Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW Concept Coupe Mille Miglia 2006

WOW! That is one of the most amazing concepts that I've ever clapped eyes on.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

From the front and sides this thing is beautiful, but I have yet to get used to that red light strip running down the back, it kind of spoils the image. Its too awkward to look at.

I think the large round LED lights on the front are a shame. I don't think they are necessary. The car is a piece of sculpture showing the old car with the new modern sculpted surfacing that only BMW has.
    It's as if BMW are playing to a crowd of 12 year olds, and feel without the big round lights people wont connect this car with the previous.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I totally disagree. It pays homage to the original with it's silhouette and overall styling, but the rear especially is thoroughly modern. The rear window is asymetrical and the single LED strip for the taillights is avante gard to say the least. The large LED panels on the front in place of the original headlights is a great way to keep the character of the original with modern technology. The headlights above are thoroughly modern and give the MM a more evil and aggressive look. The opening canopy top is a new twist on the original. I wish there were some pictures of the interior and of the structure of the opening top.
    I'm with you on this. Although I'm not a fan of Bangle-era cars, this is something very special, even containing his design clues. If you take a look at the side of the car, you can see the same creases that are visible on a Z4. I also agree that the rear led is something fantastic. I don't know if it's legal to have rear lights at different heights, but this car shows that asymmetry can work on car designing.
    I love the original MM, and I think it's great to see BMW pay this homage to their heritage.
    It's also an exercise that shows that BMW is still the only german maker (exception for Porsche, maybe...) putting some passion in to their work and their image.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Holy Hell that roof opening is weird.

Anything retro, whether paying homage or outright plagerism, is merely repeating what's already been said, design wise at least.

As they say, the past is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    As they say, the past is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.
    Than see this as a mere visit, since obviously you won't see one of this on the road.

Sometimes, I don't know if would mind living in the past.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Holy Hell that roof opening is weird.

Anything retro, whether paying homage or outright plagerism, is merely repeating what's already been said, design wise at least.

Life is a circle. Look at fashion and music. Look at all of human history. It's natural for everything to cycle. Why should auto design be any different?
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 90ft
    I think the large round LED lights on the front are a shame. I don't think they are necessary. The car is a piece of sculpture showing the old car with the new modern sculpted surfacing that only BMW has.
    It's as if BMW are playing to a crowd of 12 year olds, and feel without the big round lights people wont connect this car with the previous.
    Taking away those large round headlights on the front would have been similar to the way the quad taillights were removed from the 599 GTB. It wouldn't look bad, but it would drastically change the character of the car.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

I'm a bit late to add my opinion, but this cannot be ignored.

First, the areas I don't like that much:
    The headlights do look great, but it looks like it was glued on as an after-thought. This is made worse by the fact that the bodywork doesn't accommodate the headlights as it did on the originals (hope that made sense).
    The triangular exhausts along the sides just doesn't seem to gel. Leave this to Dodge with their Viper and Mercedes with their SLR.
    Call me conservative, but I would have loved this even more if it featured a symmetric rear window and rear-lights.

OK, that's the dislikes out of the way, now the stuff I like about it:
    Love the lines!
    The amount of glass in comparison to the amount of metal is great! I especially love the split wind-shield, and those wipers! Think the roof is amazing as well, especially from the side. An automotive teardrop if I ever saw one.
    Speaking of the split wind-shield, gotta like the line that runs through the grille, over the bonnet and into the windshield.
    The lines along the sides are amazing. They don't flow into one another, but just make sense somehow. The usual BMW "kick" in the window-line is a neat touch, as is the beige leather strap in the 'Z' on the side. Would love to know what it's actual purpose is.
    The enclosed rear-wheel arches are just poetic!
    The rear-view mirrors look bloody fantastic! F1 touch one a Gotham design!
    From what I could see of the seats:
    I would love to see the cockpit of this car. If the exterior is anything to go by, it should be just as special inside.

Overall: Love it, love it, love it! Reminds me just exactly why I love cars. Why don't we see more concepts from BMW? Especially if the concepts are as special as this?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Life is a circle. Look at fashion and music. Look at all of human history. It's natural for everything to cycle. Why should auto design be any different?
    Because the greatest leaps forward in design are made when people jump outside the circle.

Fashion - The Bikini is a good example.

Music - Punk Rock.

Car Design - Bangle? I don't like it, but I think it's a good thing to have.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy revisionary work, but i just think it lacks a certain creative spark.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information