Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convert MKIV Supra automatic to manual

Convert MKIV Supra automatic to manual

Does anyone know where I can find some info on coverting an automatic 93-98 Supra to manual.
    Google is not my friend on this one. I cant find anything.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    You'er back?

wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a manual one in the first place?
    Thanks for all the fish

Is it the base model or twin turbo...just curious
    Hang on when ya had enough, give more when ya feel like givin up.

I didn't buy anything. I'm just wondering how much it would cost to convert it because it looks like I might be needing another car soon.
    I was looking at an NA one.
    A manual one with the 6 speed Getrag is too hard to find and the price is just insane.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

I'm sure the price would be less than an automatic with a conversion done by someone.

I know some people convert automatic Nissan 240sx's for drifting. Anybody know how much money they spend?
    I'm looking at another ECU. Tranny mounts, some welding and some bolting, the pedals, clutch master cylinder, the center console, maybe some rewiring because of the TCM. The tranny if I can find one used will be at least 1k or 1.5k and I know new it's $3k I think. A used rebuilt Getrag 6 speed tranny is $2695 and I know they didn't used quality Getrag parts.

Thing is that no matter what I don't want another FWD car. It has to be a manual RWD car. I was even looking at a G35 with 140k miles for $14k and I'll buy that over a new FWD car.
    Last edited by QBridge; 06-22-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

Does it have to be a supra? There are Nissan 300zx and 240sxs they'll be quite cheap and there is the Mazda Rx-7. What about american cars? Camaros and the like are pretty cheap but I haven't got a clue if manuals are readily available.

The 300zx is a good car with a nice engine but because of it's weight it's slow. The 300zx engine while I consider it to be a good engine is not as tought as the 2jz so it cant take as much boost so it makes less power. The 240sx would be a good choice but it cant match the Supra's inline 6. The RX7 is the lightest and best looking and cheaper than a Supra but I don't know anything about no rotary engines and I cant be going to the dealer for maintenance and spending thousands more just to keep it running.
    Last edited by QBridge; 06-23-2006 at 01:22 AM.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

supra's weigh 1642kg and a 300zx weighs 1576kg.
    the 300zx engine is good for 600hp on stock internals which is enough as far as most people are concerned.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

If you a rear driven car and don't need the space, why not buy a Mazda MX-5?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Manual Supras with the Getrag 6 speed are all expensive because the Supra Turbo is the one that had the 6 speed, the normal one only had a 5spd. And there were several model years with no manual option. The Supra is getting close to being a GT car and therefore many buyers wanted an auto.

Just go to a transmission place and ask them how much.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    supra's weigh 1642kg and a 300zx weighs 1576kg.
    the 300zx engine is good for 600hp on stock internals which is enough as far as most people are concerned.
    Heh owned. The model he is looking at might weigh slightly less since it doesn't have to lug around any turbos

I prefer RWD as well, but I wouldn't completely vilify FWD. For street use, modern FWDs are so good you'll never know what wheels are drive. Even performance wise, in one Best Motoring test the RSX Type-S outran an RX-8 around TR Motegi...

I drove an Integra GSR for many years and it didn't have any of the bad qualities of FWD. Didn't have enough torque for torque steer and it didn't have terminal understeer, you could coax it to lift-throttle or tap the brakes and get it to oversteer a little.

Have you had tons of bad experiences with FWD, what gives??
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I prefer RWD as well, but I wouldn't completely vilify FWD. For street use, modern FWDs are so good you'll never know what wheels are drive. Even performance wise, in one Best Motoring test the RSX Type-S outran an RX-8 around TR Motegi...

I drove an Integra GSR for many years and it didn't have any of the bad qualities of FWD. Didn't have enough torque for torque steer and it didn't have terminal understeer, you could coax it to lift-throttle or tap the brakes and get it to oversteer a little.

Have you had tons of bad experiences with FWD, what gives??
    I don't know, I've discussed this with QBridge, he's got the Fast and Furious idea going or something....

IIRC, he said, "there is no point in having a fwd car, I want to buy and tune a RWD car so I can street race and make a profit on my investment," or something along those lines.

Whatever.

Thread Information