Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official UCP Ownership Challenge

When introduced, the Pagode had to fill in the void between the 190SL (the women car) and the 300 SL Roadster (the men car), which were both discontinued. I remember that not everybody in Europe was perfectly happy about it, as the Pagode was too much 190 oriented and therefore not "manly" enough. Seeing what the purpose of your car is, that critique might have been right.
    This not withstanding the fact that Eugen Böhringer already won the Spa-Sofia-Liege in 1963 in a 230 SL, aptly named Rennpagode. So I think the car itself is sporty enough to warrant the factory alloys, (I think I would also like to see Campagnolos on there) to stand out from the skinny tyres and whitewall tyres that were much more common in the USA.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

My point was the the wheels are busy and need a busy body shape (the SLC in particular) to be carried off with effect.

on the smooth sides of the SL they look overwrought and needlessly complex, whereas the steelies with hubcap continue the smooth and unfettered line.

To each his own, absolutely And by all means if you would like to give me this SL I will be most pleased - although a RHD conversion might be needed
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

compared to some modern stuff the period Mercedes alloys look rather restrained. (but might be a bitch to keep clean....)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

These are pretty, and simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I don't like gaping holes in wheels....

WTF?!? Now you're just skimmin'. What do those mod 5-spokes have to do with a vintage SL? Repeat: the bundt-style alloys
    were a factory option for the 280SL. Deal with it. No Like is cool... pointless contrarianism, not so much.

Yeah Henk, the 113 wasn't initially at all well recieved in Europe. It took rally wins to make the connection for sales on the continent. But Mercedes had it's eye on the US market, much like Porsche. Worked out pretty well financially, though in both cases the result was a dilluted product. And yes, the wheels are a pita to keep clean.

Know where to find any Campys? Would looooove to have a set!
    Last edited by csl177; 06-08-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: courtesy
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    WTF?!? Now you're just skimmin'. What do those mod 5-spokes have to do with a vintage SL? Repeat: the bundt-style alloys
    were a factory option for the 280SL. Deal with it. No Like is cool... pointless contrarianism, not so much.
    This was directed a Henks comment RE: Modern Mercedes Alloys. Take a chill pill.

I'm not doubting the authenticity, I'm making a statement purely based upon aesthetic. Not intending to be Mary Mary, but I'm within my rights (and skills set) to make an aesthetic choice.

So, in conclusion, ner ner

This was directed a Henks comment RE: Modern Mercedes Alloys. Take a chill pill.

I'm not doubting the authenticity, I'm making a statement purely based upon aesthetic. Not intending to be Mary Mary, but I'm within my rights (and skills set) to make an aesthetic choice.

I was actually referring to alloys in general, not Mercedes specific ones, I have no idea what they currently look like....the ones you showed me I found ugly.
    A classic Campagnolo or Gotti wheel is acceptable....

On some modern cars their alloys are about the only acceptable thing on the exterior of the car.

See: Recent BMW design. And even then, only some of them.

And so it is. Sorry about the miss-post re: newer wheels. Totally chilled. Yes, steelies with hubcaps appeal to most 113 guys.

Skill set: are you a designer?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Just finished an Batchelor of Arts in Architecture - I've got a bit of an arty background

He has a BA in nanas, folks.

Re: the arty, I'm a trained set/prop construction, tv/film art crew, roadie, mythbuster (I wish!) type guy. Steelies with hubcaps must be an artistic guy thing.

Naturally I work in IT now though.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

You theatre kids are all the same. Haters.

I'm an economist and I like the hubcaps too.

Does that make any sense?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm an economist and I like the hubcaps too.

Does that make any sense?
    I am an economist too and I prefer the alloys....
    so, no.

Thread Information