot of people could actually afford so they may possibly get a return on the Bugatti name or it may die off again in the future. Maybe everyone has misunderstood VW comments. I'm not saying they have, I'm just saying that this could be why they want to do a more affordable sports car. Getting back to the point of this thread, I like the look of the car. I have always liked the look of the Veyron and this car looks slightly similar. I think only people who know about cars would know that you didn't pay $3,000,000 for your car.

dont think it'll happen

looks like a bad chop

would VW really corrupt bugatti like that?
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE
    (UCP'S biggest Zonda fan)

Stand up next to a mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand. Pick up all the peices make an island over there
    Jimi H...

They need to do a four seater, two-door coupe GT thing. It needs to be as modern and cutting edge as the Veyron but about €800,000 cheaper! It needs to come out soon too, to cash in on the Veyron - good luck VW!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

i agree completely, they need an extreme front engine coupe, andthis time dont show a styling model until they sort out the cooling and the aerodynamics. and make it profitable this time.

im thinking that volkswagen has shown at least three two seater concepts lately. but um no, it would make no sense at all with a bugatti badge

Keeping the high prestige is a must. Competition with a Boxter/Cayman is too low for a Bugatti but, Bugatti has got a name now, would it be possible to make a limited, all paw 911T and up competitor and still make money?
    There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.

I really like the idea. Its a neat looking picture of the car as well.
    Top 10:
    1) Mclaren F1
    2) Dodge Viper
    3) BMW M5
    4) Ferrari F430
    5) Ferrari Enzo
    6) Corvette Z06
    7) Lamborghini Gallardo
    8) 1967 AC Cobra 427
    9) 1971 Hemi Cuda
    10) Mercedes SL55 AMG

I say Bugatti needs something exotic yet affordable...

Volkswagen was developing the GX3 concept with help from Lotus...perhaps they should hold off on making a VW-badged GX3 and use the platform for a lightweight exotic yet affordable and profitable Bugatti. Bolt a supercharger on the engine and have it go up against the Ariel Atom. Its speculated that if the GX3 came out that it would cost about US$17000...but Bugatti could make some nice profit if they charge a still reasonable $25000-$30000 and then VW can release their version once the exclusitivity factor is gone 2-3 years later. Perhaps there could even be a Bugatti spec racing series that tours with F1?
    Last edited by BMW325; 05-10-2006 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    even excellent products need some sort of a defined market segment.

A better Bugatti whould be built off one of the numerous Audi concepts. A V8 or V10-powered car with AWD would make a much better alternative to the Porsche's high-end cars, an entry level Ferrari, or the Gallardo. That would make for a much better placement for an entry level Bugatti.

so youre suggesting that VAG have the R8, Gallardo, (even the Continental GT somewhat is here) AND a new Bugatti all in what is more or less the same segment? That doesnt sound very defined.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW325
    I say Bugatti needs something exotic yet affordable...

Volkswagen was developing the GX3 concept with help from Lotus...perhaps they should hold off on making a VW-badged GX3 and use the platform for a lightweight exotic yet affordable and profitable Bugatti. Bolt a supercharger on the engine and have it go up against the Ariel Atom. Its speculated that if the GX3 came out that it would cost about US$17000...but Bugatti could make some nice profit if they charge a still reasonable $25000-$30000 and then VW can release their version once the exclusitivity factor is gone 2-3 years later. Perhaps there could even be a Bugatti spec racing series that tours with F1?
    But what would that do to the Bugatti name? The GX3 is more like a Morgan supersports, something that existed when the real Bugattis were made and it was little more than a 3-wheeled motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW325
    so youre suggesting that VAG have the R8, Gallardo, (even the Continental GT somewhat is here) AND a new Bugatti all in what is more or less the same segment? That doesnt sound very defined.
    As they already have three in that roughly defined segment, yes. It's always easier to come down than go up, as was the case with the Phaeton. Which is the model I was referring to when I said, needing a defined market segment. A VW sedan for a 100K? Really now, c'mon!!

The GX3 is coming down a little too much. Akin to going to a top-rated restaurant that specializes in fillet mignon and asking them to also offer two-tacos-for-a-buck. Just doesn't fit...the image of Bugatti is what I was saying, to sell tarted up TTs.
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 05-10-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Thread Information