Thread: Multiple throttle bodies - why would you install them?

Multiple throttle bodies - why would you install them?

What is the reason behind the installation of multiple throttle bodies insted of a big single (apart from them looking cool)?

Quote Originally Posted by Azon
    What is the reason behind the installation of multiple throttle bodies insted of a big single (apart from them looking cool)?
    well if you have multiple engines i can imagine,but otherwise ?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    well if you have multiple engines i can imagine,but otherwise ?
    I am not quite sure whether you were trying to be funny there or were serious, but even some standard (although performance oriented) engines use individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, for example sr20det engines out of Nissan Pulsar GTi-R.

You get better air flow and in a well designed head you can mount the injector in the optimum point in the throttle body for ideal fuel/air mix flow.

BUT just sticking an arbitrary tb on any old car is likely to DOWNGRADE the performance.

And for all the ricers .... it makes for GREAT inducion noise
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    i'm sold! it will go well with my non-functional boost gauge
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I am not quite sure whether you were trying to be funny there or were serious, but even some standard (although performance oriented) engines use individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, for example sr20det engines out of Nissan Pulsar GTi-R.
    i was serious (this time) .But i had never heard it being used on stock cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    You get better air flow and in a well designed head you can mount the injector in the optimum point in the throttle body for ideal fuel/air mix flow.

BUT just sticking an arbitrary tb on any old car is likely to DOWNGRADE the performance.

Well the throttle body upgrade was not gonna go on a standard motor anyway, but an old one... out of curiosity how would it downgrade the performance of an old motor? As far as i understand it will only sharpen the throttle response on an otherwise stock motor but why would it downgrade its performance?

Well the throttle body upgrade was not gonna go on a standard motor anyway, but an old one... out of curiosity how would it downgrade the performance of an old motor? As far as i understand it will only sharpen the throttle response on an otherwise stock motor but why would it downgrade its performance?
    If you were to fit a too short ( or too long ) one that didnt' take into account the flow IN the head to the valve opening then you can make things worse.

Proper t/b installs are evaluated and tuned for optimum shape , radius and length.

Older cars tend to be less sophisticated in head design wrt intake flow

Get it right and you can make it beter. Blindly buy a bit from a store and expect to plug it on and "improve" things will most likely be a dissapointment -- except hfor the induction noise
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information