Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the spec sources

the spec sources

where do you get your car specs, lets say if you want to know a 0-60 time or topspeed or weight or whatever , where dou you get it?
    At UCP ? or are there bteer sites do you reckon?

better sites*

Better sites? Don't be stupid
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

anyone use autoweek.nl ?

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46
    anyone use autoweek.nl ?
    for historic cars? Autoweek produces factory figures.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

they date back tot te late 70's , I didn't find anyting more acurate about cars these days ,and there is data of almost every car and every version of it( even the most crappy ones ), of course for historic cars you can't go wrong here at ucp !

Generally I would say that 99.9% of car websites take their weight and performance statistics from the manufacturers' claims in the press releases. For most of the new cars listed in our databases we stick to the manufacturers' claims, it's the most sensible way to go about it.

There may be a few sites which are from the major magazines like Autocar or EVO which might publish some stats from their own personal roadtests carried out in the magazines, but they would be few and far between.

0-60 times and topspeeds etc are always gonna be furiously debated and controversial. Personally, I don't pay an awful lot of attention to the precise stats. The manufacturers' claims are always gonna be right in the ballpark of what the 'truth' is, and a ballpark figure is all you really need IMO. A few kg here and there, or a tenth or two either way on a 0-60 time doesn't really make an awful lot of difference.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    A few kg here and there, or a tenth or two either way on a 0-60 time doesn't really make an awful lot of difference.
    verry true, but the thing is that manufacturers will generally give slower 0-60 figures. because they want to play safe. thoug there also have been cases of manufacturers claiming to have created a verry fast car just to try and boost sales (ex. fso ) so proper specs for everyone, before they buy them selves a big dissapointment :d

they date back tot te late 70's , I didn't find anyting more acurate about cars these days ,and there is data of almost every car and every version of it( even the most crappy ones ), of course for historic cars you can't go wrong here at ucp !
    I just checked, they go back to 1981
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

the original golf gti mk 1 is in the database and that one goes back to 76'

but for the ones dating from before 1980 there is indeed not a good record , but the ones after, eeeeeej,, no match found jet for those
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

the original golf gti mk 1 is in the database and that one goes back to 76'

but for the ones dating from before 1980 there is indeed not a good record , but the ones after, eeeeeej,, no match found jet for those
    do they include cars not available in Holland?

I dont think so , but there are and were some nice cars available in holland.
    but i agree it has its flaws, the thing is, is there a better one?
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

I dont think so , but there are and were some nice cars available in holland.
    but i agree it has its flaws, the thing is, is there a better one?
    I would not know, I never checked what for instance Auto Motor und Sport has.

where do you get your car specs, lets say if you want to know a 0-60 time or topspeed or weight or whatever , where dou you get it?
    At UCP ? or are there bteer sites do you reckon?
    It's almost impossible for one source to have all the cars. Personally, when I'm comparing cars I just make sure that they're tested by the same people.

The manufacturer numbers are always very conservative and are usually bettered by almost any magazine...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv

The manufacturer numbers are always very conservative and are usually bettered by almost any magazine...
    Many times because test cars tend to be the "better" ones,

Thread Information