Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 997 GT3 REALLY being driven

Maybe there's some show-boating involved with the shooting of that vid but on demand oversteer has it's uses. Imagine heading toward a guardrail or cliff face, understeering. One solution; slam brakes to bring nose back in line or more elegant, a little power oversteer and the car's pointing the right way again.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Anyways the car does look amazing in white...
    Alot of cars these days look good in white, eg. VW Golf GTI, All 997 911, Ford GT, etc
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    aah jason plato. god's greatest gift to the driving seat
    lol..
    In UK's CAR magazines top 10 BTCC moments # 4 was: "Williams BTCC boss Tim Newton assembled an entire Laguna from the panels Jason Plato dented, and dumped the result in his back garden"

IMHO Plato is a wanker.
    He took the crown from Tiff as "driver most up his own arse" a few seasons back
    He STILL plays the aggresive tit and blames it on everyone else or shrugs and says its "just racing" ... but anyone DARE to punt him off and he cries like a 2 year old !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Not to hijack the thread but I have a question on the trigger for a while now...

I haven't been able to identify Jason Plato's accent properly. It's quite different from any other presenter so I think it's not fancy "Londonish" (I call it "posh"), and it's certainly not Scotish. I know he is from Oxford, but I don't think his accent is from there, or is it?
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    He STILL plays the aggresive tit and blames it on everyone else or shrugs and says its "just racing" ... but anyone DARE to punt him off and he cries like a 2 year old !!!
    Well, being a former-F1 Champions brother is hard to live up to....

wait....

you werent talking about Ralf Schumacher??
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    Not to hijack the thread but I have a question on the trigger for a while now...

I haven't been able to identify Jason Plato's accent properly. It's quite different from any other presenter so I think it's not fancy "Londonish" (I call it "posh"), and it's certainly not Scotish. I know he is from Oxford, but I don't think his accent is from there, or is it?
    He doesnt seem to have the posh oxford accent...I am well placed to say that as i am from oxford...... and i think i have that posh sort of accent and his accent isnt like mine
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    He doesnt seem to have the posh oxford accent...I am well placed to say that as i am from oxford...... and i think i have that posh sort of accent and his accent isnt like mine
    yep, oxford born. Educated at Kings School in Tynemouth tho' - an expensive and relatively exclusive private school targetting to feed OxBridge.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost
    lol..
    In UK's CAR magazines top 10 BTCC moments # 4 was: "Williams BTCC boss Tim Newton assembled an entire Laguna from the panels Jason Plato dented, and dumped the result in his back garden"
    Where can i find pictures of the Laguna made from dented parts?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Where can i find pictures of the Laguna made from dented parts?
    lol...
    I wish there was some.. and I had them...
    But there was no picture of it in the CAR-magazine...
    sorry mate, jason probably got rid of it as fast as it landed in his back yard..

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    wow, demonstrate how good an investment of £60K is by making it go round corners SLOWER

Sorry guys it "looks good" in the same way triple wings and a fart can makes a Honda "look good" in a F&F kind way

Drifting -- the new curse after ricing on REAL performance driving !!!
    The problem is I still can't understand what's wrong.

I think McReis's siggy was something about having fun with an Mk1 Golf standard-fitted with a "slippy diff", quoted from EVO. If people want to and are "acceptably allowed" to drift with small cars and have so much fun just why not something like the GT3? It has much more power so that would help a bit with the size of the drift and why take it so seriously on a fun weekend? True it's purpose built for going fast but there's no harm with drifting it when you get tired of just going fast.

I got annoyed with Clarkson when in the "Heaven and Hell '05" episode he went somewhere along the lines of, "And so if you want to have fun and go a bit fast while you're on a track, get the Monaro. If you just want to go fast, get yourself an EVO," which was probably BS because he was clearly having fun getting enormously sideways with the FQ400 in the initial show. Either way he indirectly noted many times (taking example of a "crazy" Zonda) supercars are to be had fun with once in a while otherwise they just become supermarket accessories.

Agreed spi, BUT the title said "REALLY being driven" and it's not
    It's being driven SLOWER than it could, BUT it's appalling to the F&F and drifting brigade who think slamming a car, adding fart cans locking up diffs and "Looking like the movies" is fast.

Actually a VERY fast car is totally NON-DRAMATIC
    Blame Hollywood for creating that squealing tyres, sideways BS in every chase

For sure being able to occasionally stick it out there is fun.
    But then it's not reflecting the performance of the car and it's nit being driven to it's limit.
    The drifting fad is about getting the car to break traction at a LOWER limit than it would "normally".

It's like buying the best Aberdeen Angus steak and then putting it through the McDonalds mincer and "additives" machine. It's different, may be "fun" but it sure is something lesser than what was before ( hey my McDOnalds/Steak allegory is getting well used tonight )

Great video! It's wonderful that someone drives it as it was meant to be.

Agreed spi, BUT the title said "REALLY being driven" and it's not
    I disagree - if it had been someone Dritfting the car (note capital 'D'), I wouldn't have posted it - as you said, Matra, drifting is the 'art' of getting a car to go sideways far sooner than it should. He is just utterly hammering it - there's no doubt he's provoking it, but you couldn't say he was driving slowly! Slower than he could perhaps, but not drifting slow.
    Last edited by MrKipling; 05-25-2006 at 03:33 AM.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    The problem is I still can't understand what's wrong.

I think McReis's siggy was something about having fun with an Mk1 Golf standard-fitted with a "slippy diff", quoted from EVO. If people want to and are "acceptably allowed" to drift with small cars and have so much fun just why not something like the GT3? It has much more power so that would help a bit with the size of the drift and why take it so seriously on a fun weekend? True it's purpose built for going fast but there's no harm with drifting it when you get tired of just going fast.

I got annoyed with Clarkson when in the "Heaven and Hell '05" episode he went somewhere along the lines of, "And so if you want to have fun and go a bit fast while you're on a track, get the Monaro. If you just want to go fast, get yourself an EVO," which was probably BS because he was clearly having fun getting enormously sideways with the FQ400 in the initial show. Either way he indirectly noted many times (taking example of a "crazy" Zonda) supercars are to be had fun with once in a while otherwise they just become supermarket accessories.
    two points

1) mcreis was/is on about a mx5 not a golf

2) evo's don't normally drift as in the video IIRC. then tend to 4 wheel drift like a rally car due to the 4 wheel drive
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Thread Information